maligned

American collegians at Euro's this weekend

The European Championships (not the Euro Olympic qualifier) are going on this week. Freestyle today and tomorrow. I saw Micic at 57, the Amines at 65 and 86, and Mitch Finesilver at 74. Any others?

Honestly, the fields look surprisingly strong at the Olympic weights. This has sometimes been a JV tournament in the past during the Olympic year because of the upcoming Euro Olympic qualifier. But it looks pretty solid this time around.

Micic should have a rematch with Atli of Turkey in the second round. Otherwise, it's a pretty open half-bracket. He should wrestle for gold if he beats Atli and bronze otherwise I would think.

Micic falls 7-5 to Atli. Got tossed in the first few seconds and it was uphill from there. Atli mostly coasted.

Sadulaev gets put across his back twice in a near side cradle and was briefly in real danger against Bolukbasi of Turkey. Sadulaev ran off 7 straight points over the last 4 minutes of the match and won 9-4.

Edited by maligned

12 hours ago, maligned said:

Micic falls 7-5 to Atli. Got tossed in the first few seconds and it was uphill from there. Atli mostly coasted.

Sadulaev gets put across his back twice in a near side cradle and was briefly in real danger against Bolukbasi of Turkey. Sadulaev ran off 7 straight points over the last 4 minutes of the match and won 9-4.

Considering Colon threw him to jump ahead in their Pellicone match, I hope Micic hasn't been exposed.  Would really like to see him win an Olympic medal this year, and giving up fours won't help matters.

8 hours ago, whaletail said:

Considering Colon threw him to jump ahead in their Pellicone match, I hope Micic hasn't been exposed.  Would really like to see him win an Olympic medal this year, and giving up fours won't help matters.

Yeah, it was a duck to a launch from behind. Folkstyle guys sometimes instinctively try to push in and fight hands and can be vulnerable to that toss. Not sure if it's a thing or not in his case--but he was definitely rolling his eyes hard at himself lying on his belly in par terre.

Myles Amine is so smooth. He rolls through Germany's #2 with a couple of sweet takedowns and two very tough guts. He wouldn't be our #1, but I'm not sure I'd take Ringer over him at 86 and he'd give Valencia and Taylor very tough matches at that weight in freestyle too. He's got high-level ways to score from anywhere.

Guys calm down. Americans constantly poke fun at russian wrestlers for juicing, cheating, running in the mat with guns, and having a smaller economy than multiple US states. It’s ok to talk a little ****. 

Sadulaev should maybe stop giving up points like a middle schooler. He isn’t tough enough to turn in when someone spins behind. This isn’t a technique issue. He just  doesn’t have much heart. Maybe he should train with Americans and learn how to wrestle

8wDz0LQ.gif

4 hours ago, maligned said:

He wouldn't be our #1, but I'm not sure I'd take Ringer over him at 86 and he'd give Valencia and Taylor very tough matches at that weight in freestyle too. He's got high-level ways to score from anywhere.

Fake news.

22 hours ago, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

everyone from usa lost today! bad news! horrible news! 

Micic BOOM! 

Amine boom!

habat boom!! good bye collegiate juice wrestlers! 

Micic gets Bronze with 10-0 win over Armenia. BOOM!

Amine in finals.  BOOM!

Hello collegiate wrestlers. I guess the juice is working!

6 hours ago, maligned said:

Myles Amine is so smooth. He rolls through Germany's #2 with a couple of sweet takedowns and two very tough guts. He wouldn't be our #1, but I'm not sure I'd take Ringer over him at 86 and he'd give Valencia and Taylor very tough matches at that weight in freestyle too. He's got high-level ways to score from anywhere.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment . . . and take particular exception to the part where you bolster your argument by claiming beating Germany's #2 as an accomplishment of some sort. 

With all due respect to you and Myles Amine, he is second tier in USA at 86 which is why he is wrestling for San Marino and frankly, his road to the finals at Euros was egregiously cupcake-ish- not like he had anything to do with that or is complaining about it. 

9 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Guys calm down. Americans constantly poke fun at russian wrestlers for juicing, cheating, running in the mat with guns, and having a smaller economy than multiple US states. It’s ok to talk a little ****. 

Sadulaev should maybe stop giving up points like a middle schooler. He isn’t tough enough to turn in when someone spins behind. This isn’t a technique issue. He just  doesn’t have much heart. Maybe he should train with Americans and learn how to wrestle

8wDz0LQ.gif

Yeah, Sadulaev doesn't have heart..  he just went full time up to 97 and adapted correctly, then proceeded to pin Snyder and win the World Championships the next year too :P  with Snyder falling short 

7 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Agree with Housebuye.  We do have to give credit where credit is due.  Sads has uncanny luck.  I can't think of a single wrestler luckier than him.  Until that luck runs out, he is going to be tough to beat. 

Sadulaev has uncanny luck?  lol

He just has some of the finest mat awareness and technique on the planet.  It also helps that he adapted to 97 and didn't just decide to jump up right after winning the Yarygin and European championship at 92kg.  

38 minutes ago, sidakova4991 said:

Yeah, Sadulaev doesn't have heart..  he just went full time up to 97 and adapted correctly, then proceeded to pin Snyder and win the World Championships the next year too :P  with Snyder falling short 

Glad we agree Sadulaev is weak mentally. Maybe one day he can win 4 in a row, like John Smith and Jordan Burroughs