McMorrow922

Enchemendia

8 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Wherever he is,  I'm pretty certain he's not winning & NCAA title this year like a bunch of posters thought.

Nonetheless, if/when he does he make his way into a D1 program, he's probably an instant contender.

4 minutes ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's there to figure out? Didn't he graduate from Sunnyside HS in Arizona?

I'd assume he has some kind of transcript.

I'd think getting him in school wouldn't be too difficult.

I believe he only was in AZ for a year. Doesn’t/didn’t speak English well. I think there were issues with him being accepted at a university right out of high school.

5 hours ago, BobbyGribbs said:

The University needs his transcript from Cuba. 

It'd show he graduated high school several years ago, if he even went that is.  He's from a small rural place in Cuba, and even though they're communist, not everybody really adheres to compulsory education.  But the real issue is the language barrier, because when he was in AZ he really didn't speak English outside of a couple of words.  I'm sure he's learned plenty by now, but English is a difficult language for foreigners, my girlfriend's 3rd or 4th language is English and even she makes mistakes.  She says Korean is easier. 

6 hours ago, whaletail said:

Nonetheless, if/when he does he make his way into a D1 program, he's probably an instant contender.

That's my point. There is no way he is an instant contender for All-American honors. Not in folkstyle. Not even close.

1 hour ago, ConnorsDad said:

That's my point. There is no way he is an instant contender for All-American honors. Not in folkstyle. Not even close.

TBF, we really don't know.

IMO, he'll be just fine, in yours, not as good.  Hopefully, we'll one day learn who's correct.

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

It'd show he graduated high school several years ago, if he even went that is.  He's from a small rural place in Cuba, and even though they're communist, not everybody really adheres to compulsory education.  But the real issue is the language barrier, because when he was in AZ he really didn't speak English outside of a couple of words.  I'm sure he's learned plenty by now, but English is a difficult language for foreigners, my girlfriend's 3rd or 4th language is English and even she makes mistakes.  She says Korean is easier. 

It is difficult language for native speakers - just look at W Bush and T-Rump!

6 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

From what I heard is he showed up with “transcripts” that where written in pen on a piece of notebook paper, idk how they are gonna resolve that 

13 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what's there to figure out? Didn't he graduate from Sunnyside HS in Arizona?

I'd assume he has some kind of transcript.

I'd think getting him in school wouldn't be too difficult.

You do realize that Isaiah White is not wrestling for Oh St, correct?

It’s fine for him to take a gap year and get his admissions stuff in order. The transcripts from Cuba are likely a non-issue; he probably needs to score decently on standardized tests and TOEFL to show that he’s obtained a prep-level education and can understand English. It’s probably not too different from say a homeschooled kid applying to college.

The bigger adjustment might be going from hs to life as a D1student-athlete, which can trip up many kids esp if they really don’t know what to expect. Assuming he’s not getting a full out of state scholly, Anthony could also be figuring out how to pay for school, books, rent, food, etc. It’s also been mentioned that Echemendia is applying for the Army WCAP, so that might be a whole other set of requirements he’s trying to meet. We should give him the time he needs to get settled in before diving right into college wrestling.

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

From what I heard is he showed up with “transcripts” that where written in pen on a piece of notebook paper, idk how they are gonna resolve that 

Lol, not exactly official documentation.

23 hours ago, McMorrow922 said:

Any clue why he is “Committed to Ohio State” hasn’t enrolled yet, but trains at Michigan? Could Michigan end up stealing him ?

Probably has something to do with his girlfriend being from the Ann Arbor/Detroit area. 

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Did he have a Birth Certificate that would allow him to play on the Cuban Little League World Series team?!! That's the question we need to be asking!

Word on the street (or at least the stands of the ISU-UNI dual) in Ames is that he attended college for a year in Cuba, so his eligibility is not a straightforward manner. tOSU was apparently not aware of this when they signed him.

8 hours ago, Animal197 said:

Word on the street (or at least the stands of the ISU-UNI dual) in Ames is that he attended college for a year in Cuba, so his eligibility is not a straightforward manner. tOSU was apparently not aware of this when they signed him.

This isn't exactly a surprise.  I wonder who ignored this when he enrolled in high school.