Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Really enjoyed the Spencer Lee Hodge Era

5 minutes ago, lost said:

What am I missing?  He beat one guy 8-1 so he's out of contention now??  It's not like he lost

Many fans believe that Lee's lower count of matches and overall weaker strength of schedule put him behind Zahid for the Hodge.  The overall consensus was that Lee's best chance at winning the Hodge was keeping a perfect bonus rate at least through the big tens. With that snapped, it seems Zahid is firmly in the lead.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

Many fans believe that Lee's lower count of matches and overall weaker strength of schedule put him behind Zahid for the Hodge.  The overall consensus was that Lee's best chance at winning the Hodge was keeping a perfect bonus rate at least through the big tens. With that snapped, it seems Zahid is firmly in the lead.

Thanks Mr. Poopy Butthole

4 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

How many non-bonus wins does Zahid have? He had a 1 point match with Venz that I remember.

That's it thus far. All bonus since then with a fair share of TF's and falls. Hard to see Lee pull this one out unless Zahid stumbles at NCAAs or at least has a few tight ones between now and then.

23 minutes ago, wrestlingphish said:

How many non-bonus wins does Zahid have? He had a 1 point match with Venz that I remember.

Yes - I was just thinking about this too.  Zahid was losing a large portion of the match and almost lost in the end.  Lee has debatedly been more dominate, even with less pins.

Capture-min.PNG.3075c7205f2179767acbe2bf1e6c9eed.PNG

Edited by jross

Zahid has a much easier path to bonus the rest of the season including the NCAA- His highest ranked opponent from now until probably the quarters of the NCAA is Weiler at #16. Lee still has McKee, Picc and Big10 . Of course one Rivera could play a part as well.  Zahid looks to be in the drivers seat.  

2 hours ago, Mr. Poopy butthole said:

He wrestles in the best conference in the world....

1 hour ago, Mphillips said:

He wrestles in the best conference in the world....

That's true for the conference as a whole but is not always true for every weight. Take 184 for example. The top 5 ranked wrestlers at that weight currently reside outside of the Big Ten. There are some tough 125'ers in the Big, true, but when you have Picc, Glory, and Mueller wrestling elsewhere it's tough to call 125 in the Big Ten a tough weight.

40 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

when is the second half of season 4 gonna start?

Ooooooo weeee! I'm so happy to see another fan of the show on here!

Regrettably, I'm not privileged to that information. The last time I asked Dan Harmon about it at the strip club we both frequent, he said something cryptic about Easter. So that's the only lead I've got. Maybe another April 1st release?

20 hours ago, HokieHWT said:

Zahid wins it.

Didn't catch the match last night, so first of all, let me thank you for subjecting me to having to listen to the expert Tim Johnson on youtube open the broadcast saying that "Spencer Lee...never has been beaten in the Big Ten."  (Later in the 3rd period it sounded like he tried to walk it back by mumbling something about duals, as if for a guy like Spencer Lee, being undefeated in 2.5 years of Big Ten dual meets, many of which he skipped, was even remotely an accomplishment, particularly in light of the fact that this extraordinarily dominant wrestler is still without a Big Ten title.)

I don't see yesterday's match as meaning very much in the Hodge race.  It's  the first match he hasn't bonused, the second that's gone the distance.  And he won 8-1 and never came close to giving up an offensive point. 

In contrast, Valencia had the slimmest of victory margins vs Nebraska in a match he was very fortunate to end with his hand raised.  Furthermore, since we're talking about a dominant wrestler award, I'll continue to hold against him his failure to get the TF and the needed team point against Ohio State in a match that he could have won by 25+ points without the TF rule.

The Hodge will be decided based on the matches to come, not Lee's 8-1 win over Medley.  And who knows, maybe Nick Lee could sneak in there.  [EDIT:  I hadn't even seen Nick Lee's first period pin of McKee today when I wrote this.  Man, he has raised it up a level (two?) this year!  Can't wait for the Pletcher dual.]

Also want to say that Medley is one of the scrappiest gamers I've seen all year.  See his win vs DeAugustino to win the dual meet vs Northwestern as a great example.  He's exactly the kind of guy to not do what a lot of people due vs Lee -- surrender the TF in their mind before the match starts.  So I don't see an 8-1 win over him as some kind of Hodge demerit.

