shieldofpistis

Lee true number 1 at 141

On 2/4/2020 at 6:33 PM, southend said:

Freestyle does not expose Lee's only weakness , on bottom,being ridden. We shall see.

Actually this is wrong.  Lee's only weakness was a lack of scrambling ability.  This is what lost him his match vs Moran a year ago.  He hasn't had trouble on bottom since high school.

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

There's no way Woods gets seeded that low if he doesn't lose before NCAAs. The seeding has not penalized weaker schedules in recent years. He will at worst, be a 3 seed and could be a 2. Mekhi has some losses early in the season last year that led to his lower seed. Woods has been really good all year and if he is improving anywhere near the way Mekhi did last year, he definitely has a chance to make a run.

I think you are right here. Woods has the greatest potential for his seed to exceed his ranking. 

13 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't get all the bias against PSU wrestlers. Sure, they're on top but they're not showboats or terribly arrogant. If anything I would say that they all "act like they've been there before." Hall is the only one that even shows emotion half the time.

I agree for most PSU guys. But then last year it also annoyed a lot of people when Nickal picked up his opponents like toddlers and patted them on the back after he pinned them. PSU fans will call it sportsmanship, but most other fans saw it as patronizing and condescending.

12 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I agree for most PSU guys. But then last year it also annoyed a lot of people when Nickal picked up his opponents like toddlers and patted them on the back after he pinned them. PSU fans will call it sportsmanship, but most other fans saw it as patronizing and condescending.

http://3odzjk.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker

Psu comes off as cocky and confident. The fans make it easy to dislike them. And who wants the same team winning all the time? Makes the sport dull and boring. Wouldn’t mind them losing for the next few years. Not to mention what RBY just pulled which comes off as blatant and dirty to me. I don’t mind the emotions and showboating as long as no one gets hurt. 

25 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I'm with you on Nickal, I thought that was pretty tasteless but I think that started because he was angling for the Hodge via sportsmanship and it went real sideways to the point it came across very condescending to many. Cox put him in his place at Final X last year, and he's running from his big brother at 86 this OTT it looks like, so what goes around comes around on that. Nolf, Zain, etc. never did that, and Joseph, Hall, Lee, etc. are not either

2 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Psu comes off as cocky and confident. The fans make it easy to dislike them. And who wants the same team winning all the time? Makes the sport dull and boring. Wouldn’t mind them losing for the next few years. Not to mention what RBY just pulled which comes off as blatant and dirty to me. I don’t mind the emotions and showboating as long as no one gets hurt. 

Video of Desanto doing it the proper way

3oe2j5.gifvia Imgflip GIF Maker

11 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Did you have the same feelings during the Iowa and Ok State championship runs (which lasted 2x-3x longer than the current Penn State run)?

54 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think you are right here. Woods has the greatest potential for his seed to exceed his ranking. 

Don't most rankers have him at 3 already, though? He could jump to 2 if Lee loses.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Did you have the same feelings during the Iowa and Ok State championship runs (which lasted 2x-3x longer than the current Penn State run)?

I’m not aware of this.

19 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

It's almost always the fans that make a team easy to dislike. That's true of PSU now and was/is true of Iowa. Both teams are full of great wrestlers that are fun to watch, but the fans make you want to root against them. When their team is on top, they get cocky and self-righteous.

The problem with ranking Real Woods too highly is his best result for that is losing to Pletcher.  He doesn't have any wins of real note.  I THINK he's ubertalented, and I THINK he's the 3rd or 4th best guy at the weight, but there's not much evidence to base it on.  If he didn't AA, I wouldn't be shocked.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:31 PM, goheels1812 said:

Anyone else giving Real Woods a fighters chance to go on a tear in March and take home 1st? Kids a damn good wrestler. I wouldn’t bet my house on him, but I think it’s in the realm of possibility. 

I am.  He's the real deal.  

