Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
silvermedal

Isaiah White

Recommended Posts

As a Buckeye fan, all you can do is applaud White for gutting out an obvious injury, hanging tough and finding a way to lead his team to a win.  Smith's decision to take an ill advised shot obviously didn't help.  But Nebraska eked out wins at 133 and 174.  Winning the close ones and then White's heroics....kudos to Nebraska.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for everyone. Does it look like White shoved Smith out for the takedown? Around 2:30 of the video it looks like he extends his arms out shoving Smith out of bounds. If so wouldn't that be a stall against White? If so that could have changed the match with him not having the takedown and a previous stall call. 

https://youtu.be/SKu9RmsnIHE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gobucks06 said:

Question for everyone. Does it look like White shoved Smith out for the takedown? Around 2:30 of the video it looks like he extends his arms out shoving Smith out of bounds. If so wouldn't that be a stall against White? If so that could have changed the match with him not having the takedown and a previous stall call. 

https://youtu.be/SKu9RmsnIHE

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 9:32 AM, silvermedal said:

As a Buckeye fan, all you can do is applaud White for gutting out an obvious injury, hanging tough and finding a way to lead his team to a win.  Smith's decision to take an ill advised shot obviously didn't help.  But Nebraska eked out wins at 133 and 174.  Winning the close ones and then White's heroics....kudos to Nebraska.  

 

 

 

What was the injury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gobucks06 said:

Question for everyone. Does it look like White shoved Smith out for the takedown? Around 2:30 of the video it looks like he extends his arms out shoving Smith out of bounds. If so wouldn't that be a stall against White? If so that could have changed the match with him not having the takedown and a previous stall call. 

https://youtu.be/SKu9RmsnIHE

You're basically asking if scoring a takedown can be considered stalling. The answer is obviously no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

After seeing that match, I said to my wife - "man, that's one tough dude."

Classic case of mind over matter, especially after sustaining an injury like that.

Must have learned his toughness from another man in that room who won a World Championship with a broken foot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 7:23 PM, uncle bernard said:

You're basically asking if scoring a takedown can be considered stalling. The answer is obviously no.

Not exactly how I meant it. I meant it looked like he pushed him out then dove at his ankle. While technically a takedown here I questioned his method of getting it. If others don't see a shove fine no big deal. I was just curious if anyone else saw it the same. I personally feel it's borderline and could see it being called either way. Live I didn't see it, but during the replay I saw it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gobucks06 said:

Not exactly how I meant it. I meant it looked like he pushed him out then dove at his ankle. While technically a takedown here I questioned his method of getting it. If others don't see a shove fine no big deal. I was just curious if anyone else saw it the same. I personally feel it's borderline and could see it being called either way. Live I didn't see it, but during the replay I saw it. 

Yeah, in order for a shove to be called stalling, you have to shove them out of bounds. Seeing as how the shove resulted in a takedown in bounds, there is absolutely zero way you could interpret that as a stall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Yeah, in order for a shove to be called stalling, you have to shove them out of bounds. Seeing as how the shove resulted in a takedown in bounds, there is absolutely zero way you could interpret that as a stall.

White shoved Smith out of bounds while keeping one of his own feet in bounds to secure the takedown. Like I said it's a call I could see going either way. It's kind of a bang bang thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gobucks06 said:

White shoved Smith out of bounds while keeping one of his own feet in bounds to secure the takedown. Like I said it's a call I could see going either way. It's kind of a bang bang thing.

I'm sorry, but how much college wrestling do you watch? Both wrestlers have to go out of bounds for a push out stall call to be considered. This is not debateable. You're asking if a successful set up is stalling. It is in no way "bang bang"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

I'm sorry, but how much college wrestling do you watch? Both wrestlers have to go out of bounds for a push out stall call to be considered. This is not debateable. You're asking if a successful set up is stalling. It is in no way "bang bang"

Honestly I didn't know both had to go out for the stall. I thought just blatently pushing your opponent out could be considered stalling.  My mistake everyone!

Just wanted to add I'm not saying the shove was blatent either.

