Sign in to follow this  
kgschalhoub

ACC Conference

I watched the Virginia/Pitt dual on the "Friday Night Duals" on the ACC Network. They made the statement that the ACC is the second best conference for wresting. I say, if you want to approach the status of the Big Ten, every school in the ACC needs to add wrestling, just like BIG.

Let me preface this by saying I'm an NC State fan and season ticket holder.  That being said 4 out of the top 10 dual teams are from the ACC and that aint nothing.  Yes, the conference has a long way to go but they have made great strides in recent years.  We should be celebrating those strides and hope they continue because it's good for the sport.  I think Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Louisville are great opportunities for D1 expansion.  I hope somebody who has the money and loves the sport and school agrees.  In the meantime the 6 ACC schools who do sponsor wrestling are going to continue to grow the conference and battle for dual titles and team trophies.  

Personally, I am all for the expansion of NCAA wrestling programs. The one thing that needs to occur is evidence of viability for the sport within the conference. The ACC is showing that evidence this year. The one issue I see is Duke's demise. That program is flirting with extinction.

Perhaps a better route to take before mandating that the entire conference take on the sport is to reinstate programs that had success in the past (Syracuse, Clemson) or, better yet, bring on programs that are in an area of higher level recruiting (Louisville - close to OH, IN, and IL, or again, Syracuse) as a way to set them up for success. As an add-on to this point, my guess is athletic directors do not want to be told by higher-ups that their already-thin budget is about to incur another program. That is a good way to start things off on the wrong foot. But if it does occur, circle back to my first point which is teams have to be their number one promoter and fundraiser. Sadly, even if a team has show sustainability through their efforts, it is not a guarantee.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Personally, I am all for the expansion of NCAA wrestling programs. The one thing that needs to occur is evidence of viability for the sport within the conference. The ACC is showing that evidence this year. The one issue I see is Duke's demise. That program is flirting with extinction.

Perhaps a better route to take before mandating that the entire conference take on the sport is to reinstate programs that had success in the past (Syracuse, Clemson) or, better yet, bring on programs that are in an area of higher level recruiting (Louisville - close to OH, IN, and IL, or again, Syracuse) as a way to set them up for success. As an add-on to this point, my guess is athletic directors do not want to be told by higher-ups that their already-thin budget is about to incur another program. That is a good way to start things off on the wrong foot. But if it does occur, circle back to my first point which is teams have to be their number one promoter and fundraiser. Sadly, even if a team has show sustainability through their efforts, it is not a guarantee.

I agree. It would be great if Syracuse and Clemson reinstated wrestling. They have good histories.

Seems like Boston College would be another program that could be successful. The location is great for recruiting. 

I would also love for the ACC to look into adding other existing programs. App State, Campbell, and Missouri would be my dream slate of non ACC schools to add. Duke does seem to be flirting with extinction so I’m hoping the ACC has plans of expansion. Hopefully Duke can regain traction because going down to only 5 teams would be tough. 

The ACC is my second favorite conference to follow anymore. NC State is my second favorite program to follow in the country. Not far behind is Pitt. 

I would love to see the conference bring back at least a few programs. 

Has Georgia Tech ever had a program? With HS wrestling very quickly getting very good in the state that would be a great program to bring into the fold imo. 

How is BIG able to do it? Granted, traditionally all the original schools in BIG had wrestling and the schools they added already had wrestling programs. But many of the schools in the ACC did once have wrestling, such as Syracuse and Clemson. 

49 minutes ago, iGranby said:

The ACC is my second favorite conference to follow anymore. NC State is my second favorite program to follow in the country. Not far behind is Pitt. 

I would love to see the conference bring back at least a few programs. 

Has Georgia Tech ever had a program? With HS wrestling very quickly getting very good in the state that would be a great program to bring into the fold imo. 

GA doesn't have a D1 team at all right?  I agree GT seems like a good candidate.

6 minutes ago, kgschalhoub said:

How is BIG able to do it? Granted, traditionally all the original schools in BIG had wrestling and the schools they added already had wrestling programs. But many of the schools in the ACC did once have wrestling, such as Syracuse and Clemson. 

The Big 10 has tons of tradition that goes back for decades and that strong tradition brings tons of money for their programs from the university.  It also helps on the fundraising side.

Plus, the midwest has traditionally been a strong wrestling area and it was always easy to recruit quality guys.

The ACC has come a long way and the top schools (UNC, NC State, Pitt, VT) are now getting some serious football money (ACC money) invested in their programs.

The future hurdles for those programs will be constant sellout crowds (not in traditional wrestling regions except for Pitt), fundraising especially for their RTC's and facility upgrades which now cost millions of dollars to keep up with the big money program facilities.  Not so much of a hurdle for Pitt but the rest of the ACC are in weak wrestling areas, especially if you keep going south.

They need to keep the south's best wrestlers in the south and nab guys from the NE which is easy with the better weather.

45 minutes ago, Boompa said:

The Big 10 has tons of tradition that goes back for decades and that strong tradition brings tons of money for their programs from the university.  It also helps on the fundraising side.

