Sign in to follow this  

PA Publics Sending Out Girls to Force Forfeits From Notre Dame

9 minutes ago, RichB said:

Pennsylvania Catholic Schools, I am far from expert, but as I observed it seems almost all High schools are set up as 9th - 12th. Some of them are all male or all female, moreso in the very big cities. They are generally fed by k-8 Parochial schools,  maybe 2 to 12 of them for a given HS. I think  there are a few places with K-5 and a -6-8 middle school. There is not much controversy with kids brought up thru parochial schools for 9 , even for 3-5 years.

yep

Can a kid go to any private school or are they still limited to whatever boundaries exist? They can public or private,  but can't necessarily choose which private institution?

We have the parochial K-8 with 9-12 HS.  There are 2 all boys schools and 3 all girls.  In addition there are three coed Catholic schools of which my kids attend one.   While most K-8 historically feed to one HS there is no set rule.  You have to take a test for the school you want to enroll in, but it doesn't have to be the one closest to you.  Also a number of kids may go the public route then.

I know there are transfer rules for competing if you choose to leave one for another.

10 minutes ago, MonagFam said:

Can a kid go to any private school or are they still limited to whatever boundaries exist? They can public or private,  but can't necessarily choose which private institution?

We have the parochial K-8 with 9-12 HS.  There are 2 all boys schools and 3 all girls.  In addition there are three coed Catholic schools of which my kids attend one.   While most K-8 historically feed to one HS there is no set rule.  You have to take a test for the school you want to enroll in, but it doesn't have to be the one closest to you.  Also a number of kids may go the public route then.

I know there are transfer rules for competing if you choose to leave one for another.

For a few years the Catholic HS were to have boundaries, but I don't know if they were ever clear. Seems to me the PIAA should just assign each of the 500 School districts to one of the 50 or so Catholic HS, Philadelphia, and the closer in suburbs present unique problems

The Lee thing, yes he moved prior to HS. But he also took Brown with him. Which was another story itself. But the school they left was really on a up swing, but lost two top notch light weights. Never could cross that line.

Plus is not one of the kids on ND a state champ from another state last year? And is one of the top 3 this year at his weight.

Here in Idaho we have Bishop Kelly, in every sport accept wrestling. They pretty much run in the 4A. They keep saying they don't recruit, but lets get real no school can run the table in every sport for the past 10-15 years. Open enrollment make a big difference when they are competing against bigger schools but has boundaries.

Look up Kennedy Christian basketball in PA. Half their kids are playing D1 bball now. They had kids from all around the world on that team.

The coach who led Kennedy to its first basketball success (as kennedy chrstian) 4 state titles raped most of the cheerleaders, but they dropped the wrestling team

KC is listed as a small school like 2A out of 6

Edited by RichB

If anyone(Pennsylvanians) is interested, I have worked out a Dual team tournament for Hershey involving: 3 public school classes of 16 teams each, and 8-9-10 private/catholic schools. Thursday AM Thru Saturday ~10:PM(no hockey),  8 places (6 for privates), five mats, Mostly ,mostly, just 2 quarterfinals at a time, 2 semifinals at a time. one final at a time(with coincident consolations)    

This is a brilliant move, and a good coach sends out the wrestler who will score the most points for the team.  If there happens to be a school that discriminates based on race, sex, gender, religion, etc, that's not the problem of the school receiving the forfeit. 

correct me if i'm wrong, but do the PIAA transfer rules also pertain to Catholics?

and yes, recruiting out of state kids to come wrestle in PA is certainly ruffling feathers. Esp when they are state champs. And even though this is perhaps the strongest wrestling district in PA, this is weakening the rest of the district by taking away their better wrestlers.

6 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

correct me if i'm wrong, but do the PIAA transfer rules also pertain to Catholics?

and yes, recruiting out of state kids to come wrestle in PA is certainly ruffling feathers. Esp when they are state champs. And even though this is perhaps the strongest wrestling district in PA, this is weakening the rest of the district by taking away their better wrestlers.

Yes, Becahi couldn't use one kid in the post season.

Well, talking of recruiting.  If you don’t think wrestlers living in Hacketstown Nj somehow matriculate to Pburg, you have blinders.  

Private schools may recruit, but NJ wrestlers who choose private schools are really starting to go to ivy league schools.  So that goes along the lines of kids/parents wanting to go there for wrestling and academic reasons.  

if you have a problem with private schools, you SHOULD also complain about RTCs aligned with universities.  Having a RTC stacked with elite training partners draws recruits.  Small RTCs only have one senior level guy.  it is the new landscape of college wrestling and comparable to the resources private schools have over public in HS.

15 hours ago, DuckFor2 said:

Come on!  We (Nj) let you claim Anderson for PA.  Just like NJ gets to claim Aragona.  It is like a draft/trade.  

and on leap years you can claim Ed Ruth as a PA wrestler.