sidakova4991

J'den Cox Announces Move up to 97kg

The drama of Snyder leaving Ohio RTC only to be replaced by his top competitor is too good to be true but is actually true. Incredible turn of events. I cannot wait to see this in person. I’ve never been more excited to see a wrestling match.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

I'm not surprised.  Knowing J'den, I knew that all the folks talking about which weight gave him a better chance at Oly gold were barking up the wrong tree.  I knew he'd seek what he thought was the biggest challenge, not the least.  I also thought he would be governed by how he felt he would perform, and try to maximize that, with weights/opponents not even considerations.  I wish him the best, he's chosen a path that will test him, for sure.  

It's probably much better for his body, not going out there drained from the weight cut, but the path for the gold is much harder as well, Snyder on home soil and Mohammadi and Sadulaev out there.

I'm way more excited now than I'd be if he had decided to go 86 kg.

2 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Man, if Nickal doesn't go 86KG, I will be so disappointed

If Bo was adding some lbs to be competitive at 97 will it be too late to make a u-turn back to 86? It's less than 8 weeks until OTTs.

Can't believe people thought he would or even could go 86 with a 2 day weigh in. He looked bad in Paris worlds under the old weigh in rules. Definitely the right choice. Him at 86 would be James Green at 65 all over again. I think he would have lost to the first decent wrestler he faced at 86 if he made the team.

6 minutes ago, Shiraz123 said:

Can't believe people thought he would or even could go 86 with a 2 day weigh in. He looked bad in Paris worlds under the old weigh in rules. Definitely the right choice. Him at 86 would be James Green at 65 all over again. I think he would have lost to the first decent wrestler he faced at 86 if he made the team.

That's what I thought too, but he said in the video that he's been walking around at about 200lbs (90kg) and weighed in at 198lbs (89.8kg) at the last US world team trials.

6 minutes ago, pamela said:

That's what I thought too, but he said in the video that he's been walking around at about 200lbs (90kg) and weighed in at 198lbs (89.8kg) at the last US world team trials.

I think if he could go 86 he would. Had that problem with Taylor in 2017 ( lol) and its an easier weight. 

19 minutes ago, pamela said:

The whole taking on the world angle is a better sell. Saying you are going 97 because the cut is too tough doesn't get you much. Not discounting anything here either, but the two day weigh in would make it that much harder. 

47 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

The drama of Snyder leaving Ohio RTC only to be replaced by his top competitor is too good to be true but is actually true. Incredible turn of events. I cannot wait to see this in person. I’ve never been more excited to see a wrestling match.

Nerd (And anyone else), What's your opinion on this? In the video he said he was walking around all year at 202 and weighed 198 before final X. Was he down this low because he was anticipating going to 86 kilos and now realizes it's not a good idea? If he walks around at 202 all the time it doesn't seem to make sense to wrestle at 97 kilos, even if that's where the bigger challenge is. He's one of my favorite wrestlers so don't get me wrong, but sometimes people make ill-advised choices just because they want the biggest challenge? I guess I'm trying to figure out that if he is 202 pounds normally why he would not cut to 189 as opposed to bulking up to 213. Maybe he weighs more than 202 now but again, he looks pretty thin in that video to me.

4 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

The whole taking on the world angle is a better sell. Saying you are going 97 because the cut is too tough doesn't get you much. Not discounting anything here either, but the two day weigh in would make it that much harder. 

It's a better narrative for the sport, but the whole thing about weighing in under at last year's trials is verifiable. I was actually surprised earlier that you didn't take immediate exception to Cox's statement because he was lowkey throwing some shade at DT. He basically said he's conquered 86 (and 92) and that the real challenge is up at 97.

4 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Nerd (And anyone else), What's your opinion on this? In the video he said he was walking around all year at 202 and weighed 198 before final X. Was he down this low because he was anticipating going to 86 kilos and now realizes it's not a good idea? If he walks around at 202 all the time it doesn't seem to make sense to wrestle at 97 kilos, even if that's where the bigger challenge is. He's one of my favorite wrestlers so don't get me wrong, but sometimes people make ill-advised choices just because they want the biggest challenge? I guess I'm trying to figure out that if he is 202 pounds normally why he would not cut to 189 as opposed to bulking up to 213. Maybe he weighs more than 202 now but again, he looks pretty thin in that video to me.