On 2/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, shieldofpistis said:

I have been very impressed with Lee.  He even defeated Mckenna once last year. I believe that Mckenna was a bad call away from defeating Yianni.  That speaks to how good Lee was last year.  This year he is even better.   He doesn't seem to be ultra athletic.  I think his success revolves around his gas tank, being relentless, and his technique.  

Over the years 141 has been one of the best weight classes to watch.  When it's all said and done, I am not sure how competitive it will actually be this year. 

Ironically, 2 of Lee's high school losses came to pretty good guys:

2014 - as a freshman, he lost in Semi-finals of Indiana State to Micic (who was a senior) as 126 by score of 10-3 

2016 - as a Junior at 132 he lost in back & forth match to Chad Red 6-5 on late take-down 6-5

Funny thing is if Lee wrestles next year he will finish college eligibility the same time as Micic who was a Senior in High School when Lee was a Freshman; granted LEE took his senior high school year off to wrestle in Nitney Lion Wrestling Club.

LOL, will Micic be eligible for Social Security next year?  - he will end up with 7 seasons of eligibility. That has to be an NCAA record. 

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

There's no way Woods gets seeded that low if he doesn't lose before NCAAs. The seeding has not penalized weaker schedules in recent years. He will at worst, be a 3 seed and could be a 2. Mekhi has some losses early in the season last year that led to his lower seed. Woods has been really good all year and if he is improving anywhere near the way Mekhi did last year, he definitely has a chance to make a run.

Hopefully you're right and my concerns are unfounded.

I'm just thinking of a scenario where neither RPI nor coaches' rankings look favorable for him.  

#3 Real Woods is a force to be reckoned with. Those who take him likely do so at their own peril. This tough kid could do what sleeper 125lb #6 Lizak did at the 2017 NCAA’s – blast through the brackets all the way to the finals. The way he's currently wrestling, his coach and team wouldn't be surprised. Neither would I.

24 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

The problem with ranking Real Woods too highly is his best result for that is losing to Pletcher.  He doesn't have any wins of real note.  I THINK he's ubertalented, and I THINK he's the 3rd or 4th best guy at the weight, but there's not much evidence to base it on.  If he didn't AA, I wouldn't be shocked.

You're not wrong, but everyone not named Lee or Pletcher has multiple loses (except Murin, but he won't be seeded above Woods), so Woods will be seeded 3 (or 2) mostly out of attrition rather than because he has any significant wins.

11 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

You're not wrong, but everyone not named Lee or Pletcher has multiple loses (except Murin, but he won't be seeded above Woods), so Woods will be seeded 3 (or 2) mostly out of attrition rather than because he has any significant wins.

I have no idea what they'll do with Murin.  He has a better win then any of Woods', plus he's ranked higher in some places, but he also has a loss (and a pretty decisive one), however that's also to a guy better than anyone Real has beaten.  I'm pretty sure Real is better than Murin, but I'd like to see some better results to make that seeding determination.  I think Murin should be ranked higher at this point, but that Real will likely be seeded higher (providing both guys win the matches they should from here on out).

2 hours ago, Chitown said:

Ironically, 2 of Lee's high school losses came to pretty good guys:

2014 - as a freshman, he lost in Semi-finals of Indiana State to Micic (who was a senior) as 126 by score of 10-3 

2016 - as a Junior at 132 he lost in back & forth match to Chad Red 6-5 on late take-down 6-5

Funny thing is if Lee wrestles next year he will finish college eligibility the same time as Micic who was a Senior in High School when Lee was a Freshman; granted LEE took his senior high school year off to wrestle in Nitney Lion Wrestling Club.

LOL, will Micic be eligible for Social Security next year?  - he will end up with 7 seasons of eligibility. That has to be an NCAA record. 

Close, but not quite.  Nick got the initial TD, fireman's dump straight to the back for 2 NF.  Red got an escape.  4-1 end of 1.  Red down to start the 2nd, gets and escape, 2 TD and 2 NF on a cradle.  Rides out Lee to end the period up 6-4.  Lee goes down and is ridden the entire period until an escape at the buzzer to make it 6-5.

Edited by Bozak2018