Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

Gatsalov representing Armenia - trying to qualify for Tokyo Olympics

Gatsalov (97kg) - Russian multiple time world champion and European champ - got Armenia citizenship (I know this point was discussed earlier in this forum) and is now trying to qualify for Tokyo olympics.

here is the translation of the article from wrestdag.ru

The 37-year-old freestyle wrestler from North Ossetia, who won the 2004 Olympics, five world championships and three European championships, will become the oldest and most titled Russian legionnaire. He was introduced to the press by the president of the Armenian Wrestling Federation Robert Khachatrian. He handed the legionnaire a personalized tights of the national team.

Khachatryan thanked the government of the country, which agreed to issue Gatsalov an Armenian passport. He also said that he didn’t have to give anyone money for the transfer of the Russian light heavyweight, except for the mandatory payments stipulated by the regulation: 5,000 Swiss francs to the United Wrestling World (UWW) and the same amount to the Russian Wrestling Federation (FSBR). The legionnaire himself did not put forward any financial conditions.

Gatsalov himself spoke about the details of the transition. “In the category of up to 97 kg, my fellow countryman Georgy Ketoev played for Armenia, but he had problems with weight and ended his career,” the wrestler told Sport.news.am. - On the contrary, I wanted to return to the carpet and was looking for a suitable country that I could represent at international competitions. The process of my transition ended on February 6 with the issue of an Armenian passport to me, and it began in October last year. Then I had the first conversation on this subject with the Secretary General of the local wrestling federation Araik Baghdadyan, whom I and my personal trainer have long known. ”

Khadzhimurat Gatsalov has not participated in competitions since 2016, but, according to him, all this time he maintained a sports form.

“I am strongly motivated to win an Olympic license and compete for a medal at the Games in Tokyo,” Sport.news.am quotes the legionnaire. - I have already begun to purposefully prepare for the upcoming competitions. I will have to miss the European Championship, and my first start after a long break will be the tournament in Kharkov, which will take place in two weeks. After that I plan to perform on March 19-22 in Budapest at the Olympic licensed tournament. ”