Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
shieldofpistis

Ohio State Future

Recommended Posts

I am a Buckeye fan.  I did not attend Ohio State but I am from Ohio.  My question is this:  Why did McKenna and Snyder leave?  At the NLWC won't Bo get a lot of practice time with Snyder and get a feel for him?  One of Snyder's weakspots compared to other gold medal winners is that he has been on the receiving end of big moves. 

 

But my question----  How much will this hurt Ohio State?  They build a new facility.  But they lost their gold medalists.  And they lost McKenna.  Why would other top recruits choose Ohio State when it seems like most of the great wrestlers are at NLWC or other places?  

Do you think Ohio State will be able to compete with Penn State and Iowa for top recruits for the next 5-10 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bo must gain weight and increase his strength to enable his technique to work effectively against Snyder.  Snyder should want Bo to improve so that it forces Snyder to get better.  Snyder stopped getting top results while at Ohio State.  He changed his environment to fail forward.  It was less about Ohio State and more about new opportunities.

Ohio State will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn’t J’Den Cox at the Ohio RTC now? I think they will be fine.

As far as the NLWC, who knows what Bo’s plans are. After NCAAs, he (and his mom) said it would be a year of world competition, then MMA. No idea if he’s reconsidered, but Nickal could very well be their 92kg guy if he sticks around. It’s also a possibility that DT might be done if he doesn’t make the Olympic team, so there could be an opening at 86kg also. Either way, there’s no RTC roster limit at each weight so if the athletes don’t care, then maybe it’s nbd.

Edited by pamela

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody will take McKenna’s departure as a knock on Ohio State. He is going to Wharton for business school, so he’s at the Penn RTC now. Enough said. 
 

Snyder’s departure is much more concerning for recruiting purposes. But if he gets anything less than gold at the Olympics, which I think he’ll be hard pressed to do, Ohio State will suddenly look pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Snyder’s departure should have been too much of a shocker either. After the last couple of Worlds’, esp last year, folks were saying that his wrestling could benefit from a change of scenery and/or that it was time to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pamela said:

I don’t think Snyder’s departure should have been too much of a shocker either. After the last couple of Worlds’, esp last year, folks were saying that his wrestling could benefit from a change of scenery and/or that it was time to move on.

This is why I think what was initially brutal for Ohio State may end well. What if Snyder only gets a bronze or even fails to medal? Even if he only gets silver, the scenario is not much different. Ohio State looks like the place where Snyder got his golds, and the sliding performance of the last two worlds will be excused by his new club's inability to deliver better from him. Meanwhile, what if Cox makes the Olympic finals after joining the Ohio RTC, and what if he wins the gold? I am not saying Ohio RTC or the NLWC should be judged this way, but in high level sports, how else do the masses judge a program's performance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 9:23 PM, shieldofpistis said:

I am a Buckeye fan.  I did not attend Ohio State but I am from Ohio.  My question is this:  Why did McKenna and Snyder leave?  At the NLWC won't Bo get a lot of practice time with Snyder and get a feel for him?  One of Snyder's weakspots compared to other gold medal winners is that he has been on the receiving end of big moves. 

 

But my question----  How much will this hurt Ohio State?  They build a new facility.  But they lost their gold medalists.  And they lost McKenna.  Why would other top recruits choose Ohio State when it seems like most of the great wrestlers are at NLWC or other places?  

Do you think Ohio State will be able to compete with Penn State and Iowa for top recruits for the next 5-10 years?

Snyder left because he lost.  Or because God told him to.  I can't seem to keep those straight--maybe because they're the same thing.  

McKenna leaving was a bummer, but if we're being honest he was a bit of a hired gun in the first place, and he had a more than a couple things pulling him in another direction including his long history with Slay and grad school aspirations.  Him leaving isn't remotely as impactful as Snyder... NaTo, Martin, and Moore are all roughly in the same position on the ladders in their respective weights as he is.  

Why would top recruits choose Ohio State... well for one, there are financial limitations that everyone is constrained by to some degree.  Beyond that, they have the best facilities in the country, the second best track record over the past 10 years of producing AA's and national champions (behind only PSU), elite coaches and an RTC that will support elite athletes' freestyle aspirations, strong academics, a big school environment in an attractive city, a new arena for duals that's created a consistently electric home crowd environment for the first time ever. 

Point is, Ohio State has plenty to offer and they're going to be just fine.  Whether they can beat PSU and Iowa remains to be seen.  After next year the playing field looks slightly more even between a group of about 5 teams, so we'll see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 10:26 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

This is why I think what was initially brutal for Ohio State may end well. What if Snyder only gets a bronze or even fails to medal? Even if he only gets silver, the scenario is not much different. 

Well... with Cox moving up, how about if he doesn't make the team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...