nhs67

Parris-Cass Video

2 hours ago, Underhook said:

I’ve officially boarded the Parris hype train. Gable is going to have his hands full with him 

Agree.  Watching both their matches on line this weekend, I view Parris as the favorite.  

Steveson is a beautiful wrestler, and I won't be surprised if he wins the Olympic Trials.

But I feel like there has been something missing in his college wrestling, it's almost like there's a disconnect between him and his coaches.  Poor focus and/or strategic choices in both Cassar matches last year.  In today's match, it took him a good ten seconds after the coaches shouted at him and continued to direct him to release Nevills before he chose to do so.  He even made eye contact with them and then looked like he was thinking about it for a few seconds.  I don't know why he was resistant; could have been fatigue, could have been feelings for Nevills and not wanting to run up the score (their interactions before and after were very familiar and respectful), could have been something else.

Parris shows no such ambivalence when he wrestles.  He is one hard-nosed guy, he just kept pouring it on today like a machine against a really tough opponent.  Steveson will need to show a different level of  commitment to beat him.

29 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Last season many were critical of Steveson’s animated victories, his cockiness. So he takes it down a notch and now he’s complacent, disinterested.

I think he’s probably thinking about a lot of things including Olympic trials, avoiding injury vs these big boys like Nevills.

Disagree all around with this one.

With respect to my post above, which was the only one criticizing Steveson in this thread, I tied my questioning of how he handled the end of today's match with what I saw as a lack of focus in his two big matches from last year.  So I criticized him for inconsistent engagement in both years and wondered if that was indicative of a general ambivalence about college.  

I said nothing about bad conduct in either year, but since you've raised it, his actions in this season's South Dakota State match belie the idea that he's taken it down a notch; his behavior in that match was far more animated, cocky, and problematic than anything I remember last year.

And if he's distracted about a lot of things, good luck avoiding injury when a big boy with an attitude and the game to back it up like Parris comes after him.  

That was an ass-kicking.  I wasn't able to watch it since I was taking the wife to the *high fallutin' voice* theater.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see there are adjustments Cass could make where he could turn the result around based on the descriptions I read of the match, but man, Parris is a substantial favorite, and I have to wonder if he can go with Gable now.  That said, there's a clear delineation in the HWT hierarchy.

I'm saying:

1. Gable

2. A very close Parris

3. Decent gap to Cass.

When is the last time the top 3 at the big boy weight were all in their second year of college?  Usually that's a man's weight.

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

That was an ass-kicking.  I wasn't able to watch it since I was taking the wife to the *high fallutin' voice* theater.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see there are adjustments Cass could make where he could turn the result around based on the descriptions I read of the match, but man, Parris is a substantial favorite, and I have to wonder if he can go with Gable now.  That said, there's a clear delineation in the HWT hierarchy.

I'm saying:

1. Gable

2. A very close Parris

3. Decent gap to Cass.

When is the last time the top 3 at the big boy weight were all in their second year of college?  Usually that's a man's weight.

Clearly you weren't able to watch it... Parris isn't suddenly a world beater. Cass wasn't close to wrestling his best. I'll take Cass the next time they go. 

Just now, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Clearly you weren't able to watch it... Parris isn't suddenly a world beater. Cass wasn't close to wrestling his best. I'll take Cass the next time they go. 

The video is in this thread!  I think Cassioppi could turn it around with some adjustments and a little more caution, but I don't see how you could argue Parris isn't a decent favorite.  It was three takedowns to zero and he pinned him.  If I were forced to bet I would bet on Parris, though I very much do not want to.

1 hour ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Funny how in their profile pics they both look like little kids... when in fact theyre both beasts!

Beasts who do in fact look like little kids. The pictures don't lie. That's actually what they look like in real life, and it's quite comical to see these hulks lurking and then they take off their hoodies and you remember how young they are.

6 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Yeah. He watched it. So have most everyone else in this thread. It is in the OP, ffs.

Just now, VakAttack said:

The video is in this thread!  I think Cassioppi could turn it around with some adjustments and a little more caution, but I don't see how you could argue Parris isn't a decent favorite.  It was three takedowns to zero and he pinned him.  If I were forced to bet I would bet on Parris, though I very much do not want to.

I do KNOW the video is in the thread... however, your comment that "I wasn't able to watch it" gave me the impression that - in fact - you hadn't been able to watch it. I'm literal like that. 

In addition, what I said is that this match doesn't make Parris a "world beater". I don't think it narrows the distance between him and Gable or that he is suddenly yards better than the other top heavies. 

What I also said - is that "Cass wasn't close to wrestling his best"... he looked like a guy who walked on the mat who wanted to be somewhere else. I, personally, think he'll refocus and be fine going forward.

I'll take Cass over Parris next time. I wouldn't argue at all that Parris would be the favorite. I'll still take Cass, even if I had to bet against Jimmy Cinnabon on it.

2 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I do KNOW the video is in the thread... however, your comment that "I wasn't able to watch it" gave me the impression that - in fact - you hadn't been able to watch it. I'm literal like that. 

In addition, what I said is that this match doesn't make Parris a "world beater". I don't think it narrows the distance between him and Gable or that he is suddenly yards better than the other top heavies. 

What I also said - is that "Cass wasn't close to wrestling his best"... he looked like a guy who walked on the mat who wanted to be somewhere else. I, personally, think he'll refocus and be fine going forward.

I'll take Cass over Parris next time. I wouldn't argue at all that Parris would be the favorite. I'll still take Cass, even if I had to bet against Jimmy Cinnabon on it.

I mean....ok, but isn't the implication since I'm writing in this thread that I wasn't able to watch it, until now?  Either way, yes I have now definitely watched it.  I'm not going to get in a pissing contest over this, I want Cass to win!

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I mean....ok, but isn't the implication since I'm writing in this thread that I wasn't able to watch it, until now?  Either way, yes I have now definitely watched it.  I'm not going to get in a pissing contest over this, I want Cass to win!

Unfortunately, no, it wasn't at all a clear implication. Some of us have been spending time in hospitals recently where texting is OK, but videos aren't so much. Rather than get into that, I simply took your comment for it's literal value.

No pissing contest here - I'm not into that garbage.

As I posted, I believe that the Parris win was deserved, yet doesn't necessarily mean as much going forward as others may interpret. Cass wasn't having his best day, and that may likely swing the other way the next time they meet. The other top heavies don't need to lose any sleep over it. It didn't appear to be a seismic change in the top weight, more of a bad day for Iowa's guy.

49 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

By definition, Paris is a world beater at the Junior level. So is Gable.