Sign in to follow this  
dps831

Mark Hall v. Michael Kemerer - Match Study

Kemerer is a wrestler I don't understand. When you watch him, the first thing you think is not that he is some great technician. He has an atypical stance, takes large plodding steps, shoots relentlessly, doesn't finish cleanly and gets in these scrambles that look sloppy, but he usually finds a way to come out on top. Then if you look closely he has some great hesitation fakes and set ups from the collar. He is one of the best at penetrating and getting to the legs along with keeping outstanding position in the scramble. I can't think of any wrestler to compare him to. 

23 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Kemerer is a wrestler I don't understand. When you watch him, the first thing you think is not that he is some great technician. He has an atypical stance, takes large plodding steps, shoots relentlessly, doesn't finish cleanly and gets in these scrambles that look sloppy, but he usually finds a way to come out on top. Then if you look closely he has some great hesitation fakes and set ups from the collar. He is one of the best at penetrating and getting to the legs along with keeping outstanding position in the scramble. I can't think of any wrestler to compare him to. 

The way he penetrates and finishes the head outside single reminds me of Zauerbek Sidakov (2x World champ from Russia). In both cases, the entries look awkward, but are also deceptively fast and difficult to counter. I wonder if Kemerer studied film of Sidakov's outside single. 

47 minutes ago, dps831 said:

The way he penetrates and finishes the head outside single reminds me of Zauerbek Sidakov (2x World champ from Russia). In both cases, the entries look awkward, but are also deceptively fast and difficult to counter. I wonder if Kemerer studied film of Sidakov's outside single. 

He has been shooting that way since way before Iowa and before Sidakov was famous. He does have other shots but that outside step head outside shot has been a go-to move since probably before HS.

Aaron Pico was finding a lot of success with an outside step before he left wrestling. It was one of the key adjustments he made in his final two years in wrestling. Different finish than Kemerer but similar initial shot. 

8 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He has been shooting that way since way before Iowa and before Sidakov was famous. He does have other shots but that outside step head outside shot has been a go-to move since probably before HS.

Aaron Pico was finding a lot of success with an outside step before he left wrestling. It was one of the key adjustments he made in his final two years in wrestling. Different finish than Kemerer but similar initial shot. 

Interesting - appreciate the background info! 

This may be my most anticipated finals match, if they both make it.  Very different styles but equally talented.  It is interesting to me because we have the chance to see which coach under similar conditions and talent level can really get their guy most prepared when it finally matters.

I see this as much Brands v. Sanderson as Kem v. Hall.

Excluding illness or injury.

27 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Take a look at the jubilant reaction of the Iowa fans and team mates in the Carver Hawkeye Arena at the end of the Kemerer / Hall battle.

Mighty Mike has to feel like a warrior after all that! 

Can't wait for round 2!

HAHA I love Carver!