Edited by gobucks06
Adding clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gobucks06 said:

Honestly I didn't know both had to go out for the stall. I thought just blatently pushing your opponent out could be considered stalling.  My mistake everyone!

Just wanted to add I'm not saying the shove was blatent either.

Unfortunately, even blatant pushouts usually lead to a stall call against the wrestler being pushed out.

I hate the edge stalling rules, especially when obviously non-stalling wrestlers get dinged for what amounts to a technicality.  I'm not sure why refs don't simply call continuing action more often, but they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whaletail said:

Unfortunately, even blatant pushouts usually lead to a stall call against the wrestler being pushed out.

I hate the edge stalling rules, especially when obviously non-stalling wrestlers get dinged for what amounts to a technicality.  I'm not sure why refs don't simply call continuing action more often, but they don't.

Two very good examples of how bad (and inconsistent) officials are with oob stall calls from the iowa/psu dual:

 

149 - lugo goes double under hooks and straight walks verk oob with no attempt to score or do anything but get off the mat. Rewarded with a stall call.

 

157 - pipher chains together two shots in a row on young who makes ZERO attempt to circle back in and both go oob. Action called.

 

This is the problem with the rules as they are being called. Driving an opponent oob with no scoring intent is supposed to be stalling on them not the guy being shoved. Ref did a terrible job both times imo though neither one had any affect on the outcome. NCAA needs to get their refs better trained on this as even die hard fans do not know how they are going to be making these calls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Perry said:

Two very good examples of how bad (and inconsistent) officials are with oob stall calls from the iowa/psu dual:

149 - lugo goes double under hooks and straight walks verk oob with no attempt to score or do anything but get off the mat. Rewarded with a stall call.

157 - pipher chains together two shots in a row on young who makes ZERO attempt to circle back in and both go oob. Action called.

Those two examples are pretty much a Carver Iowa thing not a new rule issue.  IMO the new rules are working very well, most places & most of the time refs do a good job of recognizing action vs backing out vs pushing out. 

The CHA stall call thing was predicted before the PSU/Iowa meet.  Go back & look and then rewatch and count stalls calls on Iowa vs PSU.

Most coaches know what is going to happen there & just need to have their team prepared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't think it might be necessary to start a new thread for this question, so putting it here since Husker related.  My question is regarding heavyweight.  Lance being in the 16-20 range should be allocated a spot for the Big 10 at that weight I would assume.  What if Jensen gets the nod down the stretch instead?  He hasn't wrestled varsity most of the season so would the Big 10 lose an allocated spot?  Also if he were to need a wild card to get in, would he be in bad shape getting one since Lance wrestled much of the season?  If anyone can enlighten me on this a bit it would be much appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Didn't think it might be necessary to start a new thread for this question, so putting it here since Husker related.  My question is regarding heavyweight.  Lance being in the 16-20 range should be allocated a spot for the Big 10 at that weight I would assume.  What if Jensen gets the nod down the stretch instead?  He hasn't wrestled varsity most of the season so would the Big 10 lose an allocated spot?  Also if he were to need a wild card to get in, would he be in bad shape getting one since Lance wrestled much of the season?  If anyone can enlighten me on this a bit it would be much appreciated.  

Yes.  What happens is those spots aren't just allocated to Nebraska, they're allocated to the man.  If an allocation that is earned isn't wrestled by the grappler that earned it, it is revoked and added to the at-large pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like that White/Smith match is proof that takedowns should be worth 3 points.   In the second and third periods especially, if in neutral it seems that in closely contested matches, guys don’t try particularly hard to score until there’s like 30 seconds left, because they don’t want to give up the escape point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Follow up question.  Is Jensen in any type of position to earn a qualifying spot for the Big 10?

He's 14 and 3 on the season.  3 matches before the B1G Indiana,  Michigan and Minnesota.  So he finishes 15-5 

Think he'll be ranked high enough that record should earn a spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, royalfan said:

Follow up question.  Is Jensen in any type of position to earn a qualifying spot for the Big 10?

If he can get a decent Coaches Ranking (5 matches) & D1 Winning Pct (8 matches), he could earn an AQ for 285 BIG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...