MSU158

Was DeSanto injured?

1 minute ago, Molsen said:

If he was faking, Desantos stock drops, he loses the benefit of the doubt (because he has shown to be more controlled and mentally tough since joining iowa) and honestly deserves it. Im sure Iowa fans would prefer him to be healthy though, as frustratin as that would be.

He lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

4 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Only for people who want to look for a reason to dislike him further. It's clear as day on the video once you watch it. Desanto let's go immediately when RBY tugs on his leg. His.hands don't move to defend, they just go to mat. He was injured. Askren in his breakdown on Twitter talked about the move being illegal though often overlooked.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Actually, Askren said "...that was kinda illegal, but they let you do it a lot.  So , maybe not..."  Anyway, while DeSanto appears to have tweaked his knee,  I disagree with those who say it was caused by an illegal move by RBY.  Freak accidents happen in wrestling all the time (e.g. Suriano's injury when he was at Penn State).

I'm not castigating RBY, although that was dangerous, I doubt he's an expert in biomechanics and was just trying to create the best angle to exploit a hole he and his coaches had noted to snag that cradle. His actions caused the injury, but I highly doubt it was malicious nor should he have been DQed.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Scoff all you want. I hope you do take a second look at the video. If you think I'm wrong, please show me. I'm here to learn. I've watched the match closely. If I missed something, I would like to know.

I've watched the video several times, as well as one taken from inside CHA from a different angle.  You've probably only seen the BTN video.  If you really want to learn what happened , you need to view everything with an open mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I'm not castigating RBY, although that was dangerous, I doubt he's an expert in biomechanics and was just trying to create the best angle to exploit a hole he and his coaches had noted to snag that cradle. His actions caused the injury, but I highly doubt it was malicious nor should he have been DQed.

Geez, I'm outta "likes" already and the day is far from over.  Anyway, I agree.

13 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

He lost the benefit of the doubt a long time ago.

There have been others who have done things much much worse, that have been forgiven. He hasnt done anything that bad since his freshman year. Its ridiculous that people are still up in arms about a failed kimura that micic laughed off. If he went to psu, some of you would be giving him the benefit of the doubt in situations like this. If he did in fact fake the injury (which from what I saw doesnt look like it) then well hopefully he gets pinned by RBY next time they wrestle, and it won't matter, that will be on a bigger stage.

8 minutes ago, Molsen said:

There have been others who have done things much much worse, that have been forgiven. He hasnt done anything that bad since his freshman year. Its ridiculous that people are still up in arms about a failed kimura that micic laughed off. If he went to psu, some of you would be giving him the benefit of the doubt in situations like this. If he did in fact fake the injury (which from what I saw doesnt look like it) then well hopefully he gets pinned by RBY next time they wrestle, and it won't matter, that will be on a bigger stage.

Let me ask you this?

If someone put your kid in a kimura lock would you ever give him the benefit out the doubt later? Maybe you would forgive him, but that doesnt mean the slate is clean. Ofcourse people will forever doubt him and as soon as he does a single thing hes going ti be labeled as bad. He literally has to be absolutely perfect for people to not have a bad thought. People arent that forgiving unless they have some incentive to forgive. In Iowa's case theyre forgiving because he wrestles for them. It wasnt too long ago when Hawkeye Nation went crazy over the little FloFlim that was made about it. Had he not come to Iowa you can damn sure bet they would still be pissed about that film.

26 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

I've watched the video several times, as well as one taken from inside CHA from a different angle.  You've probably only seen the BTN video.  If you really want to learn what happened , you need to view everything with an open mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

haha! Nicely done. You got me. I'll admit, as a big Iowa and DeSanto fan, my judgement is probably clouded. I try to look objectively at things, but I probably fail most of the time. This whole situation stinks tbh. I wanted to see a good match and am disappointed at the result, not so much because the guy I was rooting for lost, but because we didn't see the whole thing play out. Injuries stink. I hope DeSanto can heal up properly and if the two meet up again later this season that we'll finally see the fireworks (without any extracurriculars) that we've been waiting for.

44 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Actually, Askren said "...that was kinda illegal, but they let you do it a lot.  So , maybe not..."  Anyway, while DeSanto appears to have tweaked his knee,  I disagree with those who say it was caused by an illegal move by RBY.  Freak accidents happen in wrestling all the time (e.g. Suriano's injury when he was at Penn State).

Sorry for the double post. Didn't see this when I posted my original reply. I agree with you here. I don't think RBY had any malicious intent behind his actions. He was just wrestling hard and did what he had to to secure a tough victory. Tip of the cap to him. He came out much more aggressive than I thought he would.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

haha! Nicely done. You got me. I'll admit, as a big Iowa and DeSanto fan, my judgement is probably clouded. I try to look objectively at things, but I probably fail most of the time. This whole situation stinks tbh. I wanted to see a good match and am disappointed at the result, not so much because the guy I was rooting for lost, but because we didn't see the whole thing play out. Injuries stink. I hope DeSanto can heal up properly and if the two meet up again later this season that we'll finally see the fireworks (without any extracurriculars) that we've been waiting for.

Yes, hopefully we'll see both of them healthy and facing each other again!

29 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Let me ask you this?

If someone put your kid in a kimura lock would you ever give him the benefit out the doubt later? Maybe you would forgive him, but that doesnt mean the slate is clean. Ofcourse people will forever doubt him and as soon as he does a single thing hes going ti be labeled as bad. He literally has to be absolutely perfect for people to not have a bad thought. People arent that forgiving unless they have some incentive to forgive. In Iowa's case theyre forgiving because he wrestles for them. It wasnt too long ago when Hawkeye Nation went crazy over the little FloFlim that was made about it. Had he not come to Iowa you can damn sure bet they would still be pissed about that film.

