Sign in to follow this  
Show_Me

On 2/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, goheels1812 said:

Yeah, I know. But I’m giving Brayton the nod because it was back in November and Brayton has much better wins than Boo. Brayton has beaten Sasso this year, who’s the logical #1 at this point. He’s also beaten Thomsen, Pohlmeyer, and Zacherl. Other than Brayton, Boo’s only other notable win is Alirez. Boo doesn’t have enough notable wins to justify top 5 over all the other guys there that do. Just my opinion though. I can see the other side of that head to head argument.

Edit: just remembered Boo also beat Thomsen. I would by cool with switching Boo and Brayton on my list.

Boo's also beaten Pohlmeyer now. He can only wrestle who is in front of him, and certainly deserved the #1 ranking until this past weekend. 

As to how it should be ranked, giving Brayton the nod is ridiculous. Go watch that bout and you will see that it really wasn't close between the two. The guys up here in this weight class are all very talented... you can't punish the ones that aren't in the Big 10 just because their schedule isn't tough. It's not OSU's fault that programs aside from Iowa aren't keen on coming to Stillwater. Rutgers is a good example. OSU helped them get their first sellout in the RAC last season, and then burned us by cancelling the return trip. Chicken sh*t. 

55 minutes ago, Lee C said:

Boo's also beaten Pohlmeyer now. He can only wrestle who is in front of him, and certainly deserved the #1 ranking until this past weekend. 

As to how it should be ranked, giving Brayton the nod is ridiculous. Go watch that bout and you will see that it really wasn't close between the two. The guys up here in this weight class are all very talented... you can't punish the ones that aren't in the Big 10 just because their schedule isn't tough. It's not OSU's fault that programs aside from Iowa aren't keen on coming to Stillwater. Rutgers is a good example. OSU helped them get their first sellout in the RAC last season, and then burned us by cancelling the return trip. Chicken sh*t. 

Yeah I forgot about a couple of Boos matches and then updated my rankings below my initial post after I went through the results on wrestle stat. 

On 2/2/2020 at 8:44 PM, Housebuye said:

It’s interesting. It’s one of those cases where a loss to a no name is better than a loss to a ranked guy. 

it’s easy for us write off the unranked loss as a fluke. If Mauller has lost to Thompson, he’d be ranked lower. 

Not that it was a fluke necessarily, but he's the only of the 5 being mentioned here that hasn't lost to one of the others.  I honestly could see an argument for him being #1 since he also just beat the most recent #1.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, goheels1812 said:

Yeah, I know. But I’m giving Brayton the nod because it was back in November and Brayton has much better wins than Boo. Brayton has beaten Sasso this year, who’s the logical #1 at this point. He’s also beaten Thomsen, Pohlmeyer, and Zacherl. Other than Brayton, Boo’s only other notable win is Alirez. Boo doesn’t have enough notable wins to justify top 5 over all the other guys there that do. Just my opinion though. I can see the other side of that head to head argument.

Edit: just remembered Boo also beat Thomsen. I would by cool with switching Boo and Brayton on my list.

he has also beaten Pohlmeyer

With news of Kolodzik’s shirt being pulled where does he get Ranked & more importantly, what kind of NCAA Seed can he attain this late in the season ?

- He is currently 8-0.  

- He has no wins over Intermat Top 20 wrestlers, his best win being a major over Hoffman of Lehigh.

- His remaining Schedule does not offer any matches against ranked wrestlers.  

- EIWA Tournament will only have one Ranked wrestlers (Clarke - American).

He will likely go into NCAA's undefeated but will have no credentials for a "Top 6" Seed.

Edited by Show_Me

9 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

With news of Kolodzik’s shirt being pulled where does he get Ranked & more importantly, what kind of NCAA Seed can he attain this late in the season ?

- He is currently 8-0.  

- He has no wins over Intermat Top 20 wrestlers, his best win being a major over Hoffman of Lehigh.

He will likely go into NCAA undefeated but no credentials for a Seed.

Everyone has credentials for a seed, since they seed everyone.  He will get a good coaches rating, which will help his seed.

8 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

- He is currently 8-0.  

He will likely go into NCAA undefeated but no credentials for a Seed.

Well in 2016 and 2017 Snyder had similar seasons ,assuming kolodzik goes undefeated , and it didn’t hurt him and he was seeded ahead of guys that were wrestling all year, so if he’s undefeated I would think he’s a top 3 seed 

That being said he could be anywhere in the 5-16 range depending on the coaches seeding(and of course providing he wins out).  He will also have Clarke to contend with at conferences, which will help his case.  Clarke is likely top 8 right now(for seeding purposes).  Hoffman top 16.  So it's not like he has bottom feeders the entire way from here.

Also, spitballing here, but has it been confirmed he is locked in for 149lbs for the Tigers?  If he is looking to make a run at OTT 141 may be his best bet(he has competed at 65 keggers-143lbs so...).

2 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Kolodzik will most likely end up being seeded 7-8. Gotta feel for the 1 or 2 seed that gets screwed and has to fave him in the quarters. 

Agree.

IF he goes undefeated & beats Clarke at EIWA, I think a #7 Seed is the best he could hope for considering the Seeding Criteria.  This also assumes that the Top 6 don't take a "bad loss".

20 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Well in 2016 and 2017 Snyder had similar seasons ,assuming kolodzik goes undefeated , and it didn’t hurt him and he was seeded ahead of guys that were wrestling all year, so if he’s undefeated I would think he’s a top 3 seed 

No way.  Even in rankings I don’t see him really having any argument over O’Connor (3rd last year vs Kolodzik 5th).  And at this point O’Connor is 3rd at best.  In seeding Kolodzik is probably even lower.  I’m thinking around 7th if he beats Clarke.

Edited by 1032004

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

No way.  Even in rankings I don’t see him really having any argument over O’Connor (3rd last year vs Kolodzik 5th).  And at this point O’Connor is 3rd at best.  In seeding Kolodzik is probably even lower.  I’m thinking around 7th if he beats Clarke.

If he wins out I see 5th as his peak.  Undefeated and Lee has lost a few, so I think that would give him the nod.  That being said: 149 is now fun.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lugo lose to Storr tonight.  Two stingy styles and Storr with the length on him.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

If he wins out I see 5th as his peak.  Undefeated and Lee has lost a few, so I think that would give him the nod.  That being said: 149 is now fun.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lugo lose to Storr tonight.  Two stingy styles and Storr with the length on him.

Well sure, it’s easy (relatively speaking of course) to be undefeated when you’ve only wrestled 2 weak opens before February, and aren’t in the Big 10.

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I think you are greatly underestimating him going undefeated, Lee has multiple loses as does sasso and Lugo has 1 and more likely then not will end up with 2 or 3 going into NCAA, O Conner missed a big part of the season and his best win is an overtime win against Clark from American and has a loss. 

i mean shakur Rasheed Let everyone else beat each other up and got the 2 seed last year, no way I seem them seeding an undefeated Kolodzik below guys with 2-3 loses.

4 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think you are greatly underestimating him going undefeated, Lee has multiple loses as does sasso and Lugo has 1 and more likely then not will end up with 2 or 3 going into NCAA, O Conner missed a big part of the season and his best win is an overtime win against Clark from American and has a loss. 

i mean shakur Rasheed Let everyone else beat each other up and got the 2 seed last year, no way I seem them seeding an undefeated Kolodzik below guys with 2-3 loses.

And as bad as Rasheed’s strength of schedule was last year, that is much better than Kolodzik’s will be this year. 

9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I know it won’t count for anything, but beating Glosser and Turk to finish 2nd at Midlands was no small task for O’Conner. Especially considering he was only in his second week back from a broken arm. I’m not sure if Kolodzik will be seeded ahead of O’Conner, but O’Conner is looking at finishing around 25-1 with his only loss being Lugo. And he finished 3rd at the tourney last where where Kolodzik finished 5th. AOC will have a better resume than Kolodzik in my opinion, even with the lone loss to Lugo.

2 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

And as bad as Rasheed’s strength of schedule was last year, that is much better than Kolodzik’s will be this year. 

Yea but not by much and even though it’s not an official seeding metric, they definitely take into account who kolodzik is and his accomplishments, I honestly can not think of an undefeated returning AA being seeded lower then 3 or 4 ever 

I vividly recall watching Sasso destroying opponents during his high school career here in PA thinking to myself, “man it should be a federal crime the way this guy beats up on these kids.” However, for some reason – like many who have 3-4 HS state championships under their belt, he did not perform this way during his entry into college. Like some in this very forum who stated someday he would be a NCAA champ – me included, his lack of offense and what appeared to be gassing in later rounds, most likely led to this assumption. He would do it, but just not this season.

Well based on his most recent wins over HIGHLY ranked wrestlers, Sam may very well win it after all as a freshman in March. I hope he does.

11 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I know it won’t count for anything, but beating Glosser and Turk to finish 2nd at Midlands was no small task for O’Conner. Especially considering he was only in his second week back from a broken arm. I’m not sure if Kolodzik will be seeded ahead of O’Conner, but O’Conner is looking at finishing around 25-1 with his only loss being Lugo. And he finished 3rd at the tourney last where where Kolodzik finished 5th. AOC will have a better resume than Kolodzik in my opinion, even with the lone loss to Lugo.

I agree I think if kolodzik finishes undefeated the only realistic people I can see being seeded ahead of him are O’Conner, or Boo, but both need to run the table to ncaas, I think the big ten guys are just going to pick each off.

that being said if O’Conner is 25-1 with best win O.T. Over Clark and kolodzik is 17-0 and say he majors Clark in the EIWA finals that could make it an very interesting seeding meeting.

probably helps that the EIWA is the biggest conference and kolodzik will most likely wrestle 4 matches and O’Conner will only get 2 at ACC 

Edited by Antitroll2828

On 2/4/2020 at 5:53 PM, 1032004 said:

Not that it was a fluke necessarily, but he's the only of the 5 being mentioned here that hasn't lost to one of the others.  I honestly could see an argument for him being #1 since he also just beat the most recent #1.

But for the Wyoming loss, he would almost certainly be #1.  And Jenson, although not a top 10 guy, is still pretty good.

Also, how has O'Conner wrestled 19 matches since mid-December?

5 minutes ago, whaletail said:

But for the Wyoming loss, he would almost certainly be #1.  And Jenson, although not a top 10 guy, is still pretty good.

Also, how has O'Conner wrestled 19 matches since mid-December?

O’Conner got 5 matches in the Cleveland state open and then 5 more matches at midlands. Then unc has wrestled 2 duals a weekend a few times. 

30 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I vividly recall watching Sasso destroying opponents during his high school career here in PA thinking to myself, “man it should be a federal crime the way this guy beats up on these kids.” However, for some reason – like many who have 3-4 HS state championships under their belt, he did not perform this way during his entry into college. Like some in this very forum who stated someday he would be a NCAA champ – me included, his lack of offense and what appeared to be gassing in later rounds, most likely led to this assumption. He would do it, but just not this season.

Well based on his most recent wins over HIGHLY ranked wrestlers, Sam may very well win it after all as a freshman in March. I hope he does.

I actually thought Sasso had one of the best redshirt seasons in recent memory last year, with his only loss (last second to the current ASU 157) avenged.

He was my preseason to win 149 this year (although I wasn't very confident in the pick).