Mokoma

Penn State VS Minnesota 2 pm 2/9/20

3 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Lee is a total stud, but McKee didn't wrestle a very smart match.  Head pinches in folkstyle?  Falling for the PSU/Nolf fake release to a cradle?   Does McKee usually score off that head pinch?  Maybe I have it pegged wrong, but that's a freestyle move for exposure which is worth exactly zero in folk. 

The only thing I can imagine he’s looking for is to catch an arm for a gator roll to a pin.... but that’s not going to work against any opponent that’s even halfway decent at this level. Nick Lee defended it nicely. McKee wrestles sort of like Demas. He goes for the homerun moves. Moran wrestled him really well this year as well. 

2 hours ago, MedicineMan said:

Mark Hall one second from getting pinned at end of match!!!

Maybe if Devin Skatzka had his underhook wrapped around Hall's far side armpit rather than his waist, Hall could not have limped arm out of the cow catcher.

I've only watched a handful of his matches and he went for it more times than not.  I assume it is a goto move for him based on my limited observation.  Someone may know more but let me see if I can find videos for some of his pins.

Edited by jross

2 hours ago, Marcus Cisero said:

Steveson had his way with Nevills and Parris will have his way with Steveson.

Does GS care either way?  Am I mistaking his calm confidence for apathy or does he really not care what happens out there?  He seems to be taking for granted his talent...am I wrong?

McKee is brutal!  Recent pinning moves...

• Simpson, Cory | Cliff Keen Invitational | hammer lock into half nelson
  • Kelber, Jordan | Daktronics Open, 1st Pd. cowcatcher td, headpinch td 2nd Pd. headpinch pin
  • Stuhl, Sam | Daktronics Open | headpinch takedown, butcher/barbwire to headlock
  • Edwards, Herbert | headpinch

I couldn't watch these.

• Baughman, Noah | Minnesota - Cornell Dual | TRACKWRESTLING paywall
  • Mills, Ty | Duke - Minnesota Dual | TRACKWRESTLING paywall
  • Carlson, Clay | Bison Open | TRACKWRESTLING paywall
  • Degen, Sawyer | Bison Open | TRACKWRESTLING paywall

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

Lee is a total stud, but McKee didn't wrestle a very smart match.  Head pinches in folkstyle?  Falling for the PSU/Nolf fake release to a cradle?   Does McKee usually score off that head pinch?  Maybe I have it pegged wrong, but that's a freestyle move for exposure which is worth exactly zero in folk. 

Yes, that is what's given him almost all of his freestyle success and he has adapted it go folkstyle successfully.  He hits it all the time on guys and often ends up in an Assassin type position for backs

1 hour ago, GockeS said:

mckee almost got danger points 

3 seconds to get 2?

he had him for 2 seconds at least.

Doesn't the ref first have to see the position, then call danger warning, then start the count?   It isn't normally instant from the moment they are in danger.

Edited by Gantry

2 hours ago, powershouse said:

It won’t work against top level guys though.

Amen. He tried it on Nick Lee twice and he got pinned twice. He tried the same move in the 5th place match last year at NCAAs. The only difference is that last year Lee pinned him directly from the escape whereas today he did it off the Nolf/Nickal "I dare you to try and get up" move. 

3 hours ago, Chrissn2001 said:

Does GS care either way?  Am I mistaking his calm confidence for apathy or does he really not care what happens out there?  He seems to be taking for granted his talent...am I wrong?

Maybe just his personality and natural body language? Idk. People used to say Ed Ruth looked like he didn’t care but he said that’s just the way he is.

16 hours ago, Chrissn2001 said:

Yes, you are wrong, if you are mistaking the calm confidence for apathy....of course he cares, but the demeanor is part of his power, keeps him loose and therefore reacting quicker....plus it's a ploy that says to his opponent, "I don't consider you any kind of threat."  It's a dominating body language.  Vincenzo Joseph has the same type of poise, but a little more playful.

Edited by MedicineMan

5 minutes ago, Perry said:

One of my high schoolers refuses to do much but this move. To say I am somewhat surprised at the success he has seen would be an understatement. 

My guys that made it work were always the, 'long' ones.

Edited by Mphillips

On 2/10/2020 at 10:24 AM, MedicineMan said:

Yes, you are wrong, if you are mistaking the calm confidence for apathy....of course he cares, but the demeanor is part of his power, keeps him loose and therefore reacting quicker....plus it's a ploy that says to his opponent, "I don't consider you any kind of threat."  It's a dominating body language.  Vincenzo Joseph has the same type of poise, but a little more playful.

Not sure about VJ, I've seen him rattled.  His hands start to flutter when he can't get to his shot.  I don't care either way.  I'm also apathetic, but I still don't think GS cares to outwork his talent.