Perry

Most tap outs in NCAA history

Does this award belong to desanto now? I have seen him tap out 3 times in total over the last two seasons. Just curious if this is a record at the collegiate level.

Edit before any comments to say this post is made in jest and I do hope that ads is not hurt in any way

Edited by Perry

1 minute ago, Katie said:

Maybe tapouts should be allowed. If a wrestler thinks he’s about to be injured, why not give him the option to tap? Safety first seems like a good policy. 

There is a sport for that.  You are basically calling for submissions.

11 minutes ago, Katie said:

Maybe tapouts should be allowed. If a wrestler thinks he’s about to be injured, why not give him the option to tap? Safety first seems like a good policy. 

I am all in favor of a tapout if a wrestler thinks they are going to be injured. The referee should immediately stop the match and call for a trainer to checkout the tapper to assess the injury and make sure they are stable.

And then declare injury default and award the match to the other wrestler. Period.

17 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

There is a sport for that.  You are basically calling for submissions.

Not at all. I just think it might be worth considering tapouts as an extra safety measure. 

I’m a PSU fan. But I often use the old adage “if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying”. ADS was mentally whipped (and likely dinged up) and tapped out to save face on a day when his opponent clearly had his number. 

7 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

What other matches did he tap out of?

I feel like a tapout should be analogous to screaming out in pain and result in injury time rather than injury default.

I think he had used up all his injury time on the first timeout.

21 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I feel like a tapout should be analogous to screaming out in pain and result in injury time rather than injury default.

Curious about this as well.  Looks like his only other actual injury default was against Mueller his freshman year.

59 minutes ago, Katie said:

American Folkstyle wrestling actually allowed submission holds for a while in the 1920's and 30's. 

The double-wristlock and Japanese keylock were two go-to moves back then. 

DeSanto didnt come out to wrestle against Michigan State. Paul Glynn (Iowa) vs Garret Pepple (MS) going on now. Garret up 2-0 going into the 3rd.

Marinelli is out today as well with stitches above the eye.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

29 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

American Folkstyle wrestling actually allowed submission holds for a while in the 1920's and 30's. 

The double-wristlock and Japanese keylock were two go-to moves back then. 

I’m certainly not advocating for rule changes that would allow submission holds. 

I’m simply saying it might be a good safety precaution to allow any wrestler to tap out of a match at any time. 

Edited by Katie

2 hours ago, Katie said:

I’m certainly not advocating for rule changes that would allow submission holds. 

I’m simply saying it might be a good safety precaution to allow any wrestler to tap out of a match at any time. 

I think a wrestler can already do this.

I have seen a few situations in which a wrestler indicated to his coach that he wanted to stop wrestling, and the coach told the ref to stop it.

I've also see a few times where a kid was completely outmatched and a coach stopped the match for the sake of safety, etc. 

I'd guess that from a "legal" perspective, if a kid ever told a ref that he wanted to stop the match, the ref would do it. 

I don't think we should make tap-outs a "new" part of the sport. A major benefit of wrestling (for young kids especially) is to learn how to take a legal ass-whipping on the mat and control their emotions and build resilience afterward. 

57 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

I think a wrestler can already do this.

I have seen a few situations in which a wrestler indicated to his coach that he wanted to stop wrestling, and the coach told the ref to stop it.

I've also see a few times where a kid was completely outmatched and a coach stopped the match for the sake of safety, etc. 

I'd guess that from a "legal" perspective, if a kid ever told a ref that he wanted to stop the match, the ref would do it. 

I don't think we should make tap-outs a "new" part of the sport. A major benefit of wrestling (for young kids especially) is to learn how to take a legal ass-whipping on the mat and control their emotions and build resilience afterward. 

I doubt a tap out rule would change the sport. It already functionally happens, as you acknowledge. 

5 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Are you for that even if they are on their back, about to get pinned?

1 hour ago, Katie said:

I doubt a tap out rule would change the sport. It already functionally happens, as you acknowledge. 

Sure, tap, scream, do whatever, just let the ref know. They'll stop the match.  

6 hours ago, Perry said:

He tapped against fix in last year's dual when he had the double boot (stall) ride in with essentially a rear naked choke for about .5 seconds before he let it go

FB_IMG_1551057863273.jpg

Rewatched this match, I don't see a tap. You also haven't supported your claim of "at least 3" tap outs in the last 2 seasons, so far only listing one legitimate instance (Friday night's).