MonagFam

Are there DII, DIII, NAIA, Junior College Wrestling Fans/Followers?

Just getting a better understanding for the landscape of collegiate wrestling.  D1 wrestling dominates the discussions here or on podcasts/radio, and deservedly so, but what about the lower levels?  

Edited by MonagFam

Hi Monagfam,  I am a fan for two reasons...I love to look for diamonds in the rough.  The kids who were overlooked in HS for various reasons and then pour it on later.  They have a passion for the sport and want to be really good, and can be, but they may not be in the right training environment.  No disrespect to any naia, dii, or jc coaches, but a top DI programs have the practice partners, alumni via club training, multiple coaches, tougher schedules, etc. and that environment is difficult to replicate.

Second, and this is more locally, I like to follow kids who I enjoyed watching in HS to see how they do at their respective national tournaments.

19 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

So you treat DIII fans like Ivy League Football fans?  

I like DIII because I was DIII before transferring to DI.  Wasn’t an athletic transfer tho...I reapplied to a service academy and walked on. Like the Rudy of West Point wrestling.  

Thank you for your service!

13 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

I like DIII because I was DIII before transferring to DI.  Wasn’t an athletic transfer tho...I reapplied to a service academy and walked on. Like the Rudy of West Point wrestling.  

That’s pretty cool. The eligibility clock for D2&3 is totally separate from D1, right? Seems like D1 programs who don’t want to get into recruiting battles with the elite schools could bring on some very high quality non-D1 guys. I guess it would suck for D2&3/NAIA to be a feeder program but it would give the wrestlers a shot at something big and (for D3) athletic scholarship assistance. And these guys are already acclimated to the rigors of being a student-athlete so there’s less risk than say a hs kid or greyshirter still trying to figure out the transition to college life.

25 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

I didn't know how to handle DIII since I was initially thinking of scholarships opportunities when I wrote it.  No slight intended and I would love ro hear more about DIII too!

Fixed title.  :)

Edited by MonagFam

26 minutes ago, GockeS said:

still love DII

was fun to go to nationals and watch 3 nebraska teams

still fun, but not the same without UNO

I'm from Omaha, though I believe I only watched one dual they had (wish I had gone to more!).  I was still shocked when they went from winning the National Title to being told right then "Congrats, getting rid of wrestling" from Trev Alberts.

12 hours ago, John Morgan said:

Hi Monagfam,  I am a fan for two reasons...I love to look for diamonds in the rough.  The kids who were overlooked in HS for various reasons and then pour it on later.  They have a passion for the sport and want to be really good, and can be, but they may not be in the right training environment.  No disrespect to any naia, dii, or jc coaches, but a top DI programs have the practice partners, alumni via club training, multiple coaches, tougher schedules, etc. and that environment is difficult to replicate.

Second, and this is more locally, I like to follow kids who I enjoyed watching in HS to see how they do at their respective national tournaments.

Thanks!  Do you watch most of this in person or are the matches streamed somewhere?

5 minutes ago, GockeS said:

the cluster of all clusters 

I also never really understood it.  Ok, they wanted to go to Division I in other sports -- fine, but were those 9.9 scholarships going to be a real killer to find another women's sport or two?  The football team took up most of those and they dropped that program.  

Interesting that today, schools may not be too far from adding women's wrestling, which might have solved it all had it been today.

I follow NAIA pretty closely. Being an Iowa guy, mostly Grandview and Graceland. There are guys in the NAIA that are D1 caliber but don’t have the academics or ran into some issues at a D1 school. Makes for some good wrestling. 9-10 years ago GV was full of uIowa washouts. It won’t happen in the NCAA but I do think the NAIA will see the success of women’s wrestling and move the men’s programs to freestyle. 

45 minutes ago, GockeS said:

trevboy never liked wrestling

started in on denny from day one.

Do you know why or opinions on it?  I know the school isnt THAT small, but I remember people thinking "of course a Husker alum wouldn't want a competing football team in the state (though it was DII as well).

19 hours ago, Cptafw164 said:

Considering all the rigor thrown at the cadets, it’s amazing any of them had the time and energy for college wrestling. No doubt you are in a special group. Thank you for your service. 

63BBCB93-B329-42F5-8FDD-C79BE0551DB2.jpeg

6 hours ago, Force118 said:

I follow NAIA pretty closely. Being an Iowa guy, mostly Grandview and Graceland. There are guys in the NAIA that are D1 caliber but don’t have the academics or ran into some issues at a D1 school. Makes for some good wrestling. 9-10 years ago GV was full of uIowa washouts. It won’t happen in the NCAA but I do think the NAIA will see the success of women’s wrestling and move the men’s programs to freestyle. 

We already do not have enough Officials for the duals & tournaments that we have now. It is hard to find FS Officials for women's duals in all of these nooks and crannies where a women's program has popped up, nonetheless on short notice. Force 118 since your an Iowa guy we may ask you to take off your Kum & Go hat and "call a dual" for us. 

On 2/14/2020 at 11:53 PM, MonagFam said:

Do you know why or opinions on it?  I know the school isnt THAT small, but I remember people thinking "of course a Husker alum wouldn't want a competing football team in the state (though it was DII as well).

i dont know the mind of a mad man.

however, kearney and chadron still have dII football teams

He could have easily moved the wrestling program to DI. would they be as successful? who knows.... probably similar to NDSU

the thing is he already had the dakota blue prints for moving to DI, he just chose not to.

i think he is resume building and couldn't do that at dII

there was no reason to move.  the hockey program in DI by itself was fine.

bball will never compete in DI

Edited by GockeS