Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Scorenomore

Headgear prevention concussions?

Recommended Posts

Apologies in advance if this is already covered.  I’ve had bad concussions that literally ruined my life for 2 years to recover, I know it ruined Helen’s career.


Can you guys advise on any headgears that can reduce the potential of concussions?  I know concussions cannot be fully prevented but curious if there is an effective option out there?  Any feedback on the leader or Mercado styles other than no one wears them?

https://batstoi.com/

https://leaderheadgear.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For several years I have suggested combining Head gear with old style bicycling "hairnet" helmet, Basically, pad the straps and add a couple more. But my career ended a couple years before mandatory  earguard era, so my knowledge is not that high

Is the Mercado ii sufficiently ventilated

I could actually see the Mercado as something one could play paintball in. Headhots hurt, and I worry  they could aggravate my tinnitus*so I know longer play nor judge.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RichB said:

For several years I have suggested combining Head gear with old style bicycling "hairnet" helmet, Basically, pad the straps and add a couple more. But my career ended a couple years before mandatory  earguard era, so my knowledge is not that high

Is the Mercado ii sufficiently ventilated

I could actually see the Mercado as something one could play paintball in. Headhots hurt, and I worry  they could aggravate my tinnitus*so I know longer play nor judge.  

My question exactly on the Mercado - I almost see it as a weight loss device rather than something to be worn through practice - maybe that is why it hasn’t caught on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

My question exactly on the Mercado - I almost see it as a weight loss device rather than something to be worn through practice - maybe that is why it hasn’t caught on?

The design of the Mercado looks like there’s pretty good ventilation and protection and I believe it’s approved for use in competition at the prep through college levels. I think it hasn’t caught on because it’s new and maybe a little weird, but mostly because the price point is insanely high - albeit for a device that is supposed to help protect your brain - for something that is unproven. It’s kind of like seeing an expensive product on Amazon with zero reviews.

The manufacturer should consider sponsoring a team or even providing samples to a club in exchange for honest reviews, but it kind of sounds like they are working laterally and trying to make inroads with sports like rugby, indoor soccer and MMA.

All that being said: if you’ve had multiple concussions that required multiple years of recovery time, I hope you’re taking it easy and taking precautions with your wrestling! Devices like headgear are meant to be mitigative, and not totally preventative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problems with new products like these is there isn’t any research behind it. They basically are coming to market at a high price point and saying “trust us this will help to prevent concussions” and then they throw up “developed by top researches at Columbia and NYU” to train and gain validity.

 

Pamela hit the nail on the head. Their best bet to catch on would be to find a team and sponsor them. It would probably be a D2 school or something small, but getting their product distributed to the market and seeing some kind of results is their best bet right now. 
 

Kind of reminds me of Luke Keuchly if anyone watches the panthers. He used that product called a “concussion collar” from a company called neuroshield I believe. They supplied it to him for free for advertisements and he wore it for the rest of his career before he retired a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headgear, helmets, etc., actually encourage head to head contact. These devices do not prevent concussions. Just like they don't completely prevent cauliflower ear. Imo headgear is an old school, bullcrap device that needs to go. Sorry if that hurts feelings, also not sorry if that hurts feelings.

It is much like kinesio tape.

Edited by LHU125

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LDR headgear has research behind it. Helmets are to hot and may offer to much protection that guys will use head even more. LDR is very light and resembles what most headgear look like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Banker said:

The LDR headgear has research behind it. Helmets are to hot and may offer to much protection that guys will use head even more. LDR is very light and resembles what most headgear look like. 

Genuinely curious about this. Could you post a link to the research?  I am very skeptical that any helmet could significantly prevent your brain for rattling around inside your head, but it would be a phenomenal innovation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently purchased this for my high school son after coming back from a concussion. So far it has been great in regard to fit and staying put on his head (significantly better than the LDR headgear in this regard);  It's got a great tightening feature once you have it on your head..but you need someone to do it for you.  

As far as concussion prevention....it has got to be better than just regular head-gear.  

I'm happy with the purchase so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Headgear, helmets, etc., actually encourage head to head contact. These devices do not prevent concussions. Just like they don't completely prevent cauliflower ear. Imo headgear is an old school, bullcrap device that needs to go. Sorry if that hurts feelings, also not sorry if that hurts feelings.

It is much like kinesio tape.

They don't prevent cauliflower ear unless they actually wear them. I wrestled for ~20 years and I don't have cauliflower ears because I wore headgear in every single match (even FS, which didn't require headgear back in the day). I NEVER wore them in practice, however, and as a result one of my ears has a nick in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was from their website. I know they have presented to NFHS board in the past. I am pretty sure they did other testing as well that they presented to the board. Other companies presented headgear also and they were not as impressed with them as they were with the LDR. 

 

https://leaderheadgear.com/pages/wrestling-headgear-impact-study

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...