Plus, the midwest has traditionally been a strong wrestling area and it was always easy to recruit quality guys.

The ACC has come a long way and the top schools (UNC, NC State, Pitt, VT) are now getting some serious football money (ACC money) invested in their programs.

The future hurdles for those programs will be constant sellout crowds (not in traditional wrestling regions except for Pitt), fundraising especially for their RTC's and facility upgrades which now cost millions of dollars to keep up with the big money program facilities.  Not so much of a hurdle for Pitt but the rest of the ACC are in weak wrestling areas, especially if you keep going south.

They need to keep the south's best wrestlers in the south and nab guys from the NE which is easy with the better weather.

Agree. I once heard John Smith say some years ago that he was having trouble recruiting because HS wrestling in OK had gone down in quality and he said college wrestling recruiting was mostly regional. I keep hearing about HS programs in FL and GA, that is a good sign.

Syracuse and BC alumni were both given four years to raise money to save their programs. No one cared. Lehigh, Penn, Cornell Alumni pledged more money to save Syracuse wrestling than di the Orange Alum.

Don't Know what exactly happened at Clemson

I think Georgia Tech had a team but nowhere near as strong as the powerhouse Duke Team,  Of course the school is 73% male, so Title 9 was never a problem. They could offset wrestling with a women's golf team. How is there not a women's golf team in the state with the masters

Florida State, te despicable Bobby Bowden would recruit a football player every couple of years who was also a national caliber HS wrestler, He would always promise them a wrestling team. Bupkis.

So Wake Forest, U of Miami, Lexington,

Oh and speaking of despicable, most of us know the Notre Dame Story  

I believe that the rise of women's wrestling will lead to expansion in the sport on the men's side as well. Especially in the south. If you can get 16 scholarships for women, it's easy to offset that with the 9.5 for the men and the equipment is the same.... so might as well have both programs. Heck you could probably have the same coaching staff for both. 

ACC at the very least needs to get up to 8 teams (Dream goal would be 12.) My rankings for which teams would make the most sense for geographic/recruiting reasons...

1. Notre Dame

2. Syracuse

3. Georgia Tech

4. Louisville

5. Boston College

6. Wake Forest

7. Clemson

8. Florida State

9. Miami

1 hour ago, Lee C said:

I believe that the rise of women's wrestling will lead to expansion in the sport on the men's side as well. Especially in the south. If you can get 16 scholarships for women, it's easy to offset that with the 9.5 for the men and the equipment is the same.... so might as well have both programs. Heck you could probably have the same coaching staff for both. 

Whatever.  Pipedream dude.

10 hours ago, Lee C said:

Why is this forum so combative? Not even worth it. Y'all are some dickheads. 

It's because they don't have to say it to people's face. Internet tough guys! If they had to deal with people face-to-face, it would be a whole different ball game.

I have heard rumors that Notre Dame looked into potentially bringing their program back a few years ago and decided not to do it. Would lvoe to see them field a program again. I don't think there is anyway that Syracuse tries to bring back their program, same with Clemson. 

I think the most likely situation would be to see Louisville or Georgia Tech add wrestling. I know both schools have explored the option of adding men's lacrosse in the last few years. Would like to see 1 or both add wrestling. 

I have heard rumors that Notre Dame looked into potentially bringing their program back a few years ago and decided not to do it. Would lvoe to see them field a program again. I don't think there is anyway that Syracuse tries to bring back their program, same with Clemson. 
I think the most likely situation would be to see Louisville or Georgia Tech add wrestling. I know both schools have explored the option of adding men's lacrosse in the last few years. Would like to see 1 or both add wrestling. 

When the Big Ten expansion rumors swirled, I called their Associate AD and got the line “Notre Dame has no interest in bringing back any sport we have dropped.”

Reason I called was to investigate the myth that the Big Ten required wrestling - it does not - so I was barking up the ND tree to see if that was a possibility.

Nope.

50 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

When the Big Ten expansion rumors swirled, I called their Associate AD and got the line “Notre Dame has no interest in bringing back any sport we have dropped.”

Reason I called was to investigate the myth that the Big Ten required wrestling - it does not - so I was barking up the ND tree to see if that was a possibility.

Nope.

Hello, rain. Meet Parade.

I hate it when you state facts, Mr. Bryant.

I really can't imagine any ACC team adding wrestling in the future. If anything I can only see schools contracting athletic departments further to keep more money generated by Football and Basketball. I found a 2017 report on Iowa Athletics. Iowa you would think would generate the most (top 5 minimum) income from wrestling. They had $577,719 in income vs. $1,570,460 in expenses. That is a million dollar loser at a place where it is one of the most important sports on campus. An article about Penn State had them losing over $700,000 in 2015.

I just can't see anyone taking on athletic department debt beyond what they have. 

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

Hello, rain. Meet Parade.

I hate it when you state facts, Mr. Bryant.

I wish the Big Ten thing wasn't a fact. It's more of a measure of trying to quell people from spreading misinformation than it is trying to rain on anyone's parade. I've heard that myth repeated so many times ...