MSU158

Was DeSanto injured?

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

Purpose of the technique's set up.  Not necessarily to injure, but to cause enough discomfort to get the offensive man to step up into a cradle.  

But should we allow discomfort in wrestling, I mean that just doesn't sound nice or fun. ;_;

Edited by ionel

It could be preference.  Gabe Mirkin, MD—the physician who coined the term RICE—has since said he was wrong. “Coaches have used my “RICE” guideline for decades, but now it appears that both Ice and complete Rest may delay healing, instead of helping.” – Gabe Mirkin, MD |  https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html.  That and having a bag of ice on your skin for 20 minutes is uncomfortable.

9 minutes ago, jross said:

It could be preference.  Gabe Mirkin, MD—the physician who coined the term RICE—has since said he was wrong. “Coaches have used my “RICE” guideline for decades, but now it appears that both Ice and complete Rest may delay healing, instead of helping.” – Gabe Mirkin, MD |  https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-ice-delays-recovery.html.  That and having a bag of ice on your skin for 20 minutes is uncomfortable.

Many thanks for posting this. Wow. That is a substantial retraction if I ever saw one, and his new recommendation just makes intuitive sense to me. Kudos to the doctor for doing the right thing and admitting he was wrong. Many would not do the same. 

38 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Scum.

We have more people on this board defending an Iranian doper than giving a hurt college kid the benefit of the doubt.

Bunch of folk claiming RBY attempted to injure too. While you are condemning you might want to start there, or at least go there.

19 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Bunch of folk claiming RBY attempted to injure too. While you are condemning you might want to start there, or at least go there.

I have said that I do not think that was his intent, in at least one or two posts.  

I also want to applaud you for your legit classy post during the match, where you said you do not like to see injuries. I wasn't able to give you a "like" at the time, but I will now.

That being said, we have vultures coming on here relishing in whatever happened to the kid.  that is abhorrent.

No matter what the final outcome is, the kid certainly thought he was hurt.  Hopefully it is minor, but if you feel something pop for the first time in your life, you may not react in the way that internet tough guys want you to act.

Just now, AHamilton said:

You taking joy in the injury of a college athlete.  That is scummy. 

Scum.

What in the world are you talking about?  Why would you say I am taking joy in an injury?  When have I ever remotely said anything to that effect?  You are out of control!

1 hour ago, ionel said:

But should we all discomfort in wrestling, I mean that just doesn't sound nice or fun. ;_;

I think I can use context to judge the meaning of your post.

We should not get rid of all discomfort in wrestling.  That set-up causes discomfort to ligaments, it is also applied quickly.  I don't think RBY wanted to tear/sprain ligaments.  We cannot get rid of all discomfort.  I do not know what the answer is to that situation.

7 minutes ago, jchapman said:

What in the world are you talking about?  Why would you say I am taking joy in an injury?  When have I ever remotely said anything to that effect?  You are out of control!

" No ice or supportive wrap"

Calling injury into question? Yes or no?

6 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

" No ice or supportive wrap"

Calling injury into question? Yes or no?

That was in response to the pic of DeSanto on the bench during the 285 match.  People were discussing the severity of the knee injury.  Someone said he was favoring the leg.  I responded with the no ice or wrap to voice my opinion that it probably wasn’t a severe injury.  At no time did I take pleasure in a student athlete getting injured.  You are projecting that on me.  Tom Brands thought he could get back into the match.  Is he scum too?

Edited by jchapman

1 hour ago, jross said:

Alright for fun and now probably opening a can of worms, but here is just one:

https://www.cramersportsmed.com/first-aider/to-ice-or-not-to-ice-that-is-the-question.html

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

That was in response to the pic of DeSanto on the bench during the 285 match.  People were discussing the severity of the knee injury.  Someone said he was favoring the leg.  I responded with the no ice or wrap to voice my opinion that it probably wasn’t a severe injury.  At no time did I take pleasure in a student athlete getting injured.  You are projecting that on me.  Tom Brands thought he could get back into the match.  Is he scum too?

He knows the situation better than you.  And the student-athlete.