Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

European Championship - Feb 10-16

Chamizo won gold by defeating Gazimagomedov in finals 5-3. It was a tough match, Gazi almost had the win if he could convert that step-out in the last seconds. Chamizo being Chamizo defended it well.

later Chamizo made interesting comments (excerpt from UWW)

After the award ceremony, Chamizo stated he believes that Gazimagomedov is a lot better than the man that beat him in last year’s world finals, Zaurbek Sidakov. “(Sidakov) is a cool guy, and he’s training good, but I think (Gazimagomedov) is much better than him,” Chamizo said. “Look, (Sidakov and I) wrestled in 2018, and my training was about 50%. I didn’t perform. It was the same thing in 2019. My knee and ankle weren’t good. Right now, I’m good. But, where is (Sidakov)?”

UWW article also talked about Gazi should get a chance via wrestle-off with Sidakov for Tokyo seat

As it sits now, Sidakov is the top choice to represent Russia at the Olympic Games. But, Gazimagomedov’s Yariguin win and European silver-medal finish further his case that he deserves at least a wrestle-off to show just how worthy of a competitor he is. 

1 hour ago, freestyle_fan said:

Chamizo won gold by defeating Gazimagomedov in finals 5-3. It was a tough match, Gazi almost had the win if he could convert that step-out in the last seconds. Chamizo being Chamizo defended it well.

later Chamizo made interesting comments (excerpt from UWW)

After the award ceremony, Chamizo stated he believes that Gazimagomedov is a lot better than the man that beat him in last year’s world finals, Zaurbek Sidakov. “(Sidakov) is a cool guy, and he’s training good, but I think (Gazimagomedov) is much better than him,” Chamizo said. “Look, (Sidakov and I) wrestled in 2018, and my training was about 50%. I didn’t perform. It was the same thing in 2019. My knee and ankle weren’t good. Right now, I’m good. But, where is (Sidakov)?”

UWW article also talked about Gazi should get a chance via wrestle-off with Sidakov for Tokyo seat

As it sits now, Sidakov is the top choice to represent Russia at the Olympic Games. But, Gazimagomedov’s Yariguin win and European silver-medal finish further his case that he deserves at least a wrestle-off to show just how worthy of a competitor he is. 

I mean I don't know if he is head and shoulders above Sidakov, maybe @sidakova4991 can give us some inside knowlegde, but i've always thought he was one of Russia's best.
Absolutely destroys people and it's great to watch.

2 hours ago, freestyle_fan said:

He deserves a wrestle-off, but losing to a guy that Sidakov has beaten the past two years is probably not furthering his case.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:37 PM, spladle08 said:

I mean I don't know if he is head and shoulders above Sidakov, maybe @sidakova4991 can give us some inside knowlegde, but i've always thought he was one of Russia's best.
Absolutely destroys people and it's great to watch.

Gazimagomedov is definitely one of Russia's best - without any doubt.  He is inconsistent sometimes, like losing to the Turkish guy in last year's Euros; losing to Kurbanaliev; etc.  He is absolutely the second best at 74.