Bronco

No Zahid in the ASU lineup this weekend

He didn’t look his best against Mizzou last week, so maybe he needs to sit it out. Actually I think the ASU team right now doesn’t really look like the same team that beat PSU in Nov/Dec. Not quite the same energy on the mat, guys looking worn down.

I get that the grind of the season will normally do that to you, but Zeke’s got the team traveling to Little Rock, Columbia MO, Central California, Lehigh and out to Chapel Hill NC during this last stretch before the postseason. Hopefully the gap weeks before P12s and Nationals will help them to recover and peak at the right time. Zahid will have to do it twice with OTTs following NCAAs.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

He didn’t look his best against Mizzou last week, so maybe he needs to sit it out. Actually I think the ASU team right now doesn’t really look like the same team that beat PSU in Nov/Dec. Not quite the same energy on the mat, guys looking worn down.

I get that the grind of the season will normally do that to you, but Zeke’s got the team traveling to Little Rock, Columbia MO, Central California, Lehigh and out to Chapel Hill NC during this last stretch before the postseason. Hopefully the gap weeks before P12s and Nationals will help them to recover and peak at the right time. Zahid will have to do it twice with OTTs following NCAAs.

If my memory serves me (and it usually does NOT) I seem to recall that Zahid was injured (they took injury time for about a minute) in either the match he had at Little Rock or the match at Missouri.  I can't remember which one but he grabbed one of his arms in very obvious pain.  The trainers did a little of this and a little of that and he returned like a tornado.  So I'm thinking it must have been during the match vs. Little Rock.    Oh........and the home town fans BOOED him (apparently "thinking" that the # 1 guy in the country was "faking" an injury).

And you're right about his match at Missouri.  He and Norfleet both looked less than their best in that dual.

5 minutes ago, Bronco said:

If my memory serves me (and it usually does NOT) I seem to recall that Zahid was injured (they took injury time for about a minute) in either the match he had at Little Rock or the match at Missouri.  I can't remember which one but he grabbed one of his arms in very obvious pain.  The trainers did a little of this and a little of that and he returned like a tornado.  So I'm thinking it must have been during the match vs. Little Rock.    Oh........and the home town fans BOOED him (apparently "thinking" that the # 1 guy in the country was "faking" an injury).

And you're right about his match at Missouri.  He and Norfleet both looked less than their best in that dual.

Lol....There's wrestlers out there that fake injury time  for a breather or whatever it is, but Zahid and DeSanto are definitely not the type to do this. 

Edited by Daybreak

I wouldn’t worry about them being ready. There is a grind here through the end of the season, but they will sit guys if they need to. 

They also only have 1 tough match at Big12s. Big10 and ACC have 2 (or up to 4 in Big10). They are unlikely to get dinged up. 

Cade Belshey listed at 184 probable. On January 11th. he wrestled Heavyweight Jere Heino of Campbell eventually losing 7-1. 

Reminds me of Jacen Petterson a couple years back for ASU who wrestled anywhere from 165 to 184, even placing at a couple of tourneys. He lost to Zack Nevills from Stanford at the PAC-12 championships just missing the NCAA's because only one slot was allocated at 184 that year.

Arizona State Probable Lineup
125 – #8 Brandon Courtney (20-4)
133 – Josh Kramer (7-11)
141 – Navonte Demison (3-11) or Cory Crooks (2-5)
149 – Josh Maruca (7-10) or Dillon Ulrey (4-2)
157 – #13 Jacori Teemer (11-5)
165 – #6 Josh Shields (17-4)
174 – #9 Anthony Valencia (17-5)
184 – Cade Belshay (3-5) or Austin Clayton (3-2)
197 – #11 Kordell Norfleet (8-3)
285 – #4 Tanner Hall (17-3)

Cal Poly Probable Lineup
125 — Benny Martinez (7-11)
133 — Cole Reyes (7-6)
141 — Jake Ryan (5-7)
149 — Joshy Cortez (9-9)
157 — Brawley Lamer (9-9)
165 — Bernie Truax (13-9)
174 — Dylan Miracle (7-7)
184 — Trent Tracy (6-10)
197 — #16 Tom Lane (15-3)
285 — Samuel Aguilar (7-9)

CSUB Probable Lineup
125 | Alex Hernandez-Figueroa (8-13)
133 | #33 Chance Rich (7-11)
141 | Angelo Martinoni (8-9)
149 | #26 Russell Rohlfing (18-7)
157 | Wyatt Gerl (10-10)
165 | Jacob Thalin (13-10)
174 | Albert Urias (13-13)
184 | Josh Loomer (7-12)
197 | Josh Annis (6-6)
285 | Jarrod Snyder (16-8)

I think if you had two major stories at ASU - one would be the Zahid and his quest for 3 titles and the Hodge....the other being, what happened to Maruca? There is nobody who would have guessed a 7-10 Maruca this year. 

18 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I think if you had two major stories at ASU - one would be the Zahid and his quest for 3 titles and the Hodge....the other being, what happened to Maruca? There is nobody who would have guessed a 7-10 Maruca this year. 

Maruca has always gone hot and cold, but there’s been speculation that his dropoff over the last couple of seasons was either struggling to hold weight at 149, or a minor bout of HEW when Tshirts transferred in and claimed the spot after wrestle-offs.