Sign in to follow this  
Show_Me

6 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Boo beat Lee

Yeah, I know. But I’m giving Brayton the nod because it was back in November and Brayton has much better wins than Boo. Brayton has beaten Sasso this year, who’s the logical #1 at this point. He’s also beaten Thomsen, Pohlmeyer, and Zacherl. Other than Brayton, Boo’s only other notable win is Alirez. Boo doesn’t have enough notable wins to justify top 5 over all the other guys there that do. Just my opinion though. I can see the other side of that head to head argument.

Edit: just remembered Boo also beat Thomsen. I would by cool with switching Boo and Brayton on my list.

Edited by goheels1812

Actually after scouring wrestle stat for results and not just going off the top of my head, my list would be:

1. Sasso

2. Lugo

3. O’Conner 

4. Mauller

5. Boo

6. Brayton

149 is such a volatile weight this year though. Everyone on here could make a different list and make a solid argument for it. This is probably my favorite weight heading into the NCAA tournament.

18 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Actually after scouring wrestle stat for results and not just going off the top of my head, my list would be:

1. Sasso

2. Lugo

3. O’Conner 

4. Mauller

5. Boo

6. Brayton

149 is such a volatile weight this year though. Everyone on here could make a different list and make a solid argument for it. This is probably my favorite weight heading into the NCAA tournament.

That is also how I would rank it.

Boo dropping from #1 to #5 after losing in sv to a Top 5 wrestler seems overly punative but it is the best ranking.

Edited by Show_Me

We all know about the the Jensen loss.  That is what makes this weight class so interesting as nobody is undefeated.

Curious to see NCAA Seeds if O’Connor, Mauller, & Boo “run the table” as the other 3 will be facing each other in the Big 10 Tourney.

Edited by Show_Me

10 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

To me knocking Mauller for losing to Jansen would be similar to saying “well Sasso can’t be ranked 1st (even with all his notable wins) because he got pinned by Brent Moore.” The full body of work needs to be considered more than 1 questionable loss. 

Two things: Moore is done for the season isn't he? Mauller may avenge his Jensen loss . As will Boo his Mauller loss.

Edited by nhs67
Three things...

Remaining "Regular Season Schedules for the Top 6 Wrestlers being discussed in this thread:

1. Sasso (20-2).  Split with Lee & Moore.  Remaining matches with IM #16 Y. Thomas & Verkleeren.  Should run the table.

2. Lugo (14-1).  Lost to Sasso.  Remaining matches with IM #9 Storr, Lee, & Lewallen.  The most difficult stretch run by far.

3. O'Connor (17-1).  Lost to Lugo.  Remaining matches with Leitten, Kemerer, Richard, Spencer, & Maruca.  Should easily run the table.

4. Mauller (19-1).  Lost to Jensen.  Remaining matches with Maruca, IM #20 Williams, & IM #7 Degen (split 2-2 last year).  Reasonable chance to run the table.

5. Lewallen (12-1).  Lost to Mauller.  Remaining matches with Martinez, Jensen, Butler, & Lugo.  The Lugo match is HUGE.

6. Lee (16-3). Split with Sasso. Lost to Lewallen & Hoffman (ID). Remaining matches with Verkleeren, Lugo, & IM #14 Purinton. Will likely NOT run the table.

Edited by Show_Me

1 minute ago, Show_Me said:

Remaining Regular Season Schedules for the Top 6 Wrestlers being discussed in this thread:

1. Sasso (20-2).  Split with Lee & lost to B. Moore.  Remaining matches with IM #16 Y. Thomas & Verkleeren.  Should run the table.

2. Lugo (14-1).  Lost to Sasso.  Remaining matches with IM #9 Storr, Lee, & Lewallen.  The most difficult stretch run by far.

3. O'Connor (17-1).  Lost to Lugo.  Remaining matches with Leitten, Kemerer, Richard, Spencer, & Maruca.  Should easily run the table.

