gowrestle

Wrestling Problems

3 minutes ago, GockeS said:

NC NCST, haven't really ever been that great.

In the early 1990s UNC was a consistent top 10 team in the NCAA tourney, led by TJ Jaworsky. The 1994 NCAA championships were hosted in chapel hill. UNC was never a threat to win a national championship, but they’ve fielded very respectable teams in the past with guys like Jaworsky, Rob Koll, CD Mock, etc. 

Excerpt from AWN Reders' Challenge - Rules "article:

The brick?   Now we’re trying to emulate football, basketball, and baseball to microscopically determine a call with video review?  It’s wrestling.  Things happen fast and creating rules where control is fleeting will encourage more “bricks.”  This disrupts the flow, the momentum, and even the outcome of the match.  Part of the requirement of wrestling is developing stamina and timeouts hurt the guys with the best conditioning. Rules that allow the match to flow seamlessly with minimal interruptions is a keynote of the game. Rules should reduce or even eliminate questionable calls, not encourage them. As an example, the hand touch is not indicative of command, mastery, and dominance. Those three components were obvious for scoring when the rule was “supporting points” had to be down on the mat. There were fewer interruptions to the match.  

There is some argument that stalemate calls should be stalling calls.  From my perspective, if one cannot successfully break away or the offensive man is in danger of being scored upon by a great counter, a smart wrestler then creates a situation where neither man can score.  And what’s wrong with that?  Should he just relinquish the points? We want to penalize someone for protecting himself? Why should anyone be punished for being smart and savvy? A stalemate isn’t bad; it’s smart wrestling to be creative and save oneself

4 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

I think part of the problem is Cael wanting most of the matches to happen in the much smaller Rec hall. Limited tickets go to the older less rowdy alumni. I’d like to see the Bryce Jordan center get more matches.

"Ive been to high school matches where the environment is electric and the fans are involved during the entire time. 

To the non-wrestling person the entertainment value of a college wrestling match is minimal. What can be done to change the atmosphere?"

The key is to promote the sport better. Ask any MMA fighter and they will you tell a skilled wrestler is more difficult to defeat than those excelling in others areas of mixed martial arts. The UFC is the most dominant fight game in the world and they make millions off the backs of these fighters - which includes many former successful collegiate wrestlers. It's time the UFC does more (maybe invest in promotion via TV, social media, etc). They could also team up with the Dan Gables and other wrestling icons of the world to bring more attention to our sport. Quite frankly they should have stepped up when schools starting eliminating wrestling to the "I want to be like Mike" Title 9'ers years ago. There's more than can and should be done to create a greater fan base. If Iowa can do it so can other schools. Like anything else in life, promotion is the key to creating awareness, whether it be a new / existing product or service to elevate the great sport of wrestling to even higher levels.

Edited by Marcus Cisero

I am really surprised to hear so many disagree with the OP.  The challenge brick is horrible.  It kills match flow.  Since duals don't matter anyway, why not reserve the brick for Nationals where it can be argued the stakes are high enough to warrant the brick?  I guess some fans like the brick apparently but I am definitely with the OP on this one.  Nothing worse than a hard fought match with lots of action being stopped so the wrestlers can stand there while the coaches and refs run around in circles for a few minutes working it out.  

24 minutes ago, potentiallydangerous said:

During freshman orientation week, universities should require students to learn the rules and strategy of folkstyle wrestling.

Actually, I have talked to women., who when they were students at Cedar Cliff HS, in the 1960s and 70, Had a session of Gymn class where legendary wrestling coach would bring in a couple of his wrestlers,  and have them demonstrate wrestling while he explained what was going on and what were the basic rules. of course, in those days girls actually wrestling was zero. 

Just now, ironmonkey said:

I am really surprised to hear so many disagree with the OP.  The challenge brick is horrible.  It kills match flow.  Since duals don't matter anyway, why not reserve the brick for Nationals where it can be argued the stakes are high enough to warrant the brick?  I guess some fans like the brick apparently but I am definitely with the OP on this one.  Nothing worse than a hard fought match with lots of action being stopped so the wrestlers can stand there while the coaches and refs run around in circles for a few minutes working it out.  

flush the brick down the toilet

50 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

"Ive been to high school matches where the environment is electric and the fans are involved during the entire time. 

To the non-wrestling person the entertainment value of a college wrestling match is minimal. What can be done to change the atmosphere?"

The key is to promote the sport better. Ask any MMA fighter and they will you tell a skilled wrestler is more difficult to defeat than those excelling in others areas of mixed martial arts. The UFC is the most dominant fight game in the world and they make millions off the backs of these fighters - which includes many former successful collegiate wrestlers. It's time the UFC does more (maybe invest in promotion via TV, social media, etc). They could also team up with the Dan Gables and other wrestling icons of the world to bring more attention to our sport. Quite frankly they should have stepped up when schools starting eliminating wrestling to the "I want to be like Mike" Title 9'ers years ago. There's more than can and should be done to create a greater fan base. If Iowa can do it so can other schools. Like anything else in life, promotion is the key to creating awareness, whether it be a new / existing product or service to elevate the great sport of wrestling to even higher levels.

While there is room for wrestling to grow, I’m afraid it will never be a main stream sport. Similar to  jujitsu, the one aspect isn’t appealing to the masses however MMA though is really popular bringing many aspects together.  