That was a surprise to me too, but I don't think he was anticipating 86kg and starting his cut before last year's Worlds. That would be crazy. I imagine J'Den wrestled at whatever weight he was at because he could. Why bother cutting weight when you can eat and win 92? The conspiracy theory in me says that he wanted to go 86 for the Olympics but Tom Ryan convinced him to go 97. It's a more interesting story anyway, haha.

52 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Indeed.  I called this back in October and few took it seriously.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:51 AM, Fishbane said:

Word on the street is that Cox will be moving to the Ohio RTC to fill their vacancy at 97kg.

14 minutes ago, pamela said:

It's a better narrative for the sport, but the whole thing about weighing in under at last year's trials is verifiable. I was actually surprised earlier that you didn't take immediate exception to Cox's statement because he was lowkey throwing some shade at DT. He basically said he's conquered 86 (and 92) and that the real challenge is up at 97.

DT threw some shade at Cox once before, so turnabout is fair play. It does dispel the notion of Cox being a Saint, though, kif he is just as willing to throw back. But that comment barely registered from a "throwing shade" perspective given their history. Whether the slip-n-slide win over DT actually qualified as world domination, so to speak, is arguable. But from a shade perspective, it barely registered. 

Edited by TBar1977

2 minutes ago, pamela said:

That was a surprise to me too, but I don't think he was anticipating 86kg and starting his cut before last year's Worlds. That would be crazy. I imagine J'Den wrestled at whatever weight he was at because he could. Why bother cutting weight when you can eat and win 92? The conspiracy theory in me says that he wanted to go 86 for the Olympics but Tom Ryan convinced him to go 97. It's a more interesting story anyway, haha.

My apologies. I reread my post and it was not clear.  I was certain he wasn't doing a test cut while trying to qualify for the worlds but if he weighs 202 walking around throughout the year then, to me, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to wrestle 97 kilos if all he has to cut is 13 lb. Sorry about the confusion.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

If Bo was adding some lbs to be competitive at 97 will it be too late to make a u-turn back to 86? It's less than 8 weeks until OTTs.

Definitely should not be too late based on where he’s weighed in recently (or somewhat recently). Bo weighed in at 87.7kg on June 8th for Final X when he was wrestling 92kg. 

Edited by MDogg

14 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

DT threw some shade at Cox once before, so turnabout is fair play. It does dispel the notion of Cox being a Saint, though, kif he is just as willing to throw back. But that comment barely registered from a "throwing shade" perspective given their history. Whether the slip-n-slide win over DT actually qualified as world domination, so to speak, is arguable. But from a shade perspective, it barely registered. 

I vote he keeps his sainthood. That little jab (if it even was one) is not on the same level at Taylor's comment. But if Taylor wins us an Olympic gold, maybe he can be forgiven.

11 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

My apologies. I reread my post and it was not clear.  I was certain he wasn't doing a test cut while trying to qualify for the worlds but if he weighs 202 walking around throughout the year then, to me, it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to wrestle 97 kilos if all he has to cut is 13 lb. Sorry about the confusion.

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a huge cut if his walking around weight is around 200. He also weighed more than that throughout college (and even in highschool) so maybe he was keeping his weight down through the past year since he was undecided what to do and didn't want to balloon up to where the cut would be impossible. Or maybe that is just where his body performs the best. The real question is why is he eating that crappy looking "pizza" if he was planning on going up?

2 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Anyone think Snyder has known this for some time?  His brother is still at Ohio State and with Cox at the Ohio RTC there had to be some indication before this/

I would bet a good number of people either knew, or had a strong indication. Snyder among them. Hell, PDII knew before the announcement, which means that PDIII knew. I'm sure the word was out there.

In hindsight, the suspicion was kind of fun. Can't wait for OTTs.

13 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Anyone think Snyder has known this for some time?  His brother is still at Ohio State and with Cox at the Ohio RTC there had to be some indication before this/

I think about everyone but fans like us knew. Ben Askren was on FRL and he claimed to know.

13 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

That’s really interesting...I totally forgot his brother was still at tOSU and in the room with Cox.

Just now, 82bordeaux said:

Nobody is asking the biggest question; how much will J'den sweat at 97kg?

Given how much he was able to pour out against Taylor while dehydrated at 86, they will need add some drainage to the mats when he's at 97.