MSU158

Was DeSanto injured?

I am not going to make a poll where you can answer anonymously. I would actually like to see each  person answer this. Honestly, I am completely shocked by the responses that clearly say he faked it or strongly imply it. 

So for clarity, man up and put your thoughts here. 

To be clear, I think he was clearly Injured during the toe turn and everything after that should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Injured. I had to rewatch it a few times to notice RBY had two hands on the lower leg (one on the foot) and pulled against the joint while Desanto was very low to the mat, hips all the way down (which further limits your knee mobility outward). It was not intentional by RBY and unfortunate for Desanto. The tweak was legit. I think it was a sprain at worst though. Don’t think it was a severe injury. 

After staying at a Holiday Inn Express last evening to garner wisdom on this topic, I have concluded an injury did occur. The injury was to his psyche. He was jumping around just fine during the heavyweight match. His coaches seem perplexed by his default. They might protect his psyche by claiming injury and sitting him out a minimal amount of time to bolster this stance but he will be fine for the Big 10s and NCAAs. 

I respect ADS wrestling ability and intensity. However, nothing about the second stoppage is convincing of an injury.  Nothing went against a joint and it was as clean as can be. 

my vote is that we see a typical ADS at big tens and ncaas and therefore no real injury.  

Definitely injured, but obviously not sure to what extent. And if its bad, well Desantos pace oriented style could be severely limited to a greater extent then say Yianni. Nolf was able to over come it but, Nolf is Nolf.

Injured.

As someone pointed out in another thread, ADS broke his grip on RBY's leg before the cradle was locked up.  Why would he make up an injury before he was even cradled?

How severely injured and whether he exacerbated the effect of his injury by overreacting/panicking (as Brands wondered about aloud) is unclear.  But he was injured.  

Am I missing something? Why would he fake an injury? Because RBY locked up a cradle and hadn’t even begun to turn it? Seriously? 

1) Out of the entire NCAA field, Desanto is the last one I would think of backing down from anything/anyone/any situation. We know his high school story with Lee. We know he has a competitive spirit that has even gotten him into trouble.

2) Watch the initial instance again. Desanto is the one in on a leg. When RBY pulls the toe towards himself to get the cradle, Desanto immediately lets go of the leg and screams enough to get the stopped from the ref. 

I’m far from a Desanto supporter but these threads are baffling to me. 

Injured...

BUT not to the extent that his reaction(s) would indicate. As Brands said, DeSanto doesn’t have much of an injury history. First notable injury (even a tweak can be an injury) is not always something people handle well  

Add to that, it’s against one of your toughest competitors, in the biggest dual of the year, at the home arena, and you’re part of the 1-2 punch that jumpstarts the team?

DeSanto was injured. And, with no disrespect intended here, that injury in combination with the way the match was going, mentally broke him.

11 minutes ago, RavishingRickRude said:

I’m far from a Desanto supporter but these threads are baffling to me.

You are obviously new here. Iowa haters and a few PSU fans will do anything to paint Iowa, their wrestlers, and coaches in a negative light. It never stops here. 

Edited by russelscout

He stood up perfectly fine and took a full speed shot after the first injury time then bugged out after getting cradled then got up fine and walked off the mat, then cheered from the bench with no wrap, no ice jumping up and down then his head coach gave a press conference eluding to the fact he could’ve finished the match.

and for all the posts saying “ why would a wrestler just quit in a big match no one would do that” can we stop pretending like Austin desanto is anything like a normal athlete. I have nothing against him but I’ve watched him have about 4 or 5 complete mental breakdowns live on tv and on Flo. It’s very obvious he doesn’t handle losing well in most cases. In my opinion and more importantly a lot of high level wrestlers opinions the guy just gave up last night, if it turns out he has a torn acl I’ll be the first To admitt I was wrong but I think he just broke last night ,good thing these 2 will get another chance to wrestle in a few weeks 

Nobody in an online forum can say for sure but what we can say is that drama seems to follow this kid. Whether it's trying to break an arm at NCAAs or unsportsmanlike behavior after a win there is always something going on with him. If he was hurt then I'm glad they stopped it before things got worse and if he wasn't I'm glad they stopped it before things got worse.

5 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

Nobody in an online forum can say for sure but what we can say is that drama seems to follow this kid. Whether it's trying to break an arm at NCAAs or unsportsmanlike behavior after a win there is always something going on with him. If he was hurt then I'm glad they stopped it before things got worse and if he wasn't I'm glad they stopped it before things got worse.

If Desanto wrestled for another school, most people wouldnt care about anything this year or last. 

Edited by russelscout

Something happened. He broke his grip thre moment RBY tugged on his leg. Hopefully just a sprain and he freaked out because he's never been hurt. I had no major injuries until I tore my meniscus playing football as an adult, and it was terrifying for a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, russelscout said:

If Desanto wrestled for another school, most people wouldnt care about anything this year or last. 

I disagree. People seemed to care a lot when he was at Drexel. Had he transfered to somewhere other than Iowa and behaved in the same fashion they would still be all over him.

15 minutes ago, buckshot1969 said:

He was a head case at Drexel and plenty of people took notice. That is a bad argument.

True, but he also did much worse things. Thats why I specified the last two years. His antics in the last two seasons wouldnt get a rise out of many if any if he wasnt at Iowa.

Edited by russelscout

I think it's very possible that ADS felt pain during the first cradle sequence. However, I doubt that he felt any additional pain during the second cradle sequence.

Unfortunately, the fact that ADS complained of pain during the second sequence makes his complaint of pain during the first sequence seem more suspicious.

But at the end of the day, ADS is a very tough student-athlete. I wish him all the best.

Edited by Katie