Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

Did Nebraska lose 2 team points?

Stupid.  Don't know if the rules are stupid or the coaches not having control but that crap cannot happen. NU has had a lot of close matches and a 2 point swing can lose a dual easily.  

13 minutes ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I think so. Both for celebration.  Why does wrestling hate itself so much?

You cant have too much fun. I love when I go to the state tourney and a kid wins and celebrates. The collective attitude of anyone over fifty is "act like youve been there before", although the kid most likely hasnt been. Its part of the culture, and it says that winners, losers, everyone needs to be stoic at all times and emotions are a bad thing. Over the years that kind of thinking has infiltrated the rule book. 

Edited by russelscout

5 minutes ago, russelscout said:

You cant have too much fun. I love when I go to the state tourney and a kid wins and celebrates. The collective attitude of anyone over fifty is "act like youve been there before", although the kid most likely hasnt been. Its part of the culture, and it says that all winners, losers, everyone needs to be stoic at all times and emotions are a bad thing. Over the years that kind of thinking has infiltrated the rule book. 

but but but we can still complain about wrestling not being popular, right??

If they are going to enforce these rules, the first should be a warning and the second should be an ejection (i.e. coach has to watch the rest of the dual from the locker room). Taking points away from the team isn't the answer.

25 minutes ago, Dondante88 said:

If they are going to enforce these rules, the first should be a warning and the second should be an ejection (i.e. coach has to watch the rest of the dual from the locker room). Taking points away from the team isn't the answer.

Wrestling has always been punish all for the fault of one.  How many extra sprints and burpees, etc. did we all have to do for the fault of one?

They lost 1 point for Labriola spiking his headgear after winning.  Then they lost another because Chad Red ran out and chest bumped Isaiah White after his win.  FWIW Iowa also lost a team point on Friday night.  You see it a lot for bench celebrating, which I am kind of torn about...I love that Nebraska and Iowa have guys standing matside and cheering on their "brothers".  If I were a blue chip recruit, that would be the type of team I would want to wrestle for!

1 minute ago, Konquest said:

They lost 1 point for Labriola spiking his headgear after winning.  Then they lost another because Chad Red ran out and chest bumped Isaiah White after his win.  FWIW Iowa also lost a team point on Friday night.  You see it a lot for bench celebrating, which I am kind of torn about...I love that Nebraska and Iowa have guys standing matside and cheering on their "brothers".  If I were a blue chip recruit, that would be the type of team I would want to wrestle for!

I hear what you are saying, but if they stayed matside they wouldn’t get the point taken away.

16 hours ago, russelscout said:

You cant have too much fun. I love when I go to the state tourney and a kid wins and celebrates. The collective attitude of anyone over fifty is "act like youve been there before", although the kid most likely hasnt been. Its part of the culture, and it says that winners, losers, everyone needs to be stoic at all times and emotions are a bad thing. Over the years that kind of thinking has infiltrated the rule book. 

At the PA state tournament, the average age of a PIAA person (official or worker) is probably 60+.

53 minutes ago, Witherman said:

imagine if the refs had the ability to take away a point in the superbowl last night?

there are plenty of examples of college and high school teams having game winning touchdowns reversed because of celebration penalties. it sucks every time.

On 2/3/2020 at 4:40 AM, Boompa said:

At the PA state tournament, the average age of a PIAA person (official or worker) is probably 60+.

Be careful.  Every single one of those workers and officials taught Bobby Weaver everything he knows.