McMorrow922

Enchemendia

7 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

This isn't exactly a surprise.  I wonder who ignored this when he enrolled in high school.  

Jury is still out, but you deserve an apology from the guys who attacked you for suggesting he was not exactly a schoolboy while in Arizona. At a minimum, there appears to be enough smoke to discuss that possibility at this point. 

34 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Another topic where I’d eally like to know what is true, and what has been brought up on message boards and ran with as if actually happened. 

Haha yah, this is starting to take a life of its own based in part on conjecture someone (an account with 2 posts to its name) overheard in the bleachers at an ISU dual. Not saying it’s outright false, just that it’s on pretty shaky ground rn!

I agree my account looks sketchy with a few posts, but in my defense I believe I set up my account a while ago (2012). I’m more of a follower/lurker of match results on these boards, and I have to say I’ve been following posts on here for a long time (favorite post was JTTS’s “Iowa Fan” song a long time ago). I just finished a PHD at ISU and have more time to post now. The discussion at the match yesterday seemed like a good place to start with this thread popping up. I think I did address the lack of an official source as “word on the street”. Can’t find anything official though. So take it for what it’s worth from the only PSU fan on ISU’s payroll. That’s probably a sketchy enough assessment of me there!

14 minutes ago, lost said:

If he did attend college in Cuba for a year and later graduated from highschool here why would it matter?

The way it was discussed in the stands at the match is that an NLI may not be able to be signed as easily/the same as if the athlete never attended a post high school institution. Also education systems are not uniform from country to country, so determining equivalence is challenging.

3 hours ago, pamela said:

Haha yah, this is starting to take a life of its own based in part on conjecture someone (an account with 2 posts to its name) overheard in the bleachers at an ISU dual. Not saying it’s outright false, just that it’s on pretty shaky ground rn!

To be fair to Animal he is not the first person I’ve heard mention that, Pat mineo ( the Obnoxious guy who first broke the news suriano to Rutgers) and has been accurate about most of the things he posts, started talking about all the inconsistencies and issues with Echemendia about a week ago including some other things that haven’t been brought up on here that would make the Cuba college and notebook transcripts look small time.

Edited by Antitroll2828

8 minutes ago, pamela said:

I didn’t mean for it to be an attack on you personally and apologize if it came off that way. Some new, possible trollish accounts have come out of the woodwork during the recent PSU/Iowa/tOSU discussions, plus Jimmy’s mysterious disappearance has me on edge! lol

No Worries! I’m not a troll, and I admit I look sketchy. This forum was a lifesaver for wrestling updates when I was in California from 2012-2015!

also- I’m not an ISU wrestling insider. Just work here.

Edited by Animal197

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

To be fair to Animal he is not the first person I’ve heard mention that, Pat mineo ( the Obnoxious guy who first broke the news suriano to Rutgers) and has been accurate about most of the things he posts, started talking about all the inconsistencies and issues with Echemendia about a week ago including some other things that haven’t been brought up on here that would be make Cuba college and notebook transcripts look small time 

Like how he has a son who is in grade school or that he was born in 1995?

3 hours ago, pamela said:

I didn’t mean for it to be an attack on you personally and apologize if it came off that way. Some new, possible trollish accounts have come out of the woodwork during the recent PSU/Iowa/tOSU discussions, plus Jimmy’s mysterious disappearance has me on edge! lol

I lol'd at the last sentence.

On 2/16/2020 at 12:57 PM, MDogg said:

Probably has something to do with his girlfriend being from the Ann Arbor/Detroit area. 

Makes since, still seems weird that Michigan would allow an Ohio State Wrestler to come in & train and workout all the time with the guys. I’m sure Ohio State can’t be thrilled seeing him workout at Michigan either. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Because you aren't eligible to wrestle in high school if you've already graduated and attended college.  

Other countries have different systems that wouldn't necessarily apply here. I think a number of countries are done with their HS term after the equivalent of 10th grade.

Because you aren't eligible to wrestle in high school if you've already graduated and attended college.  

If this is the case I think it’s more to do with a college level school expecting verifiable records/transcripts before being willing to admit a student.  Clearly his prior HS wrestling eligibility wouldn’t weigh on a university admitting him or not.  Arizona HS system can admit him and if they choose even pass him on some type of diploma track.  Colleges have a slightly higher standard of proving eligibility in order to receive admission.  I’m guessing some type of standardized testing (ACT/SAT) would help prove he qualifies, but there maybe other uncertain information that the school would like to see verified too.    Ensuring everything is on the up and up with any prior school documents would definitely hold up their process.  Hopefully whatever the issue is gets resolved. 

