sidakova4991

J'den Cox Announces Move up to 97kg

I’m sure Cox wants to win an Olympic gold, not “just” make the team like some have suggested. Regardless of whether you think Taylor or Snyder is better, the path to gold at 97 is much harder because it goes through Sadulaev. So that means Cox truly does want to challenge himself or the weight cut was too much. In reality both were probably a factor

14 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I’m sure Cox wants to win an Olympic gold, not “just” make the team like some have suggested. Regardless of whether you think Taylor or Snyder is better, the path to gold at 97 is much harder because it goes through Sadulaev. So that means Cox truly does want to challenge himself or the weight cut was too much. In reality both were probably a factor

I'm guessing Snyder's getting steamrolled by Mohammadian may have had something to do with it as well.

The one thing we can all agree on is that the biggest challenge lies at 97kg. To make the team he has to bear Snyder. To win worlds he has to beat Sadulaev. Nothing could be more challenging. This needn’t be about Taylor.

I personally think he can get it done. 

1 minute ago, LJB said:

sure he could...

remember what it looked like him drilling with akgul?

he better just stay put and take his chances at 97...

No I didn't see it. But I'll take your word he's too small. Be interesting see how this unfolds

9 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Nerd (And anyone else), What's your opinion on this? In the video he said he was walking around all year at 202 and weighed 198 before final X. Was he down this low because he was anticipating going to 86 kilos and now realizes it's not a good idea? If he walks around at 202 all the time it doesn't seem to make sense to wrestle at 97 kilos, even if that's where the bigger challenge is. He's one of my favorite wrestlers so don't get me wrong, but sometimes people make ill-advised choices just because they want the biggest challenge? I guess I'm trying to figure out that if he is 202 pounds normally why he would not cut to 189 as opposed to bulking up to 213. Maybe he weighs more than 202 now but again, he looks pretty thin in that video to me.

I am surprised. Like many, I thought he would go 86 kg. It is the clearer path to Olympic gold, which has tremendous value, not just in legacy but also economic value.

Despite the flowery announcement Cox gave, I think the cut on 2-day weigh-ins was ultimately the deciding factor. After all, he took the "easier path" already in 2016, so the idea that "it's not like Cox to take the easier route" rings false to me. (I say this as a much bigger fan of Cox than of Snyder.) Cox was a heavyweight state champ as a 17-year old HS senior, was recruited as a heavyweight by Mizzou, and was even on the Mizzou roster as a heavyweight before he decided to cut to 197 as an 18-year old true freshman. Now, 6 years later, after a brief stint at 86 kg during which he publicly stated the cut was severe (an 11-lb cut for a 200 lber is just shy of a cake walk...), the idea that he is walking around at 200 to 202 lbs without making a serious effort to stay light also rings false to me. Ben Askren, a good friend of and mentor to Cox, who helped Cox prepare for 2016 as a practice partner, famously said not even a year ago that Cox looked like he had already begun his cut to 86 kg while wrestling at 92 kg. 

Cox probably made a significant effort to stay at 200-202 the past year to give himself the option of 86 kg and didn't like how much gas and power he gave up at 86 versus 97, where guys are significantly slower. I buy the idea of a series of test cuts gone awry. 11 lbs is way easier when you have a little fat to lose and are at your "untrained" weight than if you're cutting 11 from a weight at which you've already adjusted your lifestyle to maintain.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

^ see above... all of it... 

no doubt he gave it serious consideration... and my guess is he made the decision that left him feeling healthier... if we have learned nothing in the last few years, cutting serious weight has a negative effect on most's ability to wrestle...

cox vs sadulaev is the match we all want to see anyway...

5 hours ago, Major Kong said:

That's when I learned Taylor was a classless jerk.

Yeah, because one unfortunate comment completely defines somebody!  

Based on this, I would say it takes one to know one

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I am surprised. Like many, I thought he would go 86 kg. It is the clearer path to Olympic gold, which has tremendous value, not just in legacy but also economic value.

Despite the flowery announcement Cox gave, I think the cut on 2-day weigh-ins was ultimately the deciding factor. After all, he took the "easier path" already in 2016, so the idea that "it's not like Cox to take the easier route" rings false to me. (I say this as a much bigger fan of Cox than of Snyder.) Cox was a heavyweight state champ as a 17-year old HS senior, was recruited as a heavyweight by Mizzou, and was even on the Mizzou roster as a heavyweight before he decided to cut to 197 as an 18-year old true freshman. Now, 6 years later, after a brief stint at 86 kg during which he publicly stated the cut was severe (an 11-lb cut for a 200 lber is just shy of a cake walk...), the idea that he is walking around at 200 to 202 lbs without making a serious effort to stay light also rings false to me. Ben Askren, a good friend of and mentor to Cox, who helped Cox prepare for 2016 as a practice partner, famously said not even a year ago that Cox looked like he had already begun his cut to 86 kg while wrestling at 92 kg. 

Cox probably made a significant effort to stay at 200-202 the past year to give himself the option of 86 kg and didn't like how much gas and power he gave up at 86 versus 97, where guys are significantly slower. I buy the idea of a series of test cuts gone awry. 11 lbs is way easier when you have a little fat to lose and are at your "untrained" weight than if you're cutting 11 from a weight at which you've already adjusted your lifestyle to maintain.

He’s been walking far bigger than 200 I’d bet.  Thinking 210 at the minimum.

Remember though in 2016, Cox was also flirting with the idea of playing football (and MMA?) and needed to put on some size. He said after 2017 Worlds that he was done with cutting to 86kg, but he also didn’t wrestle much between then and 2018 Worlds while he rehabbed his knee, so his body may also have atrophied a little bit  during that time. 

5 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Please tell me your joking... the majority of this forum had Cox dropping to 86. You were probably in that camp, I said from the jump that Cox was going up because he couldn’t compete at 86 under the new rules. 

Whether you had him going up or down is irrelevant. The question was, assuming the weight cut was not a factor at all, which would be an easier route to the team. And that, unless you or anyone else is flat out lying, would be at 86. Even if you really thought Taylor could beat Cox (and there is no evidence of this), there is no chance anyone else at this weight could even come close to J'den.

33 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Whether you had him going up or down is irrelevant. The question was, assuming the weight cut was not a factor at all, which would be an easier route to the team. And that, unless you or anyone else is flat out lying, would be at 86. Even if you really thought Taylor could beat Cox (and there is no evidence of this), there is no chance anyone else at this weight could even come close to J'den.

Well he did beat him like 11 to 4 in one match so that is some evidence that he could win.  And he’s teched or pinned like four guys that have beaten Jden.    But sure, no evidence at all. 

In my opinion the cut would’ve been too much for him and he never even would’ve made it to Taylor.  Think James green 2016.  Definitely making the right move going to 97 kg....