Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lurker

Brand's tenure

Recommended Posts

Wonder if any Iowa fans will think poorly of this if they fail to win it this year/next. I don't see them walking away from this period without a title, and it may be one of the biggest flounderings of all time if they do whiff somehow. I still do not think there is any other coach out there that exemplifies "Iowa Wrestling" more than the Brands bros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Perry said:

Also, I wonder what Mark Perry may be thinking. Does he look at jumping ship again for another program, or is he happy to be back at Iowa in a more reserved roll?

I think he really enjoys the RTC thing. He has a lot more freedom and time to focus on actual wrestling. I don't think he liked recruiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcus Cisero said:

I loved the tenacity of the  Brands Bro's on the mat as wrestlers, but off the mat - I never really accepted them as coaches. Cael and John Smith are more of my temperament .Just my opinion.

The Brands are great guys that care for their wrestlers on and off the mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of their in match antics but I do believe they run a good program and have good kids and their best interests in mind. I don't see any way that Iowa would release them win or lose. Only one team hoists the trophy at the end of the year so there really isn't any shame in not winning. A lot of things have to go right to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Brands have done a much more impressive job than people give them credit for when you consider the in-state talent drought they’ve had to deal with. Iowa always dominates in-state recruiting and the cupboards have been bare recently. How many elite college wrestlers has the state of Iowa produced over the past 10 years? Has to be a record low number of NCAA titles won by Iowa natives over a 10 year period. Over the past 5 years the only guys I can think of off the top of my head are Cory Clark and Drew Foster.

How many stud Iowa natives did most of Iowa’s championship squads have? 3-5? The record breaking 1997 team had 3 Iowa natives who won NCAA titles that year (Whitmer, Ironside, and Fulhart)...plus 3 more finalists from neighboring states (SD and Illinois). 

That matters...a lot. Imagine how much more poorly Ok State would be doing lately if the state went on a drought and stopped producing guys like Fix, Brock, Lewallen, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, russelscout said:

https://youtu.be/5DpZAfiQWcc

Go to about the 2 minute mark. Sounds like things are pretty good between them.

I’m genuinely happy for Tony that he and Brands have started making amends. I always thought the early interviews were interesting because Tony always said that Terry didn’t do anything wrong by him, but it was Tom. Glad they are getting back to being on good terms though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

That was a Tony problem.  Dan Dennis was a Hawkeye also.

But was Daniel promise that Tom would be in his corner at the trials as well? Seems like Tom lied to Tony then made up that he will always been in his corner metaphorically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

That was a Tony problem.  Dan Dennis was a Hawkeye also.

True. I’ve actually had an interesting thought lately. Brands should bring back Matt McDonough from becoming one with nature to teach him how to beat Spencer Lee and Thomas Gilman right before the trials. They can train side by side and Tom can promise Gilman/Lee he will corner them. Then right when the trials starts he can say “SURPRISE” and corner McDonough. They all wrestled for Iowa though. So no harm no foul. 

Edited by goheels1812

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Was Tom supposed to not support Dan Dennis? You guys are ridiculous. Anything to rip on Brands. If it actually does outrage you, good thing you are a Hokie and Tar Heel fans. You never have to worry about such a problem at your programs.

Hahahahahahahah. Thank you for the good belly laugh this morning Russell. Have a great day today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

True. I’ve actually had an interesting thought lately. Brands should bring back Matt McDonough from becoming one with nature to teach him how to beat Spencer Lee and Thomas Gilman right before the trials. They can train side by side and Tom can promise Gilman/Lee he will corner them. Then right when the trials starts he can say “SURPRISE” and corner McDonough. They all wrestled for Iowa though. So no harm no foul. 

Dennis came back a year and a half before the Olympics.  He wrestled pretty well at the non-Olympic weight and then dropped for the Olympics.  What are you even doing right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Dennis came back a year and a half before the Olympics.  He wrestled pretty well at the non-Olympic weight and then dropped for the Olympics.  What are you even doing right now?

“Dan Dennis was on his way out to Virginia Tech. Tom bent over backwards to bring him back. Why would you do that to your own athlete that’s #1 on the ladder?”
 

“I found out from social media that Tom was going to corner Dan.”

 

”Ryan Morningstar was going to corner me and I went out to dinner one night and see him having dinner with Dan Dennis.”

 

The fact that you think Brands did absolutely nothing wrong in that situation is crazy to me. I guess you know more than Tony Ramos though? And I think generally Brands is a good guy, especially after watching the Eli Stickley documentary. No one is perfect and it seems like Brands screwed Ramos in that situation. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, russelscout said:

M*: "Sorry Dan. I can't eat with you. Tony might get upset."

What a joke!
 

I don’t know how you can watch an athlete that gave everything he had for Iowa pour his heart out like that and then make fun of him.
 

Is that dinner comment soft? Yeah, probably. But Ramos is obviously hurt by everything that happened and felt betrayed. You’re right Russ, I hope I never have to worry about that problem at my program. And on top of that I’m so glad Ramos is a part of my favorite program now. He’s a fantastic coach and an even better person. But you enjoy making fun of him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

“Dan Dennis was on his way out to Virginia Tech. Tom bent over backwards to bring him back. Why would you do that to your own athlete that’s #1 on the ladder?”
 

“I found out from social media that Tom was going to corner Dan.”

 

”Ryan Morningstar was going to corner me and I went out to dinner one night and see him having dinner with Dan Dennis.”

 

The fact that you think Brands did absolutely nothing wrong in that situation is crazy to me. I guess you know more than Tony Ramos though? And I think generally Brands is a good guy, especially after watching the Eli Stickley documentary. No one is perfect and it seems like Brands screwed Ramos in that situation. 

 

 

Fortunately we have video from the other side, where Brands clearly went out of his way not to pile on a wrestler who was clearly hurting.  I do not doubt that Tony was hurting and upset, but that doesn't make him right in the situation.  The stuff you're posting about is sour gapes.  Morningstar was having dinner with Dennis?  That sounds childish.  I get that he's your guy now, but that's just facts.  Brands discusses in the video how Terry was responsible for Ramos and Metcalf and Tom became responsible for Dennis and Telford.  One guy was clearly more emotional then the other, and Brands clearly did not want to call his hurting athlete a liar or misinformed.  Ramos was hurt and lashed out, but he's still wrong in this scenario.

Brands has done wrong in his time at Iowa, this is not one of those times.

Edited by VakAttack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goheels1812 said:

I don’t know how you can watch an athlete that gave everything he had for Iowa pour his heart out like that and then make fun of him.
 

Is that dinner comment soft? Yeah, probably. But Ramos is obviously hurt by everything that happened and felt betrayed. You’re right Russ, I hope I never have to worry about that problem at my program. And on top of that I’m so glad Ramos is a part of my favorite program now. He’s a fantastic coach and an even better person. But you enjoy making fun of him. 

I'm not making fun of Ramos. Im making fun of you. He is clearly emotional after losing out on the Olympics. Most people don't think things out too much when they are emotional like that. M* was on a couple time title team with Dennis. They not suppose to have a relationship? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

 

Fortunately we have video from the other side, where Brands clearly went out of his way not to pile on a wrestler who was clearly hurting.  I do not doubt that Tony was hurting and upset, but that doesn't make him right in the situation.  The stuff you're posting about is sour gapes.  Morningstar was having dinner with Dennis?  That sounds childish.  I get that he's your guy now, but that's just facts.  Brands discusses in the video how Terry was responsible for Ramos and Metcalf and Tom became responsible for Dennis and Telford.  One guy was clearly more emotional then the other, and Brands clearly did not want to call his hurting athlete a liar or misinformed.  Ramos was hurt and lashed out, but he's still wrong in this scenario.

Brands has done wrong in his time at Iowa, this is not one of those times.

I respect that view point. Agree to disagree. Hope you’re having a good day Vak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...