nhs67

Parris-Cass Video

Then next year and the yr after we will have all 3 of these monsters.  Plus Kerklivit, who lost to Gable by 1 point when he was a Jr and wrestling at 220 and Gable was a senior at Hwy.  Plus Lewis Fernandes of Cornell.  AJ Ferrari, maybe not til the year after next.  Braxton Amos possibly in 2 yrs.  Arizona St Colton Schultz, #1 recruit and Dave Schultz award winner last year. Next 2 yrs should be great at HWY.

2 hours ago, RichJersey2Cali said:

Then next year and the yr after we will have all 3 of these monsters.  Plus Kerklivit, who lost to Gable by 1 point when he was a Jr and wrestling at 220 and Gable was a senior at Hwy.  Plus Lewis Fernandes of Cornell.  AJ Ferrari, maybe not til the year after next.  Braxton Amos possibly in 2 yrs.  Arizona St Colton Schultz, #1 recruit and Dave Schultz award winner last year. Next 2 yrs should be great at HWY.

and poor Nevills has great high school credentials but a) May not start for PSU (depending on the mercurial Kerk) and b) currently appears to be a career 5th -8th guy based on the amount of high quality young beasts his age and weight.

Obviously this could all change after a few more years in the PSU room, but that is how it looks at present.

3 hours ago, RichJersey2Cali said:

Don't forget Hilger, a defending and returning AA who is a sophomore.

Anyone else think Parris looks like he still has some physical maturation to go through? He basically looks like an overgrown 14 year old to me. I think when that happens, he going to be really scary. I've yet to board the hype train but I'm considering buying a ticket. 

1 hour ago, PSUMike said:

Anyone else think Parris looks like he still has some physical maturation to go through? He basically looks like an overgrown 14 year old to me. I think when that happens, he going to be really scary. I've yet to board the hype train but I'm considering buying a ticket. 

Of course he has a lot of physical maturation left. He’s a true sophomore, so what is he, 19 or 20? There are many estimates of age at which strength peaks for men, but most cluster around age 25. Parris will be a beast a year or two after graduating, and Stevenson is in the same boat.

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Of course he has a lot of physical maturation left. He’s a true sophomore, so what is he, 19 or 20? There are many estimates of age at which strength peaks for men, but most cluster around age 25. Parris will be a beast a year or two after graduating, and Stevenson is in the same boat.

I get that but I'm saying it looks like he has more than his peers which compounds how high I think his ceiling is. I didn't buy the hype when Flo was pumping him up in HS nor did I buy in last season but he's starting to look like he has a very high ceiling. 

What people are forgetting about Parris is that he never concentrated on wrestling. He was a stud football player in HS (among other sports) and wasn't fully set to wrestle in college til late in the recruiting process. Last he wrestled as a true freshmen, and was slightly undersized. The growth everyone is seeing is from someone is now fully invested in wrestling only. Because of his athleticism he was able to make a large jump in 1 year and he's only going to continue to get better. 

Like others have said, the Heayweight weight class at Nationals is loaded for the next 3-4 year. Steveson (true Sophomore), Parris (true sophomore), Cassiopi (redshirt freshman), Hilger (redshirt sophomore), Kerklivet (redshirt), Schultz (redshirt), Fernandes (grayshirt), Orndorff (redshirt sophomore), Catka (VT recruit), and potentially Amos (Wisconsin recruit) / Ferrari (Ok St recruit) but I've heard both might go 197. 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:04 PM, LJB said:

for once, the typical hyperbole that gets spouted on this bbs was not exaggerated... that was pretty damn impressive...

Terrific Athleticism - and this was they type of motor everyone assumed Stevenson would bring every match. 

4 hours ago, VAtoSC said:

What people are forgetting about Parris is that he never concentrated on wrestling. He was a stud football player in HS

I didn't forget.  I beat that drum too.  I started watching him his junior year and made a point to keep up with him.  He has continued to improve and greatly.

Romero out of OSU never focused on wrestling either and it was obvious.  His improvements over last year are significant, but not Parris significant.

On 2/10/2020 at 5:19 AM, jchapman said:

Don't forget Hilger, a defending and returning AA who is a sophomore.

He's good. Real tough.   But I don't think he is at their level.  Especially not likely to win a title. 

I'm sure he will AA 2-3 more times. But I would have to say it would be in the 5-8 range.  

On 2/10/2020 at 4:51 AM, AHamilton said:

and poor Nevills has great high school credentials but a) May not start for PSU (depending on the mercurial Kerk) and b) currently appears to be a career 5th -8th guy based on the amount of high quality young beasts his age and weight.

Obviously this could all change after a few more years in the PSU room, but that is how it looks at present.

I agree.  He probably should transfer.

So I didn't realize til just a min ago,that Lewis Fernandes not only beat, but pinned Harvard's Hwy, who's number 10 in the nation.  And just last month, lost a 6-4 match to Kerklivit. And he currently has a 26-4  record.

I don't think he will be competing for a title next year.  But I definitely believe be will make the round of 12 or even AA, somewhere between 5-8.

My prediction for next year might be

Parris

Gable

Kerklivit

Cassioppi

Schultz

Fernandes

Stencil

Nevlis

Hilger

Orndorff

Steveson is the cream of the crop on his feet. He will have trouble from Parris and maybe Cass on the mat. It will be interesting to see the strategies employed to take advantage of these strengths and weaknesses.
I’ve still got Steveson to win in March.

17 hours ago, RichJersey2Cali said:

So I didn't realize til just a min ago,that Lewis Fernandes not only beat, but pinned Harvard's Hwy, who's number 10 in the nation.  And just last month, lost a 6-4 match to Kerklivit. And he currently has a 26-4  record.

I don't think he will be competing for a title next year.  But I definitely believe be will make the round of 12 or even AA, somewhere between 5-8.

My prediction for next year might be

Parris

Gable

Kerklivit

Cassioppi

Schultz

Fernandes

Stencil

Nevlis

Hilger

Orndorff

PSU starting 2 heavy weights next year?

On 2/9/2020 at 10:54 PM, VakAttack said:

That was an ass-kicking.  I wasn't able to watch it since I was taking the wife to the *high fallutin' voice* theater.  I'm pleasantly surprised to see there are adjustments Cass could make where he could turn the result around based on the descriptions I read of the match, but man, Parris is a substantial favorite, and I have to wonder if he can go with Gable now.  That said, there's a clear delineation in the HWT hierarchy.

I'm saying:

1. Gable

2. A very close Parris

3. Decent gap to Cass.

When is the last time the top 3 at the big boy weight were all in their second year of college?  Usually that's a man's weight.

Yup I agree. 

I thought Iowa fans and Flo were overhyping Cass in the preseason. I had him as a potential AA, but didn’t expect him to be top 3. 

He really impressed me with the Hilger win. I think Hilger will be a 4 time AA with maybe a finalist appearance. 

props to Cass. This loss just means he isn’t tier 1 yet, but Iowa looks to have an AA at hvwt for the entire cycle

On 2/10/2020 at 6:31 PM, Mphillips said:

I didn't forget.  I beat that drum too.  I started watching him his junior year and made a point to keep up with him.  He has continued to improve and greatly.

Romero out of OSU never focused on wrestling either and it was obvious.  His improvements over last year are significant, but not Parris significant.

Yup. Romero is fairly likely to AA and didn’t even start last year. 

On 2/14/2020 at 3:31 PM, Mokoma said:

PSU starting 2 heavy weights next year?

Yup, I heard that it's the first time they are allowing it. Because of their ages and how good both are.  And problem cause it's Penn State.  But they have to sit another weight to balance it all out.