Badger Fan

What is Stalling Anyway?

1 hour ago, RavishingRickRude said:

I’d love someone to explain the 2nd period of Verkleeren v Lee this weekend. Verkleeren gets to his feet and the following calls happen with zero movement of the wrestlers: (1) still red (2) stalling red (3) neutral, escape green. 

This one was weird (around 5:15 of the video).

Verk probably could’ve just been given an escape earlier, but looks like when he did get it he was standing up slightly straighter.   But until he gets the escape, the top man is stalling if he’s not trying to return him to the mat. 

What is Stalling Anyway?

Stalling?  Well, now, let me see.  I don't have any idea what that means. To me it's just a made-up word.  A politician's word so that young fellas like yourself can wear a striped shirt and sneakers and have a job.

What do you really want to know?  Am I sorry for what I did? There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret for stalling.  Not because I didn't get dinged and because you think I should've.  I look back on the way I was then...a young...stupid wrestler who committed that terrible infraction. I want to talk to him.  I want to try and talk some sense to him. Tell him the way things are.  But I can't. That kid's long gone...and this old man is all that's left.  I got to live with that.

Stalling? It's just a bullsh!t word.  So you go on and claim I won my titles by stalling, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth...I don't give a sh!t.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

15 hours ago, Dartsingle said:

This year more than ever I have seen top wrestlers hooking the ankle and extending themselves to keep the bottom man from being able to work up.  This to me IS STALLING. In this situation the top guy is not working to turn/score points...he is only looking to ride out.  Yes, they are somewhat off the side...however, again, there is no effort to turn/score.  

PSU is guilty....Iowa is guilty...and on and on and on.  

What is interesting is that the bottom man is often hit for stalling because he is not able to work up to a base/quad-pod/standup.  This is an area that needs serious looking at in my opinion.  

This is so true.  Hanging on the leg and parallel rides are back in style.  PSU does this a lot.  Kemerer in his match against Smith, though likely to win anyway, did this the whole match.

11 hours ago, AHamilton said:

If your back is continually facing the out of bounds and you are consistently close enough to be driven out, then you aren't wrestling.

False. Everyone's back is continually facing the out of bounds unless you are parallel to the mat.

Edge wrestling can be exciting but that excitement diminishes when people are being pushed out of bounds for a point they shouldn't be able to lose. Stepping out of bounds doesn't mean you are stalling. Being pushed out of bounds doesn't mean you are stalling.

8 hours ago, jross said:

Art. 12. Stalling by Dropping Down to a Lower Leg. When the offensive wrestler positions himself with one or both hands below the buttocks of the defensive wrestler, the referee shall immediately start a verbal five-second count. Whenever possible, the referee also should include a visual indication of the count. The referee shall stop the count when the offensive wrestler improves his position, moves his hold back up above the buttocks of the defensive wrestler, releases the hold or when both wrestlers rise to the standing position. If the referee reaches the fifth count before the offensive wrestler improves his position, moves his hold back up above the buttocks or releases the hold, then the offensive wrestler shall be called for stalling.

This one is interesting regarding the ankle hooking situation we saw a couple of times this past weekend. In the RBY/Gross match, the ref refused to start a 5 count and could be heard saying he wasn't locked. But by the rule, that doesn't matter. RBY was below the buttocks and was making no attempt to improve his position.

He hooks the leg at around 0:54 and stays there until stalemate is called at 0:29. That's 25 seconds of no attempt to improve position whatsoever. (I don't mean to pick on RBY too much. He looked great in that match, but would love to see some emphasis on calling stalling from this position.)

Edited by Crotalus

1 hour ago, unbiased said:

False. Everyone's back is continually facing the out of bounds unless you are parallel to the mat.

How were the reading comprehension scores for you in elementary school?

Read my post again and maybe go back to Miss Lippy's kindergarten class.

There was something about proximity to the edge.  If you are always near the edge with your back facing out, there is a good chance you are 'avoiding wrestling.' Stalling.

I will also mention that your assertion is incorrect.  What if the wrestler is actually already out of bounds?

9 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

If you are always near the edge with your back facing out, there is a good chance you are 'avoiding wrestling.' Stalling.

I will also mention that your assertion is incorrect.  What if the wrestler is actually already out of bounds?

That would seem to be true but watching wrestling over the years proves that this is one of the most subjective calls or non calls as it would be, in wrestling.

I don't understand what you are implying with the wrestler already being out of bounds.

13 hours ago, AHamilton said:

If your back is continually facing the out of bounds and you are consistently close enough to be driven out, then you aren't wrestling.

Where you are on the mat isn't as important as what you are currently doing or have been doing. There are wrestlers who actually wrestle the edge. There are wrestlers who can maintain center and stall. Being driven out of bounds or not being able to circle back to the center (because there is someone defending the center of the mat) isn't stalling.

46 minutes ago, unbiased said:

That would seem to be true but watching wrestling over the years proves that this is one of the most subjective calls or non calls as it would be, in wrestling.

I don't understand what you are implying with the wrestler already being out of bounds.

Not implying anything.  If I am out of bounds with my chest facing the nearest OOB line, then ,y back is facing the other direction. (not the OOB line)

1 hour ago, unbiased said:

Where you are on the mat isn't as important as what you are currently doing or have been doing. There are wrestlers who actually wrestle the edge. There are wrestlers who can maintain center and stall. Being driven out of bounds or not being able to circle back to the center (because there is someone defending the center of the mat) isn't stalling.

"There are wrestlers who actually wrestle the edge." ie.Use the edge for safety aka stalling.('avoiding wrestling')

And wrestling in the center is also not enough to be active, so I agree with you there.

22 hours ago, Badger Fan said:

Stalling or No Stalling
Wrestler who is ahead keeps a good stance but doesn't back up, doesn't duck his head, but does not try to score from the feet

This is an interesting one.  By definition technically this is stalling but I doubt many refs will call this.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

Not implying anything.  If I am out of bounds with my chest facing the nearest OOB line, then ,y back is facing the other direction. (not the OOB line)

You didn't specify the out of bounds line in your original comment. That is the reason i stated that a wrestlers back always faces out of bounds.

Edited by unbiased

My solution: Change period 1 to 2 minutes. Periods 2 and 3 are the same. Add a period 4, where wrestlers start in neutral and it's untimed. Wrestler ahead on points needs TD to win. If it's tied, TD wins. Wrestler behind on points needs to get ahead on points to win.

Viola - no more stalling and wrestlers get rewarded for good cardio.

14 minutes ago, unbiased said:

You didn't specify the out of bounds line in your original comment. That is the reason i stated that a wrestlers back always faces out of bounds.

And I was mistaken when I called it the OOB line.  It is actual an  IN-BOUNDS line.

13 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

My solution: Change period 1 to 2 minutes. Periods 2 and 3 are the same. Add a period 4, where wrestlers start in neutral and it's untimed. Wrestler ahead on points needs TD to win. If it's tied, TD wins. Wrestler behind on points needs to get ahead on points to win.

Viola - no more stalling and wrestlers get rewarded for good cardio.

That would be fun, but tournaments would be a **** show.