Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HokieHWT

Willie’s Tweet

Recommended Posts

I think it refers to the fact that wrestling is treated like a second class sport at the Olympics and suggested many times over the years we just say forget the Olympics and just continue to build up the the world championships and not shift the wrestling world for an event that tried to kick us out for speed walking a few years ago 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

I think it refers to the fact that wrestling is treated like a second class sport at the Olympics and suggested many times over the years we just say forget the Olympics and just continue to build up the the world championships and not shift the wrestling world for an event that tried to kick us out for speed walking a few years ago 

Correct that's his take and he has talked about it on FRL in the past.

Edited by calot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But high school rankings are a more worthy pursuit?  I mean, I think anybody who is productive in their work/happy in their life is doing a good job.  Also, I think even the best olympic athletes would say their lives are about more than just the olympics.  Many have families, strong religious faiths, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

But high school rankings are a more worthy pursuit?  I mean, I think anybody who is productive in their work/happy in their life is doing a good job.  Also, I think even the best olympic athletes would say their lives are about more than just the olympics.  Many have families, strong religious faiths, etc.  

Thats a big no no to many of these boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he is just trying to be provocative... 

he washed out of a sport i believe he truly loves... washed out as a competitor... washed out as a reporter...

he has no offspring because of obvious reasons...

his only outlet is to trigger people prone to that...

nothing else...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LJB said:

he is just trying to be provocative... 

he washed out of a sport i believe he truly loves... washed out as a competitor... washed out as a reporter...

he has no offspring because of obvious reasons...

his only outlet is to trigger people prone to that...

nothing else...

Did Willie hit on your wife or something? You seem pretty fired up over a tweet,  you act like he’s the only person with that opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange.  Most coaches will say set your goals high and work towards them because chances are you will fall short but you will achieve far more success if you didn't. 

We live in an age where wrestling coaches are now making 6 figures and chances are, the more success you had as a competitor, the higher chance you have to become a head coach.

Totally stupid comment but it's to be expected by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The delivery probably wasn't ideal, but yeah seems like he's more complaining about the Olympics cutting weights than anything.

I was actually just thinking he seems to have tamed down his tweets recently.  I'm not on twitter all that much but looking at his recent tweets the only one that I really see that was kinda cringey was the one about politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He did it in the way he did it to get people talking about it. There’s all kinds of comments on Twitter. It’s carrying over to here. People that didnt see it will click on the link, etc etc. 

In other words, the tweet was a success to his purposes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And now he has article out about how wrestling is too good for the Olympics. Which more people will now read because of his tweet last night. 

See how this works....he’s not that stupid. Maybe crazy, but...

He's just trying to create attention for his article so people pay to join and read it.Cael said something about the Olympics yesterday as well just Willie piggybacking off what Cael said and trying to stay relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look, i get it - the olympics aren't kind to wrestling so why should wrestling bend over backwards for the olympics but... why would anyone currently wrestling feel that way?

1) it's sour grapes and 2) the reason the olympics mean more than the world championships is that non-wrestling fans care about the olympics. that's it. if you want to play for a wider audience, and all the benefits that flow from that, the olympics are where that audience is. you can win a tournament in a half-empty arena in nur-sultan that's livestreamed on flo or you can qualify for a packed house in tokyo and have your victory replayed in a prime time broadcast on NBC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Did Willie hit on your wife or something? You seem pretty fired up over a tweet,  you act like he’s the only person with that opinion 

really?

i keep hoping one day you people will get a least a little more clever... hasn't happened yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ugarte said:

look, i get it - the olympics aren't kind to wrestling so why should wrestling bend over backwards for the olympics but... why would anyone currently wrestling feel that way?

1) it's sour grapes and 2) the reason the olympics mean more than the world championships is that non-wrestling fans care about the olympics. that's it. if you want to play for a wider audience, and all the benefits that flow from that, the olympics are where that audience is. you can win a tournament in a half-empty arena in nur-sultan that's livestreamed on flo or you can qualify for a packed house in tokyo and have your victory replayed in a prime time broadcast on NBC.

Also, as others have pointed out many times whenever this gets brought up, a lot of countries would eliminate wrestling funding if it were no longer an Olympic sport. Like everyone else, I hate the concessions that wrestling had to make to remain, but our sport definitely needs the Olympics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...