LifeintheRed

FLO awards - Worst Wrestling Message Board

I've heard the Flo guys on FRL mention at least 5 times in various episodes that this this is the worst wrestling message board out there. I can't understand why they think that- its not like there's a bunch of competition out there. I don't hold it against them that none of them can/have actually wrestled at any kind of competitive level. It's weird to me. Can anyone shed some light as to why this message board is the worst?

4 minutes ago, LifeintheRed said:

I've heard the Flo guys on FRL mention at least 5 times in various episodes that this this is the worst wrestling message board out there. I can't understand why they think that- its not like there's a bunch of competition out there. I don't hold it against them that none of them can/have actually wrestled at any kind of competitive level. It's weird to me. Can anyone shed some light as to why this message board is the worst?

Way too many nasty shots taken at those who disagree with others. 

They say they hate this board, yet they read it and sometimes participate as well. It is far from pleasant here, but neither is FRL when they invariably disagree and yell at each other or get sidetracked by minutiae or deep down rabbit holes to make a point. 

The discussion topics and comments here are also pretty much a cheat sheet for their own talking points. Along with Twitter, the board is probably a necessary evil for them.

Guys it’s just cool to hate on this forum. Same thing happened in mma. At first, Sherdog was full of industry insiders, myself included. Then the “cool” people moved to The Underground forums (I did both because I’m lame and addicted)

Everyone started talking **** about sherdog Forums. 

same thing in bjj. The BJJ subreddit is super polarizing in that community with little justification. 

Wrestling report was great, but I went there strictly for the EIWA forum.  The posts from members was usually very collegial.  
Reasons: 

1.  Most posters were from Ivies and Army/Navy.  Comments were viewed as witty and with much candor (unless you were from Lehigh).  

2.  The old Lehigh grads who were at Lehigh when they were the Engineers (should have been ivy back then).  Those guys are great.  I learn so much history from them.  The rest are mouth breathers.  

3.  A self-proclaimed “By PA wrestlers. For PA wrestlers” website.  Although you would never guess that because the PA posters usually agree that NJ talent wins more championships and intl medals than PA.    

3.  Impartial and objective posters like BS, klehner and BigNick who aren’t averse to eating crow or making excuses.

Downsides:

1.  Cornell separate forum.  Cornell views outsiders (non alum) who post there cordially, but secretly resent them for wanting to be in their elite club.

2.  Lehigh separate forum:  More of a “sky is falling” forum.  Also a place for Lehigh to fight amongst themselves and complain about the coveted Dual Meet Championship standings.  I think people have gone missing over arguments about who should start at 141 and 165 over the years.  Outsiders not welcome.  

3.  REALLY old admin who are extremely knowledgeable on every rule change, rankings site, but haven’t migrated to a more modern forum format.  Really old means when these guys wrestled, the match was in a ring.  

3.  Anyone from Navy who is/was a pilot.  

4.  Any academy alum who was a Platoon Leader during the Cold War who says, “if they can’t win a wrestling match, how can we expect them to win in war.”  EDIT:  Actually, this happens on the football forums.  Don’t think it happened on wresting forums.  I got cornered once when someone did that on a football forum and I asked when they graduated and served.  Upon answering I asked, “what was it like being a platoon leader during the Cold War?”  **** hit the fan.  They accused me of denigrating their service.  I wasn’t denigrating it, I was simply pointing out that my generation could answer their question more accurately than they could.  

Edited by Cptafw164

5 hours ago, pamela said:

They say they hate this board, yet they read it and sometimes participate as well. It is far from pleasant here, but neither is FRL when they invariably disagree and yell at each other or get sidetracked by minutiae or deep down rabbit holes to make a point. 

The discussion topics and comments here are also pretty much a cheat sheet for their own talking points. Along with Twitter, the board is probably a necessary evil for them.

Agreed, they obviously read this board .  Andrew Spey(Jaroslav) is an active member,  what about the others?  

This forum is full of fans of different teams that are often rivals. So yeah, it’s going to get intense sometimes. If you have thin skin then it probably won’t end well. But I enjoy this board. I’ve argued with Iowa guys. I’ve argued with PSU guys. But I still respect their perspective and don’t take anything personally. Where else does Flo expect us to come and talk about wrestling with such a diverse group of posters? Are we just supposed to listen to them and take it as the wrestling gospel and never have a dialogue with other fans about the sport we all love?

This board is far from perfect, but I enjoy the back and forth with all you knuckleheads, whether agreeing or disagreeing. 

There is a lot of bickering and back and forth, but thats whats going to happen when you have fans from a ton of different teams. I think thats what makes this board better then some team boards. If everyone just agrees, theres not much to actually talk about. Its nice to see different perspectives from fans of different teams.

Folks here spend more time arguing/discussing semantics than they do wrestling... Once you figure out who those arguers are,  it becomes way more enjoyable.

We could all name 5-7 posters off the top of our heads who do this.  The issue becomes those said posters would  then argue to the death that they don't do it...

My favorite forum by far.  I'm glad it's here.

On behalf of themat.com, I would like to formally accept the flowrestling award for worst message board. I’ve really enjoyed themat.com era, and I’m glad that it is finally being recognized.

I have to thank those who have made this honor possible. First: legendary athletes like Jadidi, Mocco, Metcalf, and especially all those who must not be named, but were anyway, for providing a plethora of content to discuss. I thank Twitter, Reddit, Snapchat, and instagram for keeping away anyone under the age of 30 and ensuring that the average poster here be a recipient of social security.

But most of all, I thank the great posters of thematic.com, without whom none of this would be possible. Whether it’s simply five words, or an exceptionally long recounting of one’s past state title, every post on this site has made a difference. In fact, legends such as Willie Saylor and LIMarty got their start right here, on this same board we post on today, and the outstanding content that they went on to produce for flo has likely enabled us to win this award today. 

So thank you flo for the honor and congratulations to us all. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

On behalf of themat.com, I would like to formally accept the flowrestling award for worst message board. I’ve really enjoyed themat.com era, and I’m glad that it is finally being recognized.

I have to thank those who have made this honor possible. First: legendary athletes like Jadidi, Mocco, Metcalf, and especially all those who must not be named, but were anyway, for providing a plethora of content to discuss. I thank Twitter, Reddit, Snapchat, and instagram for keeping away anyone under the age of 30 and ensuring that the average poster here be a recipient of social security.

But most of all, I thank the great posters of thematic.com, without whom none of this would be possible. Whether it’s simply five words, or an unnecessarily long diatribe on Metzger’s golf acumen, every post on this site has made a difference. In fact, legends such as Willie Saylor and LIMarty got their start right here, on this same board we post on today, and the outstanding content that they went on to produce for flo has likely enabled us to win this award today. 

So thank you flo for the honor and congratulations to us all. 

Well said.

8 hours ago, LifeintheRed said:

LewBoo and a ton of others no longer post here. Very different now than a number of years ago.

I dont for a second believe any of those guys think this is the worst forum out there. I've been to every message board I can find & nothing comes close to this one. So our people are arguing and bitching. Have you ever been on a political forum? This is nothing. And while some people may have left because they didnt like the forums direction, it's a fact of life people and their interest change as they get older and they move on. Before my son got into wrestling, I mostly read a little bit on wrestling forums and was all over the track and field news forum. People move on in life and just like you move away from friends, your interest change and you move on to other things. I've been to some of the schools sponsored forums and man those are filled with mouth breathers & other clowns. I'll take this one any day of the week.