Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Maryland - Two Piece Uniform

A couple of questions:

1.Does anyone know if any D1 team,other then Maryland,is using

the two piece uniform ?

2.Does the whole team have to use the same uniform (singlet/two piece) ?

Unfortunately for Maryland, there are better versions of shorts out there. They are an Under Armour school so they'll get what UA gives.

I am more of a singlet guy but do not mind the move to a two-piece (if teams are wanting it). Compression tops with shorts would be my first choice after the singlet, and then compression top with compression bottoms last.

I think as the trend sublimated gear grows, we'll see more teams add it in to the rotation (much like a 3rd jersey in other sports). From there, more designs, which will lead to more teams adding them. Especially at the high school ranks where gear is king. :-)

8 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I heard this 15 years ago.  I guess we’ll see.

Lehigh was wearing them, but it is tough to be an influencer when your team colors are brown and white.  Maryland has black and that sweet, overly complex flag they like to throw out there.

41 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

They are the future of wrestling.

No they aren't.  Most serious wrestlers hate them.

In practices, tight pants (tights) or singlets are becoming more the norm.

I have zero issue with the 2 piece but they are not the future, much like the growth in popularity of MMA was going to save wrestling or even women's wrestling.

Save wrestling from what?   MMA has boosted interest in wrestling and female wrestling offers a great opportunity for growth.

I do like Maryland's uniforms.  They look great and are perfectly functional.  Also, a little more attractive than a singlet to an adolescent newcomer.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

They are the future of wrestling.

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

I heard this 15 years ago.  I guess we’ll see.

Think he was talking about Maryland, not the two piece. ;)

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

Save wrestling from what?   MMA has boosted interest in wrestling and female wrestling offers a great opportunity for growth.

I do like Maryland's uniforms.  They look great and are perfectly functional.  Also, a little more attractive than a singlet to an adolescent newcomer.

Keep ignoring that male numbers are dropping every year.  Elementary programs used to have over 100 kids, now some are lucky to have 40.  I've seen old traditional programs that always had huge numbers have JH rosters with 5 kids now.  In PA, programs are being dropped every year and they are consolidating neighboring programs.

14 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Keep ignoring that male numbers are dropping every year.  Elementary programs used to have over 100 kids, now some are lucky to have 40.  I've seen old traditional programs that always had huge numbers have JH rosters with 5 kids now.  In PA, programs are being dropped every year and they are consolidating neighboring programs.

I blame it on a generational thing...and I see it getting worse. 

Although if I knew anything I'd be rich.

Boompa, Are you saying numbers are dropping because of singlets????

Not that wrestling is one of the hardest sports there is. It is also an individual sport so there is no hiding in left field.

I have heard the singlet argument for years, it is an excuse. That is it. There are now many HS teams wearing two piece outfits. I believe those teams are still having issues getting kids out.

Most wrestlers prefer singlets. That is the truth. I have talked to many HS wrestlers about it.

I forgot about the Under Armour connection with Maryland.  Does UA actually make wrestling uniforms available to the public?   That certainly couldn’t hurt their availability of them.

FWIW I’ve talked with some middle school coaches and almost all have said the kids like the 2 piece and it has helped get kids out.  The main obstacle to getting them is the cost.   Obviously D1 wrestlers don’t mind singlets, but it couldn’t hurt from the fan perspective. 

22 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

The singlet went through a bit of a rough run there over the past ~15 years, but I think we're all the way back now and singlets are once again cool.

You are right steamboat_charlie v2, they are cool again. 

There are kids of all shapes and sizes that love their singlets and have said that if their coach goes to a 2 piece uniform, they will change clubs or transfer schools. LOL 

I know kids that are not happy that the "Low Cut" singlet has been banned with USA Wrestling. What's up with banning one of our most iconic singlets? If a kid doesn't want to wear a low cut, they don't have to, but they should not have banned it. Or was it that the gear company that USAW endorses/shoves down our throat now doesn't make a low cut? Since there is no money in it for USAW they will just ban it? 

37 minutes ago, TexRef said:

You are right steamboat_charlie v2, they are cool again. 

There are kids of all shapes and sizes that love their singlets and have said that if their coach goes to a 2 piece uniform, they will change clubs or transfer schools. LOL 

I know kids that are not happy that the "Low Cut" singlet has been banned with USA Wrestling. What's up with banning one of our most iconic singlets? If a kid doesn't want to wear a low cut, they don't have to, but they should not have banned it. Or was it that the gear company that USAW endorses/shoves down our throat now doesn't make a low cut? Since there is no money in it for USAW they will just ban it? 

Your last paragraph is way off base.  This was not a USAW issue.

Sometime between the 2000 and 2004 Olympics the international federation (FILA, now UWW) mandated high cut singlets.  I am sure this was a combination of an effort to improve presentation (just look up the Karelin/Gardner 2000 Gold Medal final and you will see Karelin's undershorts are exposed for the duration of the match) and increase scoring (there is absolutely a competitive advantage to a low cut singlet which makes gut wrenches easier to defend when applied to exposed skin versus fabric).

We just followed these guidelines domestically, and rightfully so.

41 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I have to admit that for those of us with extremely large genitalia that singlets sometimes leave little to the imagination. 

None of us really wanted to imagine what you've got that leaves little to the imagination. :0

Princeton was wearing them for a while, i think when they were bad. Just like Maryland so maybe it's a reflection on that? lol 

Don't recall ever seeing Lehigh in a 2 piece.

My opinion is  the shorts with these unis end up being basketball shorts, especially at the elementary level and they look stupid, go play basketball if that's the look you are seeking. The idea behind the "shorts" was more like MMA, tight fitting shorts and a tight top, not what we are seeing.

long live the singlet!