gowrestle

Wrestling Problems

I was watching the Penn State/Minnesota basketball game yesterday. There were thousands of students. Many had their faces painted white and cheered the entire game. The atmosphere was electric!  I’ve been to PSU wrestling matches. Rec Hall is filled with mostly gray haired folks and maybe 200 students attend. The students sit on the floor and act like well behaved grandchildren visiting their grandparents. I enjoy watching simply because I am a wrestling guy and I appreciate the skill and athleticism of the combatants. I took a friend who attended his first ever wrestling match and he was surprised by the serene atmosphere.

Ive been to high school matches where the environment is electric and the fans are involved during the entire time. 

To the non-wrestling person the entertainment value of a college wrestling match is minimal. What can be done to change the atmosphere?

2 final thoughts:

1. The brick is killing the sport. Besides, I’ve only seen 1 time where a decision was reversed. (A point for clasping hands was taken away.)

2. Something needs to be done to the situation when a wrestler intentionally goes into a stalemate to avoid being scored upon. 

Thanks for reading. Comments will be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Plenty of brick throws overturn calls

I’ve only seen 1 but it would be great if there was available data. I actually heard 1 coach say he knew it was a “long shot” but he wanted to give his wrestler a rest. 

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

I was watching the Penn State/Minnesota basketball game yesterday. There were thousands of students. Many had their faces painted white and cheered the entire game. The atmosphere was electric!  I’ve been to PSU wrestling matches. Rec Hall is filled with mostly gray haired folks and maybe 200 students attend. The students sit on the floor and act like well behaved grandchildren visiting their grandparents. I enjoy watching simply because I am a wrestling guy and I appreciate the skill and athleticism of the combatants. I took a friend who attended his first ever wrestling match and he was surprised by the serene atmosphere.

Ive been to high school matches where the environment is electric and the fans are involved during the entire time. 

To the non-wrestling person the entertainment value of a college wrestling match is minimal. What can be done to change the atmosphere?

2 final thoughts:

1. The brick is killing the sport. Besides, I’ve only seen 1 time where a decision was reversed. (A point for clasping hands was taken away.)

2. Something needs to be done to the situation when a wrestler intentionally goes into a stalemate to avoid being scored upon. 

I think part of the problem is Cael wanting most of the matches to happen in the much smaller Rec hall. Limited tickets go to the older less rowdy alumni. I’d like to see the Bryce Jordan center get more matches.

5 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I think part of the problem is Cael wanting most of the matches to happen in the much smaller Rec hall. Limited tickets go to the older less rowdy alumni. I’d like to see the Bryce Jordan center get more matches.

True but it is not only Rec Hall. I didn’t hear the same level of rancor coming from Carver Hawkeye arena during the Iowa/PSU match that usually exists at basketball games. 

1 hour ago, gowrestle said:

Like what?  I don't see this as a problem.  Some stalemates are called after 5 seconds of inactivity.  Overall the matches I've seen this year are filled with action and the refs seem to have figured out how to call stalling in a consistent manner.  I think college wrestling has come a long way in the past 2 years toward becoming fan friendly, the action is great.

46 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

True but it is not only Rec Hall. I didn’t hear the same level of rancor coming from Carver Hawkeye arena during the Iowa/PSU match that usually exists at basketball games. 

Huh? CHA was absolutely electric for the Iowa/PSU dual. The explosion that happened when Kemerer got his final takedown on Hall was like nothing I have ever experienced. And it went on longer than I thought possible. the noise was disorienting. 

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Huh? CHA was absolutely electric for the Iowa/PSU dual. The explosion that happened when Kemerer got his final takedown on Hall was like nothing I have ever experienced. And it went on longer than I thought possible. the noise was disorienting. 

I heard that from some that were there. The excitement did not come through via watching the match on the B1G Network. 

Almost all of the PSU home matches are a little louder than church. I was watching  a match via Flo at the new Ohio State facility and things appeared tranquil. 

I just wish home duals had the same level of fan involvement that basketball & football games do.  

Just watched most of Iowa/Michigan which made me think of this thread.

1. In Wilcke/Embree, they overturned an escape for Wilcke - not sure if it was actually a challenge though or just an official’s review.

2.  Not that the environment was crazy or anything but there did seem to be a fair amount of students there.  At the end of Wilcke/Embree I’m pretty sure they showed a bunch of fans wearing singlets?

3 minutes ago, gowrestle said:

I heard that from some that were there. The excitement did not come through via watching the match on the B1G Network. 

Almost all of the PSU home matches are a little louder than church. I was watching  a match via Flo at the new Ohio State facility and things appeared tranquil. 

I just wish home duals had the same level of fan involvement that basketball & football games do.  

Sounds like you're party of the problem get off the couch, go to the duals and get loud.

