TobusRex

Whatever happened to head in the side cradles?

10 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

One reason we don't see a lot of cradles is millennial sportsmanship doesn't allow forcing the knee close to the head.  

I thought the whole point of wrestling was forcing other people's bodies into positions they didn't want to be in?

16 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Agreed.  As soon as the head goes to the side all the pressure comes off...

That's where being quick comes in handy. Pressure leaves the top and goes to the side.  It's not like the guy on bottom can immediately spring to his feet and wheel around or anything.

15 hours ago, Perry said:

Tilts are the in thing at the moment but there have been some guys who have great success with cradles. Rby hit desanto in two which were both stopped immediately due to austin crying out. Daniel Lewis was a monster with a cross face cradle and pinner zahid with one last year. They work on all levels

Tilts were very rare back in my day. Can't pin with them, or damned hard to. Very few coaches taught it, saw it as risky for the top wrestler to expose his own back at the same time he exposed the defender's back. Cradles were the  "go to" point scoring moves, and I remember my coaches telling me "you won't pin anybody with a cradle". I pinned several but the point was valid: cradles were better for scoring than pinning. I wish I'd learned it when I was a kid, I'd have destroyed all the Okies at the state tournament in those days with a tilt...if I didn't defensive pin myself.

7 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Tilts were very rare back in my day. Can't pin with them, or damned hard to. Very few coaches taught it, saw it as risky for the top wrestler to expose his own back at the same time he exposed the defender's back. Cradles were the  "go to" point scoring moves, and I remember my coaches telling me "you won't pin anybody with a cradle". I pinned several but the point was valid: cradles were better for scoring than pinning. I wish I'd learned it when I was a kid, I'd have destroyed all the Okies at the state tournament in those days with a tilt...if I didn't defensive pin myself.

Mark Hall just got a pin off the tilt on Sunday, and I think Spencer Lee has had a couple in college as well.

As far as cradles go, I've always considered them the best pinning move in wrestling.  Not sure why anyone would say you won't pin anybody with a cradle.  That seems asinine to say the least.

2 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Mark Hall just got a pin off the tilt on Sunday, and I think Spencer Lee has had a couple in college as well.

As far as cradles go, I've always considered them the best pinning move in wrestling.  Not sure why anyone would say you won't pin anybody with a cradle.  That seems asinine to say the least.

Spencer Lee is maybe the best college wrestler we've seen using tilts, and he gets continual **** around here for his low number of pins. I think that illustrates the point that tilts aren't great for pinning.

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Spencer Lee is maybe the best college wrestler we've seen using tilts, and he gets continual **** around here for his low number of pins. I think that illustrates the point that tilts aren't great for pinning.

I didn't say tilts were great.  I said cradles are great.

34 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Ok, Boomer!  Some Iowa fans, and maybe others, raked RBY over the coals for forcing  someone unnamed persons knee close to his head.  Where is your sense of humor?

I don't know what the example about RBY has anything to do with millennials. No one involved in that match is a millennial, so I did I miss something? If I did, I apologize, but it gets kind of old hearing people rip on millenials for no logical reason. 

32 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Snowflakes. You know those Iowa guys.....

I think its funny I get called a snowflake, since I have been called out for being too aggressive and mean to some. It's inconsistent to call me both.

31 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

There is no way russelscout is in his 70's?  

Early 30's, so I am actually a millennial.

2 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I tried to find a picture, but couldn't. Its when you drive your head into the side of the based out opponent and pull the leg and head towards each other to secure the cradle. It's a Jr high move at best. 

The levels of explanation for a near side cradle(snowplow) are comical.  I've never heard it called a snowplow, but it's pretty easy to imagine...

I never thought of you as being old enough to be a boomer.  Christ I'm not even old enough to be a boomer and I'm 50+.

40 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I think its funny I get called a snowflake, since I have been called out for being too aggressive and mean to some. It's inconsistent to call me both.

Early 30's, so I am actually a millennial.

I wouldn't be a proper college wrestling fan if I didn't tease the Hawkeyes every now and then :D

37 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I tried to find a picture, but couldn't. Its when you drive your head into the side of the based out opponent and pull the leg and head towards each other to secure the cradle. It's a Jr high move at best. 

LOL...yeah, that's exactly the move I was talking about :D Hashed it out earlier with another dude. Hey, guy is flat on his belly, won't move, can't turn him...what do you have to lose by trying?

Just now, TobusRex said:

LOL...yeah, that's exactly the move I was talking about :D Hashed it out earlier with another dude. Hey, guy is flat on his belly, won't move, can't turn him...what do you have to lose by trying?

Against a turd, not much. Against a good guy, you're going to lose the ride. Unless you have freak strength, the bottom man can sit through and it won't be too hard for him since you are not covering his hips at all. 

6 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Getting pinned in a tilt, especially in college, is an embarrassment.

I think you're right in 99% of the instances this happens, but there are those rare times when a tilt is locked-up so tight that a wrestler is unable to bridge, move, etc., and is incapable of avoiding being pinned. 

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I see more chicken wings and power halves in college than the cradles I mentioned. When I mention "head in side" cradles I mean the cradles where the bottom guy is splayed out trying to avoid getting turned, which happens a lot when the top wrestler is a hammer. That's the only time you can really work for it, and it's easy to do.

I suspect it's like russelscout says: they are out of fashion, not flashy enough.

I said double chicken wings and regular power halfs (not with legs in). You almost never see those because they're almost impossible to get against good wrestlers. 

"It's easy to do" is ignorant. You can't just put your head in the side and run down a nearside cradle unless there's a large skill gap in which case other turns (turns that work against good guys) are already working. 

Also, the idea that cradles aren't "flashy" is a bit ridiculous. They're probably the flashiest turn in significant use. Some of the most iconic moments in the sport come from cradles. Hendricks-Churella, Bubba Jenkins, Jaggers, Coleman Scott, Ed Ruth, etc...

The reason you see more tilts is that it's a lot easier to capture a wrist then it is to crunch somebody's head to their knee. It also takes less energy. The reality is that very few are able to force a cradle. You usually have to catch your opponent making a mistake (like McKee this weekend). 

6 hours ago, Mphillips said:

The levels of explanation for a near side cradle(snowplow) are comical.  I've never heard it called a snowplow, but it's pretty easy to imagine...

I never thought of you as being old enough to be a boomer.  Christ I'm not even old enough to be a boomer and I'm 50+.

It was called a snowplow in the 80's in Wisconsin.