MSU158

Was DeSanto injured?

4 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

No I answered it saying since his days at Drexel people are watching him from his actions.  If he was at Drexel still, he’d be watched avidly, and judged appropriately.

Not really because no one watches Drexel matches.   Same reason no one really cared about him trying to injure Tucker until after the Micic incident.

One could maybe argue he’d still be being watched if he went to OSU or one of the other top 5 or so Big 10 schools, but outside of that I doubt it. 

But the first cradle gets stopped due to injury, then DeSanto is ok to wrestle and wrestles full power for another 1:37 showing no signs of injury (except when he limped backed to center after OOB), then miraculously the excruciating pain comes back right when he gets caught in a slick legal cradle.

I disagree that DeSanto was wrestling at “full power” with “no signs of injury”. He gave up a completely uncontested takedown.

Again, DeSanto could have handled it better and, maybe, could have continued, but he was hurt/injured in the first 12 seconds and that would have been a major factor in the match had it continued. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think DeSanto’s reaction to the second cradle was due to panic because he was frustrated and panicked after hurting/injuring his knee and couldn’t defend himself like he usually would. Had that match continued, he very well may have been pinned, but he was definitely not at full power and was impaired by the knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

No I answered it saying since his days at Drexel people are watching him from his actions.  If he was at Drexel still, he’d be watched avidly, and judged appropriately.

You answered with a discussion about his antics at Drexel, which in both posts I talked about the last two years. Fact is, you really have nothing to be outraged about without going back that far. 

12 minutes ago, Doc_Hfuhruhurr said:

Scrambling for control-contorting under, over, around, through,  has progressed tremendously over the past decade. Wrestling for a takedown is different than it used to be.  I am surprised there aren’t more injuries.

Now I’m really going off topic but I do think injury rates have gone up. However, they’ve been offset by a reduction of injuries due to much more reasonable weigh-in rules and weight loss practices. 

I don't know if the move was legal or illegal, or whether it was intentional or not, but these issues are beside the point when trying to figure out if he was injured. If you look at the image below, you can see DeSanto's knee is pinned to the mat, the back of his leg is immobile (RBY has the leg secure), and the bottom front of DeSanto's foot being torqued slightly (albeit very slightly) by RBY (there are better images of the hand on the foot). I can see this tweaking the knee, at least enough to cause pain and a yelp, if not an injury

As far as the second cradle, when I watched it in real-time, I thought DeSanto was being a weasel - knowing he was about to get turned - and looking for the ref to intervene. I still kind of think that.

5646-C32-E-C9-E1-4201-AACB-A6167-BAE5-E98

With no allegiance to PSU or Iowa, and sadly knowing I’m adding fuel to the fire... but watching Desanto growing up, he had a bad habit of getting “injured” when going to his back. He may have grown out of it, but he has a history of changing direction when things aren’t going the way he planned. Very unpredictable.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Did he weigh-in this morning? I’m thinking that either way there’s no way Brands lets ADS take the mat today... right? Iowa really doesn’t need his points against MSU anyway.

I think Brands already said he wasn't traveling with the team to East Lansing. I couldn't tell if this was injury related or a quasi-suspension for giving up when Brands thought he could continue (which I am not saying to stir ****, I just couldn't tell from context).

Edited by ugarte

Based on the character of Austin DeSanto, over the years of watching him, it is probably a safe bet to assume the biggest injury was to his psyche.  He may have tweaked his knee on the first cradle, but tapping out of 2 pinning combinations is a revelation of someone's character.   Battle out of the cradle, or get pinned and deal with the injury later.  Unfortunately for him, a national audience was once again able to see his character on display.   Social Media is overwhelmingly of the opinion that he tapped to avoid getting decked.  Take your medicine and come back stronger.  Spencer Lee did it.  David Taylor did it.  Austin DeSanto decided to quit.  

Here is a video clip of RBY getting to the first cradle.  RBY turns the foot outward and pulls hard.  This puts lateral pressure on Desanto's knee and causes the injury.

P7l2x6.gif

Here is a video clip of RBY's second cradle.  Notice that Desanto is crying out as RBY gets Desanto's right foot on top of RBY's right thigh.  The foot position put lateral pressure on Desanto's leg and Desanto was in pain due to the prior injury.  I agree with coach Brands that Desanto's confidence and focus was impacted by the injury.  If this match had continued, RBY had the cradle locked tight and would have won by pinfall.  Without the initial injury, IMO RBY wins by decision and not by pinfall.  

p8KO3y.gif

Here is a video clip of the heavyweight match.  Notice Desanto in the background favors his right leg.  

5Qxq5X.gif

Knee injuries impact mobility in different ways.  When my knee was injured, I could walk, jump, and shoot fine.  Only certain lateral moves on my injured knee would cause a shocking pain.

3 minutes ago, jross said:

Here is a video clip of RBY getting to the first cradle.  RBY turns the foot outward and pulls hard.  This puts lateral pressure on Desanto's knee and causes the injury.

P7l2x6.gif

Here is a video clip of RBY's second cradle.  Notice that Desanto is crying out as RBY gets Desanto's right foot on top of RBY's right thigh.  The foot position put lateral pressure on Desanto's leg and Desanto was in pain due to the prior injury.  I agree with coach Brands that Desanto's confidence and focus was impacted by the injury.  If this match had continued, RBY had the cradle locked tight and would have won by pinfall.  Without the initial injury, IMO RBY wins by decision and not by pinfall.  

p8KO3y.gif

Here is a video clip of the heavyweight match.  Notice Desanto in the background favors his right leg.  

5Qxq5X.gif

Knee injuries impact mobility in different ways.  When my knee was injured, I could walk, jump, and shoot fine.  Only certain lateral moves on my injured knee would cause a shocking pain.

No ice or supportive wrap on the knee?

15 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I dont think the foot thing looks bad at all in the replay, he is just trying to get the toes off the mat to lock up the cradle, sure it might've hurt a little but I'd say why stop it.

PS from a Gibby viewpoint ADS had his laces down & RBY brought his hips to the party, its what everyone should do - JG.

13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I assume his injury is not the type that required a supportive wrap to walk and the lack of ice may indicate severity and preference.  Maybe it was a mild grade 1 sprain -- enough to scare him but not a grade 2 or 3.

Just now, ionel said:

I dont think the foot thing looks bad at all in the replay, he is just trying to get the toes off the mat to lock up the cradle, sure it might've hurt a little but I'd say why stop it.

PS from a Gibby viewpoint ADS had his laces down & RBY brought his hips to the party, its what everyone should do - JG.

It was happening too fast to stop the foot pull anyway.  Hopefully the kid is ok, but not much the ref could have done at the time.

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

It looks innocuous but it isn't.  I got myself into the base position, with weight on my toes, turned my foot out, and felt pain as soon as I move my leg outward.  

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

Bravo...

Just now, jross said:

It looks innocuous but it isn't.  I got myself into the base position, with weight on my toes, turned my foot out, and felt pain as soon as I move my leg outward.  

Purpose of the technique's set up.  Not necessarily to injure, but to cause enough discomfort to get the offensive man to step up into a cradle.  

28 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Scum.

We have more people on this board defending an Iranian doper than giving a hurt college kid the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by AHamilton

6 minutes ago, jross said:

I assume his injury is not the type that required a supportive wrap to walk and the lack of ice may indicate severity and preference.  Maybe it was a mild grade 1 sprain -- enough to scare him but not a grade 2 or 3.

If an MCL or LCL issue you are going to ice it, there's no downside to ice, it's gonna prevent swelling.  But maybe the did it later.