1 hour ago, MedicineMan said:

Like what?  I don't see this as a problem.  Some stalemates are called after 5 seconds of inactivity.  Overall the matches I've seen this year are filled with action and the refs seem to have figured out how to call stalling in a consistent manner.  I think college wrestling has come a long way in the past 2 years toward becoming fan friendly, the action is great.

I agree that things have improved. Unfortunately to a non-wrestling person, college wrestling seems mundane. Wrestlers are coached on how to create a stalemate as a defensive move. 

The rule changes have been good and the officiating has been excellent. I don’t have a a solution but I definitely think the “intended stalemate” needs to be addressed. 

to have excitement you need something to happen that is unexpected.

when  the favored guy wins everytime...

happened in nebraska... everyone griped about the new place...it was boring etc...

i always said... as soon as someone beats skutt the place will be rocking...

49 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Sounds like you're party of the problem get off the couch, go to the duals and get loud.

Excellent suggestion. I attend all PSU home matches and have been to the Nationals 15 years running. But now I am one of the gray haired fellows that puts in earplugs when the music plays loudly when a wrestler runs onto the mat. At times I raise 2 fingers and calmly say, “that’s 2oooooooooo”...... I’ll try and do better. 

Edited by gowrestle

Interesting observations. I am not sure comparing wrestling to football or basketball is fair. What about comparisons to collegiate track, soccer, volleyball, etc? Football and basketball are unique creatures with unique standing in our broader social culture; kids grow up dreaming of being professionals in those sports; (almost) everyone participates in pickup games in those sports as kids - the familiarity with those sports is in the stratosphere. Not so with wrestling, et. al. Completely different level of familiarity.

I think wrestling could learn a lot from the marketing of the Olympics. Every four years people actually seem to care about swimming (swimming??), cross country skiing, etc. Why? Because of marketing; the marketing machine behind the Olympics elevates the names of the competing individuals to celebrity status. By the time Lindsey Vonn takes to the slopes we know who she is dating, who she dated, etc. Doesn't matter that we don't understand the nuances of the sport - we watch because we "know" Lindsey.

And therein lies the secret to marketing sports - its not the sport itself but rather, fan familiarity with the competitors. It's not even the teams so much as it is the individual. Wage war at that level and wrestling would do a whole lot better.

14 minutes ago, npope said:

Interesting observations. I am not sure comparing wrestling to football or basketball is fair. What about comparisons to collegiate track, soccer, volleyball, etc? Football and basketball are unique creatures with unique standing in our broader social culture; kids grow up dreaming of being professionals in those sports; (almost) everyone participates in pickup games in those sports as kids - the familiarity with those sports is in the stratosphere. Not so with wrestling, et. al. Completely different level of familiarity.

I think wrestling could learn a lot from the marketing of the Olympics. Every four years people actually seem to care about swimming (swimming??), cross country skiing, etc. Why? Because of marketing; the marketing machine behind the Olympics elevates the names of the competing individuals to celebrity status. By the time Lindsey Vonn takes to the slopes we know who she is dating, who she dated, etc. Doesn't matter that we don't understand the nuances of the sport - we watch because we "know" Lindsey.

And therein lies the secret to marketing sports - its not the sport itself but rather, fan familiarity with the competitors. It's not even the teams so much as it is the individual. Wage war at that level and wrestling would do a whole lot better.

Careful now. I was a competitive swimmer many moons and many pounds ago. But I will admit that I cleared out the family room when I found the live feed of the 1500m heats at the last Olympics.  Not even my parents would stick around for that once I got my driver's license. 

Re: challenge brick 

Someone posted review stats for one of the D1 conferences here before, maybe the ACC or EIWA, and it showed that around 75-80% of the time referee calls are upheld. That more or less matches the year by year stats Flo posted. While sometimes necessary, video reviews are just turning into a new type of lung timeout or strategy session break. 

I assume that the review standard for wrestling is like other sports: clear, overwhelming and virtually incontrovertible evidence on the official video camera that the call was incorrect and needs to be reversed. This is why the reviews take so damn long - officials are playing, rewinding, slowing down, replaying the footage repeatedly to get the call right. In this day and age, I’m actually surprised that there’s no machine learning AI type software that could instantly review the action and make a call within a certain level of confidence.

We’ll see if the stalling penalty has any effect on the # of challenge bricks thrown but in general the review process sucks and needs to be sped up.

The UNC vs NC State dual meet set an attendance record at Carmichael. There were over 4500 people there. The best part is that a lot of the crowd was composed of middle and high school wrestling teams. There was a clinic offered by NC State beforehand for younger wrestlers. A bunch of kids I coach were able to go and said it was awesome. 

Wrestling is moving in the right direction. Having almost 5000 people at a dual in North Carolina is no easy feat. 

having good teams helps.

PSU have the crowd it has now anytime before 2005?

Did Iowa before 1980?

NC NCST, haven't really ever been that great.

Nebraska gets good crowds when we host a highly ranked team. sometimes others as well, but not the same