9 minutes ago, ironmonkey said:

The brick itself isn’t bad but it can use some twesking.   1) there should be a time limit.  If they can’t determine the correct call in a minute or whatever, original call stands.   2) at NCAA’s there should probably be a third party doing the reviews.  I think the refs want to get it right but naturally they’re going to want to believe what they thought they saw originally..

16 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

While there is room for wrestling to grow, I’m afraid it will never be a main stream sport. Similar to  jujitsu, the one aspect isn’t appealing to the masses however MMA though is really popular bringing many aspects together.  

It won't be main stream sport because the lousy sports media focuses more on the National Felon League and alike rather than a more respectful family-oriented sport like wrestling. Perhaps we should spend less time **itching to one another in these forums and more time using the keyboard to write to the authorities who run the sports business. 

3 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

It won't be main stream sport because the lousy sports media focuses more on the National Felon League and alike rather than a more respectful family-oriented sport like wrestling. Perhaps we should spend less time **itching to one another in these forums and more time using the keyboard to write to the authorities who run the sports business. 

Repsectful and family oriented; what every young person is looking for! This coming from the guy that thinks our female wrestlers belong in the kitchen.

7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Repsectful and family oriented; what every young person is looking for! This coming from the guy that thinks our female wrestlers belong in the kitchen.

in the kitchen?  lol, I'm a better cook and in the kitchen more than my wife! what a dbag

6 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

in the kitchen?  lol, I'm a better cook and in the kitchen more than my wife! what a dbag

Excuse me, maybe that wasnt exactly what you said. Was it that you called our women wrestlers men? It was something like that. Feel free to refresh us all.

My point is that some of us are very out of touch with the youth. 

Edited by russelscout

34 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Excuse me, maybe that wasnt exactly what you said. Was it that you called our women wrestlers men? It was something like that. Feel free to refresh us all.

My point is that some of us are very out of touch with the youth. 

“Us all” - led by you, is the reason why this forum lacks the participation levels other wrestling forums enjoy. 1000’s of views on a topic(s) yet only a mere 1-3% chime in to give their 2 cents (replies). Why do you suppose that is? Its argumentative lefty clowns like you that's why. You come down hard on those who do not agree with you and you do it in a really nasty condescending way. Newcomers not only see this but mention it elsewhere. I did not say the things you’re claiming, however, I’m not afraid to admit I’m not a fan of the negative impact title 9 has had on wrestling over the years. You and the rest of your tribe don’t like it and want to impede on my right to express my opinion, then go ahead snowflake– close my account. I dare you.

17 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

“Us all” - led by you, is the reason why this forum lacks the participation levels other wrestling forums enjoy. 1000’s of views on a topic(s) yet only a mere 1-3% chime in to give their 2 cents (replies). Why do you suppose that is? Its argumentative lefty clowns like you that's why. You come down hard on those who do not agree with you and you do it in a really nasty condescending way. Newcomers not only see this but mention it elsewhere. I did not say the things you’re claiming, however, I’m not afraid to admit I’m not a fan of the negative impact title 9 has had on wrestling over the years. You and the rest of your tribe don’t like it and want to impede on my right to express my opinion, then go ahead snowflake– close my account. I dare you.

You know when you used to go pick out a movie on a Friday night and you ask the college kid working there if he has seen the movies you were thinking of renting. After all, you are just trying to figure out which one you should get and don’t mind wasting a little time talking about movies. But instead of answering your question, he goes off telling you how little you know about movies, that everything you picked is garbage, and that you are what’s wrong with film audiences. He instead points you to some indie flick about a giant talking whale in Korean. Russelscout is that guy.

25 minutes ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Im the snowflake. Yet 90% of are discussions turn into you crying about how mean everyone is. Boo hoo :'(

Maybe the reason I come down on you, and you end up crying about it isnt because Im mean. Maybe its because your opinion on some of these issues is flawed. You cant even handle one single rebuttal. 

Its really weird that I am supposedly the one responsible for participation on this board, that I am just too mean, but we all need to be ok with you making it a political issue, name calling, and at your worst ripping on the womens team. Theres some serious cognitive dissonance going on in your mind. You should take some time to investigate that.

11 minutes ago, Force118 said:

You know when you used to go pick out a movie on a Friday night and you ask the college kid working there if he has seen the movies you were thinking of renting. After all, you are just trying to figure out which one you should get and don’t mind wasting a little time talking about movies. But instead of answering your question, he goes off telling you how little you know about movies, that everything you picked is garbage, and that you are what’s wrong with film audiences. He instead points you to some indie flick about a giant talking whale in Korean. Russelscout is that guy.

I dont even know what you mean. Blockbuster was already dead when I got to college.

Maybe you can tell me what I do that makes me "that guy"

Edited by russelscout

12 minutes ago, Force118 said:

sorry, but that's funny!

4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I am curious, what makes me that guy? 

I think it means you have the best opinion, everyone else is too ignorant to understand what you're saying  and you will argue to the death about the most insignificant details?

That's what I think anyway? I haven't given it much thought to be fair...

8 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I think it means you have the best opinion, everyone else is too ignorant to understand what you're saying  and you will argue to the death about the most insignificant details?

That's what I think anyway? I haven't given it much thought to be fair...

I guess that's pretty true. However, I don't think I have the best opinion. I just like to argue for it, which a forum seems like a good place for that. I also don't think everyone is too ignorant to understand what I am saying. I think what I say at times, makes people uncomfortable. Especially someone like Marcus who can't handle being called out as a sexist while he makes openly sexist statements. Its a lot easier for him if people just let it fly and consider everything a legitimate opinion no matter how ugly some may be.

Edited by russelscout