shieldofpistis

How good could Jon Jones had he chose wrestling over mma?

20 hours ago, Tofurky said:

The video of the Backes-Jones match is gone. I saw it two to three times when it was around years ago. The final was 8-3 with Jones never threatening Backes.

https://cyclones.com/news/2006/11/15/684743.aspx - in case anyone wanted to confirm the score.

Jones would have never made the finals at NCAA D1.

8-3 wrestling a guy in a juco room. With Jones physical traits, and going to a team like iowa, likely would have helped him improve alot, and fast. If Jones was anywhere near where he got athletically in mma, in college, with the right training situation, could have made it look as easy as ruth did.

3 hours ago, Molsen said:

8-3 wrestling a guy in a juco room. With Jones physical traits, and going to a team like iowa, likely would have helped him improve alot, and fast. If Jones was anywhere near where he got athletically in mma, in college, with the right training situation, could have made it look as easy as ruth did.

I can see you making that argument, but Iowa Central were the team to beat in the NJCAA during that mid-'00s era and were regularly loaded with former D1 prospects and guys who ended up going D1. They also have a great coaching staff. Had JJ been at (the now defunct) Darton program in southern Georgia, I'd be right there with you, but he was in the best JuCo program in the country at that time. Jones going there, and ICCC having a roster that spans nearly all 50 states, is no mistake.

As to your comparison with Ed Ruth... we will never know, but I don't see it.

Edited by Tofurky