maligned

American collegians at Euro's this weekend

On 2/15/2020 at 8:26 PM, whaletail said:

Ironically, were he wrestling today, Smith probably wouldn't even make an Olympic team, let alone win 2 golds, and world championships would be won at non-Olympic weights.

Conversely, how would Dake's career look with ten weights available for the duration?

I'll bet John Smith would beg to differ.....In his prime, John Smith would have found a way to win.

7 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

It sure was.  Everyone pulled 15-20 lbs of water weight then and rehydrated every single lb.  A 134 weighed around 150 lbs come match time. 

This is true, better today. Was not good for sport. But most did it otherwise undersized.

On 2/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, pamela said:

True, I also think Brent Metcalf would have a World or Oly medal if he hadn’t competed during the dreaded ball grab/clinch era. It’s hard to make historical comparisons.

I'm getting old now, but didn't Metcalf go 1-3 at worlds and not even make the Olympic team when the ball grab era ended? They had step outs, cumulative scoring, and 2 point takedowns for his last 4 competitive seasons. 

15 hours ago, GranbyTroll said:

I'm getting old now, but didn't Metcalf go 1-3 at worlds and not even make the Olympic team when the ball grab era ended? They had step outs, cumulative scoring, and 2 point takedowns for his last 4 competitive seasons. 

Don't bring facts on to an internet forum. They have no place here.

18 hours ago, GranbyTroll said:

Metcalf made a total of 4 world teams-2010, 2013, 2014, 2015.

He went 0-1 in 2010 and 2013. He went 1-1 in 2014 and 2-1 in 2015. 

Total record 3-4 :)

20 hours ago, GranbyTroll said:

Thanks for this, I was going off of memory and thought the ball grab era ended much longer after the IOC wrestling announcement. To be fair though the new rules did come in the back half of Metcalf’s Senior career and it likely was a better style and format for him. He was already in his thirties (30 or 31?) with kids his last go at the Olympic team but he did all right, just never got it done on the big stage.