Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Who has the best shot at beating Spencer this year?

Mueller definitely has the skillset and I think Picc can do it if he can get out of the 1st period without getting taken down.  If Glory can wrestle as well as he did on his feet against Picc, I think he has a chance.  However, the Midlands version of Glory stands NO CHANCE.....

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

without Rivera it seems like the answer is noone.  Any ideas?

Didn't Picc pin Lee in the dual meet last year?  Don't you think that means he has at least a little bit of a chance?  They probably meet twice. 

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Mueller definitely has the skillset and I think Picc can do it if he can get out of the 1st period without getting taken down.  If Glory can wrestle as well as he did on his feet against Picc, I think he has a chance.  However, the Midlands version of Glory stands NO CHANCE.....

Where was the guy from that Glory wrestled in the semis?  Somewhere in the big 10 (indiana?), he was good (was injured in OT).

Everyone mentioned is not in the big 10 (picc, mueller, glory).  Picc is going to Iowa to wrestle Lee, I doubt he wins there.  So will probalby be Lee meeting Picc in the semis and Glory meeting Mueller in the other semis.  

Honestly, Spencer will probably be his worst enemy. I doubt this will happen but it's possible that he looks ahead of NCAAs or treats the tournament as a tune-up and trains to peak at for OTTs. Otherwise, I feel like he will likely bulldoze his way through the bracket.

29 minutes ago, ScarletKnight said:

Where was the guy from that Glory wrestled in the semis?  Somewhere in the big 10 (indiana?), he was good (was injured in OT).

Everyone mentioned is not in the big 10 (picc, mueller, glory).  Picc is going to Iowa to wrestle Lee, I doubt he wins there.  So will probalby be Lee meeting Picc in the semis and Glory meeting Mueller in the other semis.  

That was Brock Hudkins. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

without Rivera it seems like the answer is noone.  Any ideas?

I firmly believe the one individual who could* beat Spencer Lee is Jack Mueller - that's only if they make it into the 3rd period.  Mueller said in an interview that he gave Spencer too much respect. I also took from that interview he was a bit intimidated over Lee's credentials and achievements on the world stage. How else does one explain the complete control of Rivera (someone who beat Lee twice) while on top, then lose to Lee with what appeared to be half the effort.

No one beats Lee in the first and second periods (including Glory and Picc) but it could* be Jack that does it if they get to the 3rd.

*could - as in possibility, but in the end I still think Lee wins it all.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

19 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Why wait? He's a better folk wrestler already than either Brands was. How long has it been since we've had a "player-coach" in NCAA wrestling, or ever?

Robin Reed was Oregon State's coach while still a student there.  However, I think he'd already retired from amateur wrestling - having already won the Olympics and multiple AAU titles.  ( Prior to the creation of the NCAA, the AAU was the top tournament for college wrestlers.)

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2