shieldofpistis

How good could Jon Jones had he chose wrestling over mma?

I  searched to see if the topic had been asked.  I didnt see it.    

Jone Jones was on his way to iowa I believe as a champion from a lesser division but took the detour of UFC instead.  Now, Jones relies on kickboxing.  However, when he first started he was at his best best when he was a wrestling and ground and pound figher.  He took down many elite wrestlers.

If Jones did go to Iowa how good could he have  been?  Ncaa champion?     World champion?   

Edited by shieldofpistis
Cortect title

No ones really questioning his wrestling based MMA skills.  But some of his other poor decision may not have stopped him in the octagon, but they haven’t won over many people either.  Not sure if some of those poor traits he already started in college, but they sure got magnified once he gained UFC success. 

7 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

I  searched to see if the topic had been asked.  I didnt see it.    

Jone Jones was on his way to iowa I believe as a champion from a lesser division but took the detour of UFC instead.  Now, Jones relies on kickboxing.  However, when he first started he was at his best best when he was a wrestling and ground and pound figher.  

If Jones did go to Iowa how good could he have  been?  Ncaa champion?     World champion?   

My prediction is mark Perry would’ve invited him on a hunting trip and “accidentally” shot him before the end of his first semester 

I was on a bunch of national teams in high school with Jon, and there was absolutely no indication that he was heading towards an NCAA title at all. His brother, Arthur, though was outstanding, and probably could have thrived at heavyweight. He won a super bowl with the ravens I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I was on a bunch of national teams in high school with Jon, and there was absolutely no indication that he was heading towards an NCAA title at all. His brother, Arthur, though was outstanding, and probably could have thrived at heavyweight. He won a super bowl with the ravens I think

Sorry dude posted my post without even seeing yours but looks like we both agree a long the same lines.

Jon Jones developed late in wrestling.  That's why he went to Division 2 or NAIA or something like that.  Then he won a championship and I think it was Iowa, it may have been Iowa St, that offered him scholarship. 

Jon Jones is one of the best grapplers in MMA.  As far as takedowns, he has takedowns against Hammill, Chael Sonnen, DC,Rampage, and Vader.  The takedowns against DC wouldn't count in wrestling because he pushed DC against the fence, grapped his legs, lifted, and dropped him.  Without a fence he probably wouldn't have taken DC down.  But we are talking an olympic qualifer with him.  

Jones is kind of like Bo Nickel, but more extreme with the length.  He fights at 205, could make a weight under that, but has the reach of a 7 footer.  Every fighter he fights claims that he is very strong compared to other fighters.  Then we have athleticism.  I think Jon grew into this.  I think his brothers were more athletic when they were young.  But have you seen some of the crazy stuff Jon has done in the octagon?  Watch the Shogun fight.   

As far as heart and determination there is the recent Dominic Reyes fight, Gus 1, Thiago Santos---- and even you can see how much more heart and determination Jones had against DC in their first fight-  a fight that went the distance.  He broke DC.  

I suspect the illegal drugs aided Jones because he has not looked close to as good in his last 4 fights. Some say he lost his last 2.  But then again, he abandoned his take downs and ground and pound.  

If Jon Jones committed to wrestling, I don't see how his traits as a champion UFC fighter who has beaten all the legends at 205 doesn't translate to wrestling.  He basically weights less than Bo Nickels.  But he is so much bigger, stronger, longer, and more athletic.  He is kind of a guy with Snyder's strength, but Longer than Nickel. His technique would be the big question mark.  His gas tank is there.  5 5 minute UFC championship rounds is a lot tougher than 6 minutes of wrestling.  

At this age I don't see Jones getting better.  And technique wise, I don't think he was ever on part with an world team qualifier.  But I believe if he had committed to going to Iowa instead of going to MMA I believe he could have defeated any college student at his weight in the US.   Jon Jones is such a special athlete with his reach and length.  I'm not sure if college wrestling has seen someone like him at their best. 

6 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Jones bloomed late.  But by the time he was a junior in college he was the best wrestler in his family. 

3 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Watched his brother Arthur as a 10th grader come out of no where and Pin his way to a 2003 NY state title. It's my opinion that Arthur was the best wrestler in the family.

He was.  But Jones was offered a division 1 scholarship after winning the title at a NAIA or divison 2 or 3.  He bloomed late.  He is sooooooo long.  Can you image how tough it would be learning how to use his huge reach to his advantage?

2 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

But I believe if he had committed to going to Iowa instead of going to MMA I believe he could have defeated any college student at his weight in the US.   Jon Jones is such a special athlete with his reach and length.  I'm not sure if college wrestling has seen someone like him at their best. 

Jones would never have beaten Mike Pucillo, Jake Varner, Jake Rosholt, Max Askren, J.D Bergman or Phil Davis on the mat.  In fact, I doubt Jones would ever had made varsity at Iowa.  Luke Lofthouse was a much better wrestler than Jones.

Edited by stp

5 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

Jones bloomed late.  But by the time he was a junior in college he was the best wrestler in his family. 

And Arthur never got the opportunity because he was playing football at Syracuse. Have seen both of them wrestle your not going to convince me who would have been a better D1 talent because it was hands down Aurther. Wrestling was just a hobby for him couldn't imagine what he would have done with proper coaching.

4 hours ago, stp said:

Jones would never have beaten Mike Pucillo, Jake Varner, Jake Rosholt, Max Askren, J.D Bergman or Phil Davis on the mat.  In fact, I doubt Jones would ever had made varsity at Iowa.  Luke Lofthouse was a much better wrestler than Jones.

He beat Askren at an Open tournament when they were both freshman 

7 hours ago, shieldofpistis said:

He was.  But Jones was offered a division 1 scholarship after winning the title at a NAIA or divison 2 or 3.  He bloomed late.  He is sooooooo long.  Can you image how tough it would be learning how to use his huge reach to his advantage?

He won a Juco title at Iowa central community college and comparing him to Bo Nickal is crazy, Jones is a 1 time NY state champ, bo nickel has been a champion and wrestling on the national scene since he was a child.

for comparison sake Troy Keller wrestles for Buffalo he was juco national champ in 2018 and he was 18-10 last year and was teched by every top guy he faced 

Richie Lewis was a 2 time Juco national finalist at the same school as jones transferred to Rutgers and never AAed 

being a Juco champion doesn’t really translate to Ncaa success, and from everything I’ve heard Jones is the ultimate Anti team, Me first guy there is, which is the complete opposite of what Iowa preaches, I don’t think he d make it through a semester with his attitude 

6 hours ago, stp said:

Jones probably would have wrestled at 197

Looks like Jones has a desire to wrestle full time again, in the WWE!  ;0

February 11, 2020 WWE News: Jon Jones says a switch from UFC to WWE for him is 'inevitable'

While the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion is running out of opponents to face in the Octagon, he recently stated he would be open for a switch to the squared circle and WWE.

The 32-year-old said during an interview with Sports Illustrated: “I think it’s inevitable. I’ve always respected WWE, and I feel like the sports can be so similar.”

“I have the size and athleticism and the following to transition over really well. To get the opportunity to just show up, even as a special guest, would be a dream come true.”

While WWE would be compelled to sign Jones because of his name value, they may also be reluctant to do so due to his turbulent past involving arrests for DUI, a hit-and-run and battery, and numerous failed drug tests.