MSU158

DeSanto/RBY injury take from Darren McFadden on FRL

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

A completely torn meniscus, key word being completely, is just as bad as a completely torn acl. Your knee is going to blow up and fill with blood

You lose stability and it has to be re attached. Its a large ligament that you need for cushioning.

Caveat: no idea if that report is true. 

Except the meniscus is not a ligament.  Are you referring to the MCL?  The medial collateral ligament is very much different than the meniscus.  Which are you trying to refer to?  

I've had injuries to both, and the recovery time to meniscus (75% of mine was removed) is far quicker than the typical ACL/MCL destruction.  

10 minutes ago, Iscored2onu said:

Except the meniscus is not a ligament.  Are you referring to the MCL?  The medial collateral ligament is very much different than the meniscus.  Which are you trying to refer to?  

I've had injuries to both, and the recovery time to meniscus (75% of mine was removed) is far quicker than the typical ACL/MCL destruction.  

Recovery time from removing the meniscus is much quicker than repairing it (which is much more common these days).

If the tear is in an area which has decent blood flow, they typically repair it which can take 3-4 months to heal. If its on the fringe outer area they typicaly with shave down the rough edges while trying to keep as kuch as possible. This can heel in a few weeks.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Just now, BigTenFanboy said:

Recovery time from removing the meniscus is much quicker than repairing it (which is much more common these days).

Correct.  I honestly wish I didn't have mine removed when I did.  I have far more issues now and will probably be looking at replacement at a ripe young age lol

I've had six knee surgeries. Everything from scopes to re-construction and I'm supposed to have a replacement, but at 51 I'll hold off as long as possible.

With that said, I worked three months with total ACL tear.  It didn't necessarily hurt but it would pop out on me pretty consistently.  The reconstructions were 8-10 months before I was fit enough to do anything.  I was coaching wrestling and soccer and still playing soccer.  The last injury put me out of commission as far as playing a sport.  Washed up at 40.  All the recovering times were different.  I didn't do the work I should have after one of them and it hurt me in the long run.  

Hoping DeSanto is okay or will be okay.  I was 19 with my first surgery and recovered great.  Hoping that youth and strength is on DeSanto's side.  I like the kid.

11 hours ago, nom said:

All that said, it''s been very interesting to see how people react and respond to this situation.  

The tribal mentality is fascinating even when dealing with the health of someone.  And it reflects the tribal nature of so much debate we see out there in the world.  Very few actually try to rise above it.  Instead it is more fun to join the 'us' and degrade the 'them.'

Tribal mentality is dangerous and deserves deep self evaluation. It is a natural phenomenon and the internet has really brought this out in all of us. 

What is scary is how easily it is exploited. By simply creating an us verse them narrative, people will ignore humanity, empathy, reason, and truth to serve the narrative. In politics it is called negative integration(not to be confused with economic negative/positive integration) and has been the driving force behind some of the worst nationalistic movements and atrocities in the 20th century. 

Edited by russelscout

10 hours ago, Iscored2onu said:

I am referring to the meniscus. I guess its technically cartilage. That lemon shaped cushion between the shinbone and thighbone that sits behind the kneecap. The guy completely tore his off the bone and his knee swelled up bigtime within an hour. He had it re attached and wore a flexible brace/cast for  2 months. Wasn't fully healed for another 2 to 3 months. 

Edited by TBar1977