Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Princeton: After 36 Years, an Ivy Title

17 hours ago, russelscout said:

Awesome to see where Ayers has brought this program. I understand the struggles of the Ivies, but what does the rest of league look like as far as potential? Could another program make these kinds of strides? 

Penn. 

They're starting to string together very solid recruiting classes under Roger Reina, a proven ace recruiter.  They have the Philadelphia RTC.  The Wharton School is a great incentive.  They've had success at the conference and national level in the past.  No reason they can't be on Princeton's level again.  

Just now, Frank_Rizzo said:

Penn. 

They're starting to string together very solid recruiting classes under Roger Reina, a proven ace recruiter.  They have the Philadelphia RTC.  The Wharton School is a great incentive.  They've had success at the conference and national level in the past.  No reason they can't be on Princeton's level again.  

This is what I was thinking. I haven't followed them recently, but when I started really becoming a fan of college wrestling Matt Valenti was winning titles. I wonder when we will start seeing guys like that again?

2 hours ago, russelscout said:

This is what I was thinking. I haven't followed them recently, but when I started really becoming a fan of college wrestling Matt Valenti was winning titles. I wonder when we will start seeing guys like that again?

Valenti was a stud from the moment he stepped foot on campus.  R12 as a true freshman, 5th, not enrolled, 1st, and 1st.  There aren't that many guys like him to go around! 

I always wonder what he could have done if 57kg were in existence internationally while he was still competing.  As it stood, he was facing guys who wrestled 149 in college, like Mike Zadick, at 60kg.  

I wish that win had earned Princeton the Ivy League's auto-bid to the NCAA Team Tournament. 

That would have meant so much more.  Especially, if it left Cornell on the bubble and possibly not getting a bid to the tournament.

It's called the Admit List, and each coach has a given number of admits per year.  I've heard that in the recent past Harvard wrestling had one admit per year.  It doesn't mean that they'll only land one good recruit each year, but the rest have to go through the normal admissions process, one that accepts something like 5% of applicants.  Those on the admit list still have to be able to handle the college's academics, but they avoid the admissions department's sieve.

If some influential alumni with deep pockets can influence the administration to move to two admits each year, or five in a two-year period, the front-line team can improve in a hurry.  I have to believe that Princeton did this in order to land the prospects they have; but the Tigers have a thin roster.

1 hour ago, RichB said:

Pretty sure Princeton last won EIWA in 1978. 

Correct.  John Johnston was the coach.  118.25 points.  Syracuse was second with 100.25; Ed Carlin, who shares the record for the fastest pin at an EIWA tournament (0:08), was their coach.