If the things he does that are bad, are things we see a lot in the sport, then yeah, id probably ignore them. People call him out for face mushes that arent even close to as bad as I've seen Steveson do. Take this incident for example though. I dont think RBY did it to purposely hurt Desanto. That being said the moment i saw it happen i thought desanto might get hurt. If the roles were reversed, I might think theres a chance desanto had some bad intentions to it, do to his history. He has looked and acted so much better since going to iowa, and thats a fact though so ill give him some benefit depending on the situation.

Not that that is really relevant, because if we are going off history, Desanto has never had a history of giving up. So if you are going to assume the worst because of his past, you should also assume the guys not gonna just fake an injury. 

But who knows. Maybe Desanto felt the urge to kimora again, and just knew he needed to get off the mat to stop it. 

Edited by Molsen

His knee was injured when RBY locked up the first cradle. I think DeSanto tried to continue, but was impacted and panicked. I don’t think the second cradle hurt him the same way as the first, but his reaction was a result of his panic and frustration for injuring the knee and not being able to wrestle at 100%.

I took Brand’s comments to mean that he believed DeSanto could have continued through that injury had he calmed down, not that he wasn’t injured at all. I’m sure Brands would have liked to see DeSanto adjust and try to save team points at that point.

No way to know the extent of his injury yet, but he was injured/hurt/impacted in the first exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Injured. I had to rewatch it a few times to notice RBY had two hands on the lower leg (one on the foot) and pulled against the joint while Desanto was very low to the mat, hips all the way down (which further limits your knee mobility outward). It was not intentional by RBY and unfortunate for Desanto. The tweak was legit. I think it was a sprain at worst though. Don’t think it was a severe injury. 

I, too, watched several times and saw nothing against a joint.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t injured.

8 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Come on that’s ridiculous, everyone cared when he tried to break Micic arm while at Drexel.

.... read the post again and then read the follow up one I made after someone said the same as you just did.

Edited by russelscout

33 minutes ago, Sstern said:

I, too, watched several times and saw nothing against a joint.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t injured.

I posted a screenshot of it in a couple of threads. The lower limb itself was in fact moved outward before RBY moved up the leg to the cradle. That fact notwithstanding, even by just moving the foot out, lower leg or not, to can damage the knee. That is the whole point of several leg locks in jiujitsu such as a heel hook. 

You can think RBY is a good guy, think ADS faked the pain during the second cradle a bit, and still acknowledge that ADS was hurt (or at a bare minimum was put in a position to get hurt), right before the first cradle. None of those are mutually exclusive. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I find interesting all this talk about pressure against, or torking of joints.  The funny thing is, I believe 90% of all wrestling moves are dependent upon some degree of torking or pressure against an opponents joints to some degree.

No idea if Desanto was injured or not and won't dispute what ju jitsu guys are saying.

But the first cradle gets stopped due to injury, then DeSanto is ok to wrestle and wrestles full power for another 1:37 showing no signs of injury (except when he limped backed to center after OOB), then miraculously the excruciating pain comes back right when he gets caught in a slick legal cradle.

Maybe he was injured, maybe he wasn't, but it sure looked like he bailed out of getting pinned, twice in front 16,000 Hawkeye fans that love him dearly.

All that said, still hope Austin is ok and want to see him back in the lineup asap and would love to see him wrestle RBY at B10s and NCAAs.

5 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Maybe he was injured, maybe he wasn't, but it sure looked like he bailed out of getting pinned, twice in front 16,000 Hawkeye fans that love him dearly.

As I said, both things can be true at once. He could’ve been injured, decided to continue, then bailed when he was about to get stuck. Not saying that happened but to argue there was no undue torque on the knee given the photographic and video evidence to the contrary is worse than ignorant (not saying you are so, in general). Again, no idea if illegal or not; I’ll let the refs make that determination. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I think it’s possible he aggravated it the second time. In the YouTube video at 5:25 you can see his knee buckle a bit (helps if you slow it down, man RBY is quick) which is actually right before he locks it up.  Probably would have been nothing if he didn’t already hurt it, but he had.

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

.... read the post again and then read the follow up one I made after someone said the same as you just did.

I disagree totally, people know Desanto, and after the season at Drexel, all eyes have been on him.  

I’ve been watching Austin for almost 10 years now and he’s gone from an absolute favorite of mine, to a guy I love to watch, but also don’t usually cheer for.  

He does not and will not get the benefit of the doubt moving forward.  I wish him well, but I hope RBY actually gets to show him the lights next time.

I do believe Desanto was “hurt” in some way, but I don’t believe he is “injured.”

133 might be the most exciting weight class this year.  Big tens and ncaa’s will be phenomenal if everyone is healthy.

30 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I disagree totally, people know Desanto, and after the season at Drexel, all eyes have been on him.  

I’ve been watching Austin for almost 10 years now and he’s gone from an absolute favorite of mine, to a guy I love to watch, but also don’t usually cheer for.  

He does not and will not get the benefit of the doubt moving forward.  I wish him well, but I hope RBY actually gets to show him the lights next time.

I do believe Desanto was “hurt” in some way, but I don’t believe he is “injured.”

133 might be the most exciting weight class this year.  Big tens and ncaa’s will be phenomenal if everyone is healthy.

So you read it and ignored it. Gotchya.

12 minutes ago, russelscout said:

So you read it and ignored it. Gotchya.

No I answered it saying since his days at Drexel people are watching him from his actions.  If he was at Drexel still, he’d be watched avidly, and judged appropriately.