shieldofpistis

Lee true number 1 at 141

I have been very impressed with Lee.  He even defeated Mckenna once last year. I believe that Mckenna was a bad call away from defeating Yianni.  That speaks to how good Lee was last year.  This year he is even better.   He doesn't seem to be ultra athletic.  I think his success revolves around his gas tank, being relentless, and his technique.  

Over the years 141 has been one of the best weight classes to watch.  When it's all said and done, I am not sure how competitive it will actually be this year. 

Have to agree, not sure how you separate these guys on the eye test.

Nor can you separate them based on common opponents. Their common results are pretty close too this year. In their 7 common opponents this year Lee has 3 TF, 3 MD and 1 D while Pletcher has 2 F, 0 TF, 6 MD and 1 D.

How can we possibly determine who is the real number 1? Oh yeah. 

Right now it's splitting hairs with these two. Order doesn't matter considering they're going to get to settle it on the mat.

The issue with the 141 rankings IMO is Real Woods.  For my money he's the 3rd best guy at the weight, and I'm definitely not alone there. He could easily end up as the #8 or #9 seed with only 1 loss, and blow up the whole bracket.  See: 2019 Mekhi Lewis.  

7 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

The issue with the 141 rankings IMO is Real Woods.  For my money he's the 3rd best guy at the weight...

I've only seen six or so matches of Woods.  What I've seen the kid looks great...

1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

The entire wrestling world has their fingers crossed that we don’t get a duck in this one. Really really looking forward to it though (knock on wood).

I can not see a circumstance that would lead  'Pletch' to duck...Except maybe Tom and God...

Nick Lee's performance at the Olympic Trials Qualifier in Dec is probably more impressive than what Pletcher has done this season.  Wins over Molinaro and Eierman in freestyle are more impressive than Dom Demas, Real Woods, and Mitch McKee (x2) though they certainly don't count in the rankings.  Everything should be settled by the dual and if not then big tens.

2 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Nick Lee's performance at the Olympic Trials Qualifier in Dec is probably more impressive than what Pletcher has done this season.  Wins over Molinaro and Eierman in freestyle are more impressive than Dom Demas, Real Woods, and Mitch McKee (x2) though they certainly don't count in the rankings.  Everything should be settled by the dual and if not then big tens.

Freestyle does not expose Lee's only weakness , on bottom,being ridden. We shall see.

4 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Anyone else giving Real Woods a fighters chance to go on a tear in March and take home 1st? Kids a damn good wrestler. I wouldn’t bet my house on him, but I think it’s in the realm of possibility. 

Considering his match with Pletcher earlier this year, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the kid could win it.  It's his only loss and in OT. 

Edited by Idaho

17 minutes ago, southend said:

Freestyle does not expose Lee's only weakness , on bottom,being ridden. We shall see.

When has nick lee been ridden since his freshman year? I believe he got away from McKenna without riding time in all 3 matches last year and McKenna is more of hammer on top then any current 141 in my opinion 

On 2/4/2020 at 7:52 PM, Antitroll2828 said:

When has nick lee been ridden since his freshman year? I believe he got away from McKenna without riding time in all 3 matches last year and McKenna is more of hammer on top then any current 141 in my opinion 

I  broadly agree with this sentiment, but McKenna got the rising point on Lee which was the difference in their match at NCAAs (McKenna won 4-3).   Lee did not give up riding time to McKenna at big tens or in the dual which Lee won.   I think that’s the only riding time point he gave up last year.   In his loss to Moran, Lee earned the riding time point which sent it to OT and against Demás riding time was not a factor.  Demas inside tripping him 3 times was the major issue. 

1 minute ago, Fishbane said:

I  broadly agree with this sentiment, but McKenna got the rising point on Lee which was the difference in their match at NCAAs (McKenna won 4-3).   Lee did not give up riding time to McKenna at big tens or in the dual which Lee won.   I think that’s the only riding time point he gave up last year.   In his loss to Moran, Lee earned the riding time point which sent it to OT and against Demás riding time was not a factor.  Demas inside tripping him 3 times was the major issue. 

Lee is hammer on top himself, and the fact he amasses a lot of RT makes it hard to get RT on him. 

On 2/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Right now it's splitting hairs with these two. Order doesn't matter considering they're going to get to settle it on the mat.

The issue with the 141 rankings IMO is Real Woods.  For my money he's the 3rd best guy at the weight, and I'm definitely not alone there. He could easily end up as the #8 or #9 seed with only 1 loss, and blow up the whole bracket.  See: 2019 Mekhi Lewis.  

There's no way Woods gets seeded that low if he doesn't lose before NCAAs. The seeding has not penalized weaker schedules in recent years. He will at worst, be a 3 seed and could be a 2. Mekhi has some losses early in the season last year that led to his lower seed. Woods has been really good all year and if he is improving anywhere near the way Mekhi did last year, he definitely has a chance to make a run.

48 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Rooting for a Pletcher. Dude looks good this year and entertaining as hell. Plus, I’m not a fan of PSU, sport becomes dull with the same team winning all the time. 

Honestly, both these dudes are just straight up easy to like.  They are going out, crushing people, wrestling strong, 7 hard minutes and have a no-nonsense attitude.  I'd say even for PSU haters, Nick Lee is that one guy on the team you respect and don't really root against.   Awesome matchup, can't wait

19 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Honestly, both these dudes are just straight up easy to like.  They are going out, crushing people, wrestling strong, 7 hard minutes and have a no-nonsense attitude.  I'd say even for PSU haters, Nick Lee is that one guy on the team you respect and don't really root against.   Awesome matchup, can't wait

I agree that Nick Lee is a stud and seems like a stand up guy doing all the right things. If there is one wrestler I like on the PSU line-up he’s definitely it. I think nick lee takes it this year, but I’d like pletcher to win. 

I don't get all the bias against PSU wrestlers. Sure, they're on top but they're not showboats or terribly arrogant. If anything I would say that they all "act like they've been there before." Hall is the only one that even shows emotion half the time.