Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Maryland - Two Piece Uniform

On 2/4/2020 at 8:29 AM, Cruiser94 said:

I don't know which is worse, The gear or the team. UGH.

I don't know of any other NCAA team that sports the 2-piece gear.

I know dude, if I see a result involving Maryland I have no interest in the details. Given the scholarships they have to use and their proximity to a lot of talent it is like they are trying to suck. 

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I forgot about the Under Armour connection with Maryland.  Does UA actually make wrestling uniforms available to the public?   That certainly couldn’t hurt their availability of them.

FWIW I’ve talked with some middle school coaches and almost all have said the kids like the 2 piece and it has helped get kids out.  The main obstacle to getting them is the cost.   Obviously D1 wrestlers don’t mind singlets, but it couldn’t hurt from the fan perspective. 

UA absolutely makes wrestling uniforms available to the public. In D1 alone Northwestern, Lehigh, Wisconsin, Campbell and others all use UA singlets. Lots of high schools use UA singlet and I have a seen a number that use the 2 piece. On their uniform site you can build custom singlets, womens singlets, and shirt/short combos. 

https://www.uacustomuniforms.com/Sports/Wrestling

On 2/4/2020 at 10:51 AM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

The singlet went through a bit of a rough run there over the past ~15 years, but I think we're all the way back now and singlets are once again cool.

Yeah I was out a club Saturday night and saw this guy walking around the bar in his singlet. The dude got all the chicks!

I don’t consider wearing shorts that could pass for a bathing suit functional in a wrestling match.  I think they are great for student athletes before the match and after the match, but a singlet is more functional during the actual match. 

The first year I wrestled almost exclusively in a pair of cotton sweatpants and a cotton long sleeved shirt, plus white Converse Hi-tops. NO SINGLET! Got to be bare assed in a B-team match when a kid did a double leg on me! Next year I made first team and got to wear a singlet with TIGHTS!! BOO YA!! Huge upgrade. No need to worry about getting pantsed! Got too cool for tights once in 8th grade and mat burn made me put the tights back on. 

Maybe we should do like the Turks, put on some leather shorts and slather ourselves in baby oil? 

Edited by TobusRex

It’s easy to keep track of 25 singlet’s, but schools like Maryland have to worry about 50 pieces now. From a $$$ standpoint, why incur the cost. Leave the singlet in place and spend more time and money working on keeping wrestling in the curriculum where it's susceptible and growing the sport where possible.

23 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

It’s easy to keep track of 25 singlet’s, but schools like Maryland have to worry about 50 pieces now. From a $$$ standpoint, why incur the cost. Leave the singlet in place and spend more time and money working on keeping wrestling in the curriculum where it's susceptible and growing the sport where possible.

Considering they came from Under Armour, they may not have cost anything.

15 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I forgot about the Under Armour connection with Maryland.  Does UA actually make wrestling uniforms available to the public?   That certainly couldn’t hurt their availability of them.

FWIW I’ve talked with some middle school coaches and almost all have said the kids like the 2 piece and it has helped get kids out.  The main obstacle to getting them is the cost.   Obviously D1 wrestlers don’t mind singlets, but it couldn’t hurt from the fan perspective. 

Last I heard it was Cliff Keen producing the UA labeled wrestling gear. 

Those on this board claiming that younger wrestlers love singlets and it will hurt the sport if we move BACK toward a 2 piece uniform are on another planet. Every survey and study that has been done on the matter overwhelmingly indicates that the singlet is a deterrence to participation at the youth (especially jr high) levels. Below is one quick example.

I’ll never understand the deep attachment some people on this site have to the singlet in the face of overwhelming evidence that it’s a deterrent to growing our sport...or perhaps just stemming the decline. 

The singlet defenders are now at the point of making laundry based arguments when the “overwhelming majority” of 8,500 youth coaches say singlets are a deterrent to participation. 

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/February/16/Ditching-the-Singlet-Take-2

Why not just go with Tommy John underwear?  We've all had to watch the commercials of folks lounging around the house in their underwear so it'd be no shock to any to see in public on the mat. Think about it: new wrestling funding from TJ, works for men & women's programs, wrestlers just walk into the gym in the normal college street clothes strip down to underwear & jump on the mat  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21 hours ago, pamela said:

The current singlets look better than ever before, but they still have singlet world problems. Take the photo of DT on this week's UWW Weekly FIVE! newsletter, for instance - yeeeesh.

If wrestling refuses to move on from the singlet, at least encourage those who cover wrestling to make use of the image crop function.

Yikes.. I wish I didn't click on that link

On 2/6/2020 at 1:29 PM, MDogg said:

Those on this board claiming that younger wrestlers love singlets and it will hurt the sport if we move BACK toward a 2 piece uniform are on another planet. Every survey and study that has been done on the matter overwhelmingly indicates that the singlet is a deterrence to participation at the youth (especially jr high) levels. Below is one quick example.

I’ll never understand the deep attachment some people on this site have to the singlet in the face of overwhelming evidence that it’s a deterrent to growing our sport...or perhaps just stemming the decline. 

The singlet defenders are now at the point of making laundry based arguments when the “overwhelming majority” of 8,500 youth coaches say singlets are a deterrent to participation. 

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/February/16/Ditching-the-Singlet-Take-2

The problem with new junior high participation is if you wait until junior high to start wrestling, you are gonna get your butt kicked by kids who have been in club wrestling year round since age 5.

13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

The problem with new junior high participation is if you wait until junior high to start wrestling, you are gonna get your butt kicked by kids who have been in club wrestling year round since age 5.

True but countless programs across the country that are built around this. These kids most likely wont become state/national level wrestlers but they do well at the local city/county/league level and are the grass roots foundation of participation numbers.

When we hear that participation numbers are going down these are the kids we're talking about. The ones that start wrestling with their junior high school teams.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, Boompa said:

No they aren't.  Most serious wrestlers hate them.

In practices, tight pants (tights) or singlets are becoming more the norm.

I have zero issue with the 2 piece but they are not the future, much like the growth in popularity of MMA was going to save wrestling or even women's wrestling.

The growth of mma has helped wrestling.  There are quite a few guys who wrestle just to make them better at mma. 

On 2/23/2020 at 1:59 PM, jchapman said:

But depending on the state/area the number of kids wrestling year round since age 5 isn’t necessarily that high.  Tons of kids first start in middle school or later

It is utterly fascinating to me and a coaching buddy how things that are well known deterrents to new people are blown off by people who either.. blow it off or make excuses like “generational”

One would also think that this generation actually needs wrestling more so than past generations. For those very same excuses given for shrinking numbers. 

oh yes there’s the youth coach line “if a kid doesn’t first join cause of a singlet he’s not tough enough anyway”.. which is ridiculous on so many levels

And do people not realize that we should want my to get people more involved? Or is it cooler to be part of the shrinking “tuff” crowd.