Sign in to follow this  
Underhook

Talking about 184 in the PSU-tOSU dual thread prompted me to look at the rankings (intermat) and holy cow, the amount of young talent at this weight is staggering. Zahid is still as close to a lock as one can be at the NCAA tournament this year, but this weight class is going to be absolutely bananas next year and the year after. 12 of intermat’s top 20 are freshmen or sophomores this year. With the exception of Taylor Venz(a junior who will also return next year), all of the ranked big ten wrestlers are underclassmen(Brooks, Assad, Embree, Jordan, Braunagel, Janzer, Caffey). And this is not even mentioning the stud underclassmen outside the B1G like Hidlay, Bolen, Bonaccorsi, Montalvo, the list goes on and on. Dean of Cornell will also return from redshirt next years I think this means we’re in store for plenty of back and forth series of matches that go across seasons between the young guys at this weight, and it all starts this season! This is quietly becoming one of my favorite weights at NCAA’s this year, every AA spot seems up for grabs except #1 

Per the "2nd Coaches Rankings" released today, there are 10 wrestlers from the Big 10 ranked between #6 & #22.  This will be a crazy Tournament at this weight in particular.   

IMO, this weight class will be one of the most entertaining at NCAA's as Seeds will NOT hold from the first round on.

9 hours ago, Underhook said:

Talking about 184 in the PSU-tOSU dual thread prompted me to look at the rankings (intermat) and holy cow, the amount of young talent at this weight is staggering. Zahid is still as close to a lock as one can be at the NCAA tournament this year, but this weight class is going to be absolutely bananas next year and the year after. 12 of intermat’s top 20 are freshmen or sophomores this year. With the exception of Taylor Venz(a junior who will also return next year), all of the ranked big ten wrestlers are underclassmen(Brooks, Assad, Embree, Jordan, Braunagel, Janzer, Caffey). And this is not even mentioning the stud underclassmen outside the B1G like Hidlay, Bolen, Bonaccorsi, Montalvo, the list goes on and on. Dean of Cornell will also return from redshirt next years I think this means we’re in store for plenty of back and forth series of matches that go across seasons between the young guys at this weight, and it all starts this season! This is quietly becoming one of my favorite weights at NCAA’s this year, every AA spot seems up for grabs except #1 

Think it's a bit of a stretch calling Montalvo a "stud" :D

I agree. Over the next few years, this will be a tough, competitive weight class.

According to Intermat's latest rankings (2/11/20), 7 out of the top 10 at 184 are either a freshman or a sophomore:

Hunter Bolen (#2), Trent Hidlay (#3), Lou Deprez (#5), Aaron Brooks (#6), Nino Bonaccorsi (#7), Cameron Caffey (#8), and Abe Assad (#9).

Seniors occupy the other 3 spots:

Zahid Valencia (#1), Taylor Lujan (#4), and Andrew Morgan (#10).