I was more interested in watching Lee and the gas tank issues.  He wasn't nearly as toast at the end as he often was his first two years during the dual season, but he still looked pretty tired.  Hasn't caught up to him at all in March his first two years, and, again, he looks in better shape than those two years when he won, but if someone can be within 2-3 points of him going into the third, maybe they'd have a shot.  To me Rivera is probably the only one who fits that bill, so for a lot of reasons, Rivera's ultimate weight class choice (assuming he's healthy enough to wrestle when we get to Big Tens) is one of the more interesting subplots of the season.

Edited by drag it

5 hours ago, drag it said:

Didn't catch the match last night, so first of all, let me thank you for subjecting me to having to listen to the expert Tim Johnson on youtube open the broadcast saying that "Spencer Lee...never has been beaten in the Big Ten."  (Later in the 3rd period it sounded like he tried to walk it back by mumbling something about duals, as if for a guy like Spencer Lee, being undefeated in 2.5 years of Big Ten dual meets, many of which he skipped, was even remotely an accomplishment, particularly in light of the fact that this extraordinarily dominant wrestler is still without a Big Ten title.)

I don't see yesterday's match as meaning very much in the Hodge race.  It's  the first match he hasn't bonused, the second that's gone the distance.  And he won 8-1 and never came close to giving up an offensive point. 

In contrast, Valencia had the slimmest of victory margins vs Nebraska in a match he was very fortunate to end with his hand raised.  Furthermore, since we're talking about a dominant wrestler award, I'll continue to hold against him his failure to get the TF and the needed team point against Ohio State in a match that he could have won by 25+ points without the TF rule.

The Hodge will be decided based on the matches to come, not Lee's 8-1 win over Medley.  And who knows, maybe Nick Lee could sneak in there.  [EDIT:  I hadn't even seen Nick Lee's first period pin of McKee today when I wrote this.  Man, he has raised it up a level (two?) this year!  Can't wait for the Pletcher dual.]

Also want to say that Medley is one of the scrappiest gamers I've seen all year.  See his win vs DeAugustino to win the dual meet vs Northwestern as a great example.  He's exactly the kind of guy to not do what a lot of people due vs Lee -- surrender the TF in their mind before the match starts.  So I don't see an 8-1 win over him as some kind of Hodge demerit.

I was more interested in watching Lee and the gas tank issues.  He wasn't nearly as toast at the end as he often was his first two years during the dual season, but he still looked pretty tired.  Hasn't caught up to him at all in March his first two years, and, again, he looks in better shape than those two years when he won, but if someone can be within 2-3 points of him going into the third, maybe they'd have a shot.  To me Rivera is probably the only one who fits that bill, so for a lot of reasons, Rivera's ultimate weight class choice (assuming he's healthy enough to wrestle when we get to Big Tens) is one of the more interesting subplots of the season.

Considering Rivera hasn't, to the best of my knowledge, actually made 125 yet this year, is that still a option?

5 hours ago, FriendlyCamper said:

Zahid wins 14-10 over Wisman. Believe Wisman took him down 3 times. Does anything change? 

2 td's, 1 reversal, 4 escapes.  Wisman took him down and rode him for over a minute in the 1st period.  Was 13-10 when Wisman cut him in the 3rd.  Zahid gassed bad in the 3rd, spending most of the time hanging onto ankles.  Looked nothing like a Hodge winner in that match vs an unranked opponent.

7 hours ago, stp said:

Rumor has it, Lee caught the buschlightvirus.  It's all around the Midwest.

His mom is French so I’m pretty sure he genetically cannot catch Buschlightvirus, however he is very susceptible to Franzia Syndrome (and mono)

11 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

His mom is French so I’m pretty sure he genetically cannot catch Buschlightvirus, however he is very susceptible to Franzia Syndrome (and mono)

Makes sense.  Boxed wine is a big seller to the wives in Iowa City.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, KCMO2 said:

Looked nothing like a Hodge winner in that match vs an unranked opponent.

My exact thoughts while watching Zahid gas and hold on to a 14-10 win.

Going into last weekend, I favored Zahid to win the Hodge.  After the weekend, I now favor Spencer (despite his 8-1 win).