Sign in to follow this  
MonagFam

What is the offseasons like for the college wrestling fan?

New fan here who is realizing that he got into the sport a little late in the season so it will definitely feel like it just came and went.  (It may always feel like that, as I have followed football more and even starting preseason it often seems over in no time).

So, what is the off season like for college wrestling fans?  Is it just international (I realize the Olympics are not too far away) and freestyle (my wrestling viewing is split between folk and free)? Or is there something else that is going on? Wrestling doesnt just end for seven months for most fans or wrestlers does it?  Or is it a barren wasteland?

Its become a lot easier to stay a fan. FRL keeps me up to date with recruiting, international, and any other kind of big news that might come a long. As far as on the message boards, the discussions post NCAA maintain about a month until we start talking what next year looks like. There is still plenty to talk about with the following years team race and individual race. You will also have the discussions about the greatest wrestler insert topic here. Flo gets a lot of crap, but their content makes it so much easier to maintain fanaticism. 

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I keep watching the wrestling boards, see what's happening internationally with our boys. Don't care much for FS, though.

8 hours ago, potentiallydangerous said:

I watch YouTube videos of my favorite college wrestlers when they were ten years old.

8 hours ago, russelscout said:

Its become a lot easier to stay a fan. FRL keeps me up to date with recruiting, international, and any other kind of big news that might come a long. As far as on the message boards, the discussions post NCAA maintain about a month until we start talking what next year looks like. There is still plenty to talk about with the following years team race and individual race. You will also have the discussions about the greatest wrestler insert topic here. Flo gets a lot of crap, but their content makes it so much easier to maintain fanaticism. 

Thanks for all the replies!  I always have lots of questions!

Offseason luster is waning because almost all recruits are committed by JAN.  

You are relegated to these forums and talking about how you think your team will be fielded and who has the best chance to AA.  

I am a freestyle fan, so I follow that as well.  Especially since there is the resurgence of college wrestlers competing internationally.  Seems like the mid 80s were the last time that happened on a large scale.  In the 90s and “Aughties” senior level freestyle was just something college guys did for fun in the offseason to get a long weekend in Vegas.  Most college guys competed in espoir and later University international qualifications.  

I think Kyle Snyder started the revival when he won worlds.  

1 hour ago, LJB said:

it is not the off-season... all this folk BS is the PRE-SEASON...

the real season starts immediately thereafter...

Especially since more and more college guys are competing for senior WT spots.  See my prev post.