4. Mauller (19-1).  Lost to Jensen.  Remaining matches with Maruca, IM #20 Williams, & IM #7 Degen (split 2-2 last year).  Reasonable chance to run the table.

5. Lewallen (12-1).  Lost to Mauller.  Remaining matches with Martinez, Jensen, Butler, & Lugo.  The Lugo match is HUGE.

6. Lee (16-3).  Split with Sasso, lost to Lewallen. & lost by ID to Hoffman. Remaining matches with Verkleeren, Lugo, & IM #14 Purinton.  Will likely NOT run the table.

After looking at this list I'm not sure I know how I would rank the guys, but I do think it is odd how many believe Sasso should be number 1.  The next 4 guys all have half as many losses as Sasso and 3 of them only lost to another guy with 1 loss.  Sasso has a loss against Moore.  I think I might still have Sasso 5th, right ahead of Lee.  Definitely a tough weight to rank currently.  

8 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

Remaining "Regular Season Schedules for the Top 6 Wrestlers being discussed in this thread:

1. Sasso (20-2).  Split with Lee & lost to B. Moore.  Remaining matches with IM #16 Y. Thomas & Verkleeren.  Should run the table.

6. Lee (16-3). Split with Sasso. Lost to Lewallen & Hoffman (ID). Remaining matches with Verkleeren, Lugo, & IM #14 Purinton. Will likely NOT run the table.

Doubt we see Lugo/Lewallen. Iowa is a lot better than OSU this year and will easily win the dual, so a perfect "duck" opportunity! Why take a chance of wrestling Lugo's seed over Boo if you don't have to? We'll see a couple scrubs wrestling at 149, mark it down! 

30 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Doubt we see Lugo/Lewallen. Iowa is a lot better than OSU this year and will easily win the dual, so a perfect "duck" opportunity! Why take a chance of wrestling Lugo's seed over Boo if you don't have to? We'll see a couple scrubs wrestling at 149, mark it down! 

You really think Lugo is going to duck Boo in CHA?

1 hour ago, Show_Me said:

I agree with this. Sasso has avenged both of his losses.  Yes, they did happen, but he is the only one with no un-avenged losses.  Taking that to note, then you have Lugo then O'Connor.  Mauller's bad loss to Jensen hurts him, however recency puts him above Lewallen and his dominating win puts him above Lee.

This is how I believe seeding would play out as well.  Although I don't know if Lee would be the 6.  That would require more digging, and off the top of my head, I do believe Clarke may have a good argument for the 6 seed.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

After looking at this list I'm not sure I know how I would rank the guys, but I do think it is odd how many believe Sasso should be number 1.  The next 4 guys all have half as many losses as Sasso and 3 of them only lost to another guy with 1 loss.  Sasso has a loss against Moore.  I think I might still have Sasso 5th, right ahead of Lee.  Definitely a tough weight to rank currently.  

It's a fair question.  At this point the order is simply a matter of timing.  Sasso hasn't lost since 12/6, and as @nhs67 said, he did avenge both losses.  

1) Sasso

2) Lugo 

3) Oconnor is 100% set.

The only argument is 4-6 but probably 4) Brock 5) Boo 6) Brayton. 

With that being said, Oconnor is my pick to win it all. However I do think the top 2 seeds will have a big advantage only having to beat two of those top 6 guys vs the 3-6 seeds who will likely have to win 3 matches vs those other guys in the top 6.

Edited by jsmalls131313

O’Conner was only 2 weeks back from a broken arm at the midlands tournament and that was the first time he saw any high level competition this season. I think having to grind against 3 straight Iowa workhorses was a really tough draw for him. 

But that being said I’m glad he did. It reminds me of last year a little. Finesilver of Duke beat O’Conner a couple times during the season and then O’Conner went 2-0 against him to finish 3rd at the NCAA tournament. 

I fully acknowledge my bias here, but my NCAA final prediction is Sasso vs. (a peaking) O’Conner and I think it’s a straight up 50/50 match. I feel like if they wrestled 10 times each guy could take 5.