Edited by MadMardigain

That may or may not be true (no idea about equivalencies between the Arizona HS system and Cuba when it comes to the education system) but even so I would think that would be an issue relating to his HS eligibility and not college admissions. 

You are basically saying Arizona shouldn't have let him compete in HS wrestling, but I don't know why Ohio State would care about that.  Unless somehow he started his D1 clock based on whatever he did in Cuba and now its expired.

49 minutes ago, lost said:

That may or may not be true (no idea about equivalencies between the Arizona HS system and Cuba when it comes to the education system) but even so I would think that would be an issue relating to his HS eligibility and not college admissions. 

You are basically saying Arizona shouldn't have let him compete in HS wrestling, but I don't know why Ohio State would care about that.  Unless somehow he started his D1 clock based on whatever he did in Cuba and now its expired.

I'm looking at it as more of an issue of fraud.  If somebody involved with the Sunnyside wrestling program knew he wasn't eligible, be it because of his age or because he had already finished high school, and either lied for him or told him how to lie in order to be able to attend school there, then the implications not just for wrestling but for the school and district are pretty bad.  Like if they do discover his real age then there should be some consequences because I guarantee you that one of the coaches knew the truth and either didn't tell anyone or shared the information with others but didn't think they would get caught.  If they didn't fire the wrestling coaches there immedietly if they found this out and possibly the athletic director too, then they are basically saying they don't care about the rules.  The Arizona Interscholastic Association would probably make them forfeit all of their wins as a team and their state championship.  Also if this comes to pass as true, his age or whatever, then in the absence of him being on a religious mission or military service, I'm not sure he would be eligible for D1 anymore, if he was born in 1995.  He honestly should just find a small D2 or NAIA school and go there.  He came here and got himself in the spotlight and now there are legitimate questions about his age and his prior academics.  If he had just gone to a small college or something, then I guarantee you nobody would have dug into his story and background.  

58 minutes ago, lost said:

This. (sorry, I’m all out of reactions for the day, so I can’t “like” it)

On the institutional side, the situation is pretty straightforward.

For college admissions, Echemendia has a hs diploma from Sunnyside. If a college cannot verify that he meets all of their core requirements (x semesters of math, y semesters of English, z semesters of science, whatever minimum GPA, etc.), then he will either have to take the GED or make up the requirements via JC classes, in addition to the SAT/ACT which he would have to take anyway. If he’s considered an international student, he’d have to take the TOEFL also. 

For NCAA certification, none of what may or may not have happened in Cuba and AZ would have an impact on his eligibility or eligibility clock unless it put his amateur status into question. The NCAA academic minimums would be a subset of the college admissions requirements.

I agree that straightening out the AZ high school sports history books will probably be a mess, but it shouldn’t affect his college admissions or student athlete eligibility. It’s not as complicated as it might seem.

28 minutes ago, pamela said:

For college admissions, Echemendia has a hs diploma from Sunnyside. If a college cannot verify that he meets all of their core requirements (x semesters of math, y semesters of English, z semesters of science, whatever minimum GPA, etc.), then he will either have to take the GED or make up the requirements via JC classes, in addition to the SAT/ACT which he would have to take anyway. If he’s considered an international student, he’d have to take the TOEFL also. 

For NCAA certification, none of what may or may not have happened in Cuba and AZ would have an impact on his eligibility or eligibility clock unless it put his amateur status into question. The NCAA academic minimums would be a subset of the college admissions requirements.

I agree that straightening out the AZ high school sports history books will probably be a mess, but it shouldn’t affect his college admissions or student athlete eligibility. It’s not as complicated as it might seem.

Not just the history books but how a school allowed a student who was not eligible to appear one day out of nowhere and become eligible to not just be a student, but also to participate in athletics.  I can think of several problems that could arise if he is found out to eb older than he claims.  If people didn't lose their jobs over it I would be very surprised.  

52 minutes ago, pamela said:

NCAA certification process does care if he attended college in Cuba. If he has already attended a college full-time, then any ACT/SAT tests he takes now couldn't be used towards eligibility. His clock and whatnot would also be affected as well.

NCAA academic requirements have nothing to do with college requirements. Some schools are higher and some are lower.

8 hours ago, Animal197 said:

The way it was discussed in the stands at the match is that an NLI may not be able to be signed as easily/the same as if the athlete never attended a post high school institution. Also education systems are not uniform from country to country, so determining equivalence is challenging.

I thought the reports were that he did not actually sign a NLI?  That his “signing” was of some sort of “financial commitment” or something?