Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

T/F: Nick Lee is the best wrestler on the PSU roster?

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Lee is better than RBY.  I fully expect Lee to make the finals at NCAAs, RBY not so much. 

Ultimately the most talented guy on PSU's squad is Hall, boring as he can be to watch. I can't stand watching him, I hate watching those stall type wrestlers, but he's got next level athletic ability that can't be taught. He'll flourish internationally after he graduates and I wouldn't be surprised to see him winning world titles, and I can't see any other current PSU guy doing that. 

I think the opposite. Imo Hall is about tapped out on potential. 

15 hours ago, JerryCallo said:

I would say the best wrestler for PSU now is Vicenzo and I am not sure why he has not gotten more "Hodge Buzz".  I think Lee and Hall are close - if Lee beats Pletcher then i would put him ahead of Hall. 

I think it's because of his relatively low match count. 

I think you need to define “best” here.   I’d say the most simple is who’s having the best season, and maybe even more simple by saying who do you think would finish higher in the Hodge race.   

So that automatically drops Hall to 4.  If pins are a factor, I think that puts RBY at 3 as he does not have any, and his only other top 10 win was a SV one over Alvarez.

Lee has a higher bonus rate than Joseph, but only has 3 falls (2 at the Black Knight Invite), compared to 4 for Joseph in less matches.  But Red was Lee’s only top 10 win (I know Murin/Brands kinda sucked him), whereas Joseph has beaten Shields, White and Marinelli so I think that gives him the edge IMO.

But if Lee beats Pletcher I think I’d bump him up to #1.

11 hours ago, BTC said:

Just curious what makes you say he has next level athletic ability? Its easy to look like that against inferior competition. He certainly didnt show that against Kemerer who was his toughest competition this year. 

So one match that wasn’t his best match holds more weight than three ncaa finals his first three years and two world championships?  When you are “next level”, a lot of your opponents are going to be inferior. Kinda lends to the definition doesn’t it?

Edited by Lurker

14 hours ago, Boompa said:

I just don't see Lee beating Pletcher.  As good as both have been wrestling, Pletcher just looks better.

But Lee is now the most fun to watch PSU wrestler.

Is pletcher better than Mckenna was last year?  Because it certainly looks like this version of Nick Lee is better than last year's version that beat McKenna.

12 hours ago, BTC said:

Just curious what makes you say he has next level athletic ability? Its easy to look like that against inferior competition. He certainly didnt show that against Kemerer who was his toughest competition this year. Which weight will he go internationally? He doesn't have the frame for 86kg. His only choice is to go 74 as far as the olympic weights are concerned. Although he is self admittedly too big for the weight. If he goes 74 I see him being top 3 on the ladder once he develops but I dont see him being a hammer like he is right now. 

If Dake can make 74, Hall should certainly be able to make 74.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Why do you think that?

Because I see Cenzo, Nolf, Bo, Retherford, Taylor, and Ruth come in and become more dynamic and more dominant under Cael. I dont feel we have seen that kind of progression for Hall. Is he that much better now than when he won the title as a freshman? I dont think so and his progress appears to have stagnated on the senior level. He is still an amazing talent, but to me it looks like he has reached his ceiling. 

Edited by russelscout

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

So one match that wasn’t his best match holds more weight than three ncaa finals his first three years and two world championships?  When you are “next level”, a lot of your opponents are going to be inferior. Kinda lends to the definition doesn’t it?

TR said he has next level athletic ability. I took that as in the pure sense of athletic ability. An example of that would be Jordan Burroughs who was an athletic freak and to a lesser extent J'Den Cox and Dake. Hall is a talented wrestler no doubt but I wouldnt say he has next level athletic ability. 

1 minute ago, BTC said:

TR said he has next level athletic ability. I took that as in the pure sense of athletic ability. An example of that would be Jordan Burroughs who was an athletic freak and to a lesser extent J'Den Cox and Dake. Hall is a talented wrestler no doubt but I wouldnt say he has next level athletic ability. 

I see what you mean, but I see wrestling as athletics....therefore one's ability in a particular set of athletics(i.e sport, particularly a sport which utilized a whole pot luck of athletic attributes at the same time) is about as good a gauge as there can be in one's athletic ability.  Just a little difference in perspective I guess, neither wrong nor right.

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

Because I see Cenzo, Nolf, Bo, Retherford, Taylor, and Ruth come in and become more dynamic and more dominant under Cael. I dont feel we have seen that kind of progression for Hall. Is he that much better now than when he won the title as a freshman? I dont think so and his progress appears to have stagnated on the senior level. He is still an amazing talent, but to me it looks like he has reached his ceiling. 

Hall is a stud but not a next level stud. He came into college having been held back what at least two times throughout middle and high school? I also dont see him contributing much at the senior level, top 3 at best.