Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Are Volunteer Assistants Really Unpaid

It seems  like every school has a volunteer assistant; some have two. Kyle Dake is listed as a volunteer assistant. But how does this work? Are the VAs really unpaid? Or are they paid in some other way such as by working for another office in the university?

It depends on the school. Sometimes it's a wink and nod for a grad school stipend, other times an unwritten part of the RTC/ wrestling club for post-grads, and sometimes at the smaller schools it really is just a volunteer position.

I did it at a smaller school.  I got paid decently for running club practices and for being  an assistant director at camp.

* by decently, I mean the hourly rate was good.  Nowhere near enough to live on...not even close.

Edited by AHamilton

I’m sure Kyle Dake is getting paid pretty well! As others have mentioned it usually the club footing the bill or sometimes camps. I’ve heard of teams paying a lot of money for a coach (volunteer or grad assistant) to run a few sessions at a camp, but they are obviously overcompensating for the lack of payment that they get in season. 

All Graduate Assitant positions (GA) are paid tuition and a monthly stipend. When I earned my doctorate at VT my tuition was covered and I was paid $2100 a month for 20 hours of work a week. These are different than Volunteer Assistants, who are paid through clubs and camps.

51 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

All Graduate Assitant positions (GA) are paid tuition and a monthly stipend. When I earned my doctorate at VT my tuition was covered and I was paid $2100 a month for 20 hours of work a week. These are different than Volunteer Assistants, who are paid through clubs and camps.

Bingo.  Got both definitions here.  VAs get paid through the associated club budget.  Sometimes they will get additional stipends from other clubs like NYAC, TMC, etc.  Then they get paid for camps.  They most likely get paid extra for placements in national tournaments and trials but those “bonuses” would differ from school to school.  Depends on the contract (guaranteed money vs placement bonuses).   

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Huh. I'd consider a wage/pay good if it was enough to live on, and crap otherwise.

Well, I had a real full time job and my "volunteer coaching money" enabled me to take extra vacations etc.

It was something I did mostly because I enjoyed it, but made a couple extra bucks and even got to go to a national tourney on the school.  

Edited by AHamilton

14 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I’m sure Kyle Dake is getting paid pretty well! As others have mentioned it usually the club footing the bill or sometimes camps. I’ve heard of teams paying a lot of money for a coach (volunteer or grad assistant) to run a few sessions at a camp, but they are obviously overcompensating for the lack of payment that they get in season. 

Dake also has outside income from sponsorships, appearances and competition prize money and bonuses. Someone also mentioned before that Snyder and Maroulis each got a quarter mil each in incentive/Living the Dream awards after winning gold at the last Olympics. That definitely makes it a lot easier to take on volunteer assistant jobs or other wrestling passion projects.

14 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

US wrestlers get 50k for a world gold and world reps get like 20k(?) Stipend.

For Rio, LtD Fund awarded $250k for Olympic gold, $50k silver and $25k bronze. No idea if the incentives have changed for 2020.

Edited by pamela

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

For Rio, LtD Fund awarded $250k for Olympic gold, $50k silver and $25k bronze. No idea if the incentives have changed for 2020.

You're both correct.

Olympic Gold is $250k.  World Gold (non-Olympic years) is $50k.

9 hours ago, Pinnum said:

You're both correct.

Olympic Gold is $250k.  World Gold (non-Olympic years) is $50k.

Money should go to anyone who qualifies the weight as well.  

If I was a billionaire, I would give 1M to anyone who qualifies a weight for the US in any style.  It would be great to see some bald and fat OGs to go to the last chance for a shot at making some “easy” dough.  I think the chance at 1M may even get Cuvo or Chertow In a singlet.  

Edited by Cptafw164