Scorenomore

Can we put the Cox question to bed?

1 hour ago, Scorenomore said:

Cox competes next weekend so it will be official once he gets on the scale.  USA wrestling posted a release that he is wrestling 86/97. 

Hedging his bets and doing both. I like it! When he wins both spots can he wrestle both at the Olympics or will he have to choose?

its a 25lb difference in weight class... either way cox goes takes a long commitment to get in either direction the right way to perform... and by long we are talking 6-12 months minimum to do it right... even then it is a stretch... this tourney will be his test to see if he has done it right and if he hasn't he has a couple of months to fine tune his prep for trials... 

whatever weight he goes is what he is going for trials guaranteed...

12 hours ago, LJB said:

its a 25lb difference in weight class... either way cox goes takes a long commitment to get in either direction the right way to perform... and by long we are talking 6-12 months minimum to do it right... even then it is a stretch... this tourney will be his test to see if he has done it right and if he hasn't he has a couple of months to fine tune his prep for trials... 

whatever weight he goes is what he is going for trials guaranteed...

I would agree with this with one *exception. If he is using this as his test cut (as opposed to doing one prior, which honestly I’d think he would, but anyway...) and simply finds he just can’t perform at a high enough level after the cut.  And is then deciding. I don’t think it is likely, like you I think Cuba weight is OTT weight.  Just this one step short of guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I would agree with this with one *exception. If he is using this as his test cut (as opposed to doing one prior, which honestly I’d think he would, but anyway...) and simply finds he just can’t perform at a high enough level after the cut.  And is then deciding. I don’t think it is likely, like you I think Cuba weight is OTT weight.  Just this one step short of guaranteed. 

he can't change his decision this late in the game... this isn't the difference in a kid thinking about 26 or 32 at regionals... this is 25lbs wrestling other grown men... he is pot commited... the only changes he will make is just in preperation...

45 minutes ago, LJB said:

he can't change his decision this late in the game... this isn't the difference in a kid thinking about 26 or 32 at regionals... this is 25lbs wrestling other grown men... he is pot commited... the only changes he will make is just in preperation...

I fully understand what this is, what this isn’t, and what the differences are. Just throwing a hypothetical out there that IF this is a test cut (which as I said I would be surprised if that were the case), and he didn’t like the results. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I fully understand what this is, what this isn’t, and what the differences are. Just throwing a hypothetical out there that IF this is a test cut (which as I said I would be surprised if that were the case), and he didn’t like the results. 

I'm fairly certain that LJB's point is that if he cuts to 86 for Cuba and is unhappy with that decision, that he won't enough have time to 'properly' get to 97 for the Trials. 

2 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

I'm fairly certain that LJB's point is that if he cuts to 86 for Cuba and is unhappy with that decision, that he won't enough have time to 'properly' get to 97 for the Trials. 

I know, and don’t disagree. 

Has the Cerro Pelado entry list been published yet? I think Greco starts tomorrow, right? So maybe the entries are locked in by now.

It would also be funny if Cox decided to troll everyone and go 92kg for the tournament. It would probably be an empty bracket though like the non-Oly weights at Yarygin.

3 minutes ago, pamela said:

Has the Cerro Pelado entry list been published yet? I think Greco starts tomorrow, right? So maybe the entries are locked in by now.

It would also be funny if Cox decided to troll everyone and go 92kg for the tournament. It would probably be an empty bracket though like the non-Oly weights at Yarygin.

92 honestly wouldn't be a bad idea if he was going 86, given how tough the cut would be. But I think it would solidify that 86 is his choice. If he was going 97, he would have no problem putting on the weight, and it wouldn't make sense to cut to 92 just for ****s and giggles.

Gotta respect J'Den's decision to be the very best he can be. He's not looking for the easy route, he wants Snyder, he wants Mohammadian, he wants Sadulaev.

And it sounds like it isn't an excuse for not being able to make the cut, which I thought would be the biggest challenge for him. Apparently, 92kg was an easy weight cut and he was underweight at the last finalX? Wow!

Wow. Amazing to think that one of either Snyder or Cox won’t be on the team this year! 

I’ll be a die hard supporter of whoever winds up being our rep, but I personally think Cox has a better shot at taking out Sadulaev. 

6 minutes ago, pamela said:

Gotta respect J'Den's decision to be the very best he can be. He's not looking for the easy route, he wants Snyder, he wants Mohammadian, he wants Sadulaev.

And it sounds like it isn't an excuse for not being able to make the cut, which I thought would be the biggest challenge for him. Apparently, 92kg was an easy weight cut and he was underweight at the last finalX? Wow!

97 is probably easier domestically, but, much tougher internationally... 

my gut tells me cox has an easier time with snyder than taylor...

regardless, 97 finally has some spice to it domestically...

What a story line.  They have a history dating back to Cadets, both Olympic medalists with college eligibility remaining...Snyders leaves OSU for NLWC, Cox comes into OSU right behind him, and then chooses his weight to go after.  You gotta love this stuff!!!