Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

UNC vs NC State

5 hours ago, nom said:

Anyone willing to post results by weight?

NC State 19, North Carolina 14

125: Jakob Camacho (NC State) over Joseph Melendez (North Carolina) (Dec 9-4)

133: Jaime Hernandez (North Carolina) over Jarrett Trombley (NC State) (Dec 1-0)

141: Tariq Wilson (NC State) over Zachary Sherman (North Carolina) (Dec 6-0)

149: Austin O`Connor (North Carolina) over Matt Grippi (NC State) (Dec 6-5)

157: Hayden Hidlay (NC State) over Austin Headlee (North Carolina) (Dec 9-2)

165: Kennedy Monday (North Carolina) over Tyler Barnes (NC State) (TF 21-5 5:19)

174: Daniel Bullard (NC State) over Clay Lautt (North Carolina) (Dec 6-4)

184: Trent Hidlay (NC State) over Joseph Mazzarra (North Carolina) (MD 13-5)

197: Brandon Whitman (North Carolina) over Nick Reenan (NC State) (Dec 7-0)

285: Deonte Wilson (NC State) over Andrew Gunning (North Carolina) (Dec 5-2)

Finally going to post some of my thoughts now that I’m not heated (heels just can’t seem to get past state, that makes 7 in a row *sigh*).

Tariq showed up in a big match last night. I was almost sure Sherman was going to win that match and it would have swung the dual. Sherman continues to have problems getting off bottom. Every single match he’s lost this year has been because he couldn’t escape. 

O’Conner got cramps in the first 10 seconds of the match, like the kind of cramps where your calf hurts so bad you can’t walk. It was all he could do to get through 7 minutes and hang on for dear life to win. UNC was almost a shoe in for bonus points there, but it evened out when NC State couldn’t get bonus at 157. 

As for Reenan, it’s just tough to watch at this point. You can very clearly see he’s far from 100% and he’s just out there trying to make sacrifices for his team. Whitman is a 4 time state champion from Michigan but he’s had some weight issues (coming down to 197 from 220 in high school) so he’s had a hard time reaching his peak in college. UNC doesn’t have much at heavyweight so I’m starting to wonder if you let Whitman redshirt next year and give him a cowboy bulk job to come back at heavyweight in 2 years. His frame would fill out nicely to 260-265 or so. 

All in all what happened last night was great for the continual rise of ACC wrestling. It sucked as a UNC fan not to squeak out a win, but I’m really proud of how far the heels have come over the past few years. Coleman Scott has taken them from 5/6 in the acc every year to top 10 nationally and it’s been an extremely enjoyable ride. 

52 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Whitman is a 4 time state champion from Michigan but he’s had some weight issues (coming down to 197 from 220 in high school) so he’s had a hard time reaching his peak in college. UNC doesn’t have much at heavyweight so I’m starting to wonder if you let Whitman redshirt next year and give him a cowboy bulk job to come back at heavyweight in 2 years. His frame would fill out nicely to 260-265 or so. 

He wrestled 189 for many duals his senior year.  He was only 215 for the states tournament because nobody in the state could touch him and why cut if you don't have to?  If it's a weight problem, it isn't because of high school 220(Michigan does the old weight classes still).

Whitman's problem is much like Taylor Massa's was coming out.  He went from being able to horse anyone with ease, to wrestling a bunch of grown men who have also been able to horse everyone for a very long time who are just plain stronger.

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He wrestled 189 for many duals his senior year.  He was only 215 for the states tournament because nobody in the state could touch him and why cut if you don't have to?  If it's a weight problem, it isn't because of high school 220(Michigan does the old weight classes still).

Whitman's problem is much like Taylor Massa's was coming out.  He went from being able to horse anyone with ease, to wrestling a bunch of grown men who have also been able to horse everyone for a very long time who are just plain stronger.

I’m sure some of it is not being able to horse around grown men. And also he didn’t get a redshirt year. But the biggest problem is a weight issue now that he’s in college. Coleman Scott has said on his podcast many many times that Whitman has a hard time with the cut to 197. They recently moved him in with O’Conner because O’Conner is really good with diet and lifestyle and I think that’s helping Whitman quite a bit. But watching him I still can’t help and wonder if they redshirted him for a year and bulked him up how he would fair. He has the frame and skill set to be a good heavy IMO.

2 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

I’m sure some of it is not being able to horse around grown men. And also he didn’t get a redshirt year. But the biggest problem is a weight issue now that he’s in college. Coleman Scott has said on his podcast many many times that Whitman has a hard time with the cut to 197. They recently moved him in with O’Conner because O’Conner is really good with diet and lifestyle and I think that’s helping Whitman quite a bit. But watching him I still can’t help and wonder if they redshirted him for a year and bulked him up how he would fair. He has the frame and skill set to be a good heavy IMO.

His style fits very well for a Heavy and despite making 195(he didn't actually make 189 for duals-they were out of state duals) he often wrestled 285.  I would love to see him up there.  Within a season and no cut, he could be a solid 240 or so.  He is a mule man.

4 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Just Posted on You Tube!

Thank you. Just watched it. Good dual.

141 - I thought Sherman would be more competitive vs Wilson.

165 - Disappointed to not get Monday vs T. Bullard.

Both Hidlay brothers impressive.

197 - Reenan is obviously not the same wrestler as he was pre-injury.

On 2/8/2020 at 12:28 PM, Gantry said:

Tons of injury issues, he's gutting it out this year but it's clear they've taken their toll. 

If he's still injured, why not give him time to heal and, if he loses the season, apply for a medical redshirt eventually?

The losses can't be good for his confidence, and they certainly aren't helping the team.

20 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Thank you. Just watched it. Good dual.

141 - I thought Sherman would be more competitive vs Wilson.

165 - Disappointed to not get Monday vs T. Bullard.

Both Hidlay brothers impressive.

197 - Reenan is obviously not the same wrestler as he was pre-injury.

I too thought Sherman would wrestle more competitively, but as a big TW fan, his absent leg attacks remain concerning.

If he wants to contend for a podium spot, he's going to have to score on his feet, and re-attacking on one leg just isn't high percentage.

21 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Just watched some of this.

I was surprised at the end of 133 they didn’t give loss of control and 1 to Trombley which would’ve sent it to SV

How can you give loss of control when he still had a leg? I thought it was a great hold by the official and they reviewed it. Tough call in a tough environment, but